Reload this Page >

The 2022 - 2023 LAX Parking Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 30, 2017, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: chrisl137
Parking @ LAX: https://book.flylax.com/book/LAX/Parking or LAX Official Airport Parking

Recommendations for selecting booking times and total booking periods: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34711926-post186.html
Note also that for booking close-in and and around holiday peaks, some of the off airport lots may offer advance rates that are very competitive with the LAX operated lots.

Interactive map of LAX on-airport (Central Terminal Area) parking status is linked here (includes links to nearby off airport parking if you scroll down)

Economy and Budget Lot Shuttle Tracker (bottom link, light blue) (as of 10/25/23 it seems to mostly show Budget Lot shuttles and some Economy Lot shuttles don't show up on the tracker)

Note that parking rates in the CTA structures increased on 10/19/21.
Economy Parking (structure in part of the old lot C location) opened 10/19/21.
Prebooking is available at substantial discounts for the CTA ($22 vs $50/day) and Economy ($15 vs $25/day) parking at this link

See most recent posts in thread for prebooking discount codes offered for airport operated parking lots.

For prebooking, you must book at least 6 hours before your arrival.
For the Economy Lot, your QR code becomes active 4 hours prior to your booked arrival time
For CTA lots, the QR code becomes active 2 hours prior to your booked arrival time.

Note that access to the Economy Lot is only via Westchester Pkwy to Jetway Bl - there doesn't appear to be any shortcut via 96th.

Fly LAX Official Twitter Feed with general information.
Fly LAX Stats Official Twitter feed with parking lot occupancy and time to T1 from points outside the airport and time through the U on the upper and lower levels.

Park 'N Fly @ Park One and LAX Lot C are permanently closed.
Lot E is permanently closed as of 7/26/21

With the limited availability of parking at LAX as travel picks back up, Van Nuys or Union Station+Flyaway bus may be a reasonable alternative:
Union Station Parking (at Patsouras Plaza) is $8/day. Make sure you're in Union Station East (the underground facility) and fill out and drop off the downloadable form if you'll be there longer than 3 days.
The Consolidated "LAX Flyaway Bus" Thread (2014 - Date) has up to date information on taking the flyaway bus; parking is $5 a day.

Older posts on this topic may contain relevant information and can be found in this thread:
Print Wikipost

The 2022 - 2023 LAX Parking Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2022, 4:00 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Need
It said 20 but only got 10% off, but 10% is still pretty good! Thanks!
It expired at midnight October 7. I found out on October 8, when I booked a parking reservation for next week; I should have done it a day earlier. I need to pay attention to the fine print when I receive these promotional emails.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

New code OCT20 for bookings that enter before Oct 31, 2022 in Economy, Valet, or Premium. 10% in CTA.

I redid one booking by using a dummy plate number, booking the new discount, then cancelling the old booking and updating the plate number in the new one.
corky and Need like this.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 9:31 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chrisl137
I redid one booking by using a dummy plate number, booking the new discount, then cancelling the old booking and updating the plate number in the new one.
+1, except that I did not use a dummy plate number. Canceled the old booking just before finalizing the new one.
chrisl137 likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2022, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
I just got an email that says it will now cost to use charging at the economy and terminal parking lots.

$2 service fee and $0.45/kwh.. that's quite pricy, there goes any real benefit to using these lots until the train is in place, I can find much cheaper charging elsewhere before I drive home.

Last edited by seigex; Oct 20, 2022 at 9:14 pm
Old Oct 20, 2022, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I got that email too, but weren't they already charging more? I thought it was $3 plus the $0.45/kWh. So this would be a reduction in price.

But, agreed, not cheap. I can see using it if you need it, but I can easily charge at home for less than half this cost.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 5:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by seigex
I just got an email that says it will now cost to use charging at the economy and terminal parking lots.

$2 service fee and $0.45/kwh...
That's what I paid in early July.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 8:20 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by josephstern
I got that email too, but weren't they already charging more? I thought it was $3 plus the $0.45/kWh. So this would be a reduction in price.

But, agreed, not cheap. I can see using it if you need it, but I can easily charge at home for less than half this cost.
Last time I parked there the chargers hadn't been enabled yet and the only enabled ones were the rear right that had no cost associated with them, I was assuming charging was included in the parking fee like most airports. Posting this for others who might not be aware that charging isn't free.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

short term parking is a royal mess now - needed to meet someone at Bradley yesterday, took 3 loops as arrival parking entrances at 3, B, 4 and 5 were closed for short term entry (a couple were available for reservations) and then 10 min to snake up the ramps and 3 floors of P6 in a long line of cars in a similar situation followed by a hike to B.. wasted at least half hour... perhaps departures level is better or just park at economy and take a bus
Old Oct 26, 2022, 10:54 am

overstaying beyond reserved time

Apologies if this has been discussed in the past, wasn't able to come up with anything on my searches.

For reserved prepaid parking, what happens if you have to stay beyond the reserved time period? I have a flight in November that was pushed back an hour, and now I'm looking at overstaying my parking reservation in P4 by about 30 minutes to an hour.
I considered changing my reservation, but it increases my total to $300 from about $100!
Old Oct 26, 2022, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CaliTravelbug
For reserved prepaid parking, what happens if you have to stay beyond the reserved time period?
From the Parking FAQs:
  1. What if I stay longer than expected?
    1. If you stay longer than expected you will be responsible for paying the outstanding charges upon exiting the parking structure.
It is item 7.a. under Pricing / Payments, not 1.1. They don't say how much; I suspect that it will be a lot less than $200. If parked longer than a day, the charges are for 24-hour periods, so you may end up not owing anything extra. You can call or email to verify, 310-646-2911, [email protected].
Old Oct 26, 2022, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884
From the Parking FAQs:It is item 7.a. under Pricing / Payments, not 1.1. They don't say how much; I suspect that it will be a lot less than $200. If parked longer than a day, the charges are for 24-hour periods, so you may end up not owing anything extra. You can call or email to verify, 310-646-2911, [email protected].
Thanks for this. I will just take a chance and keep the current reservation. Appreciate the info.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for this. I will just take a chance and keep the current reservation. Appreciate the info.
Just and FYI, I always have my parking reservation to enter in time as if I were to catch the earliest flight of the day and exit at 11:59 pm on my return date. If my return flight is due late at night, I'll make the reservation exit time the next day approximately an hour earlier than the reservation entry time (full days plus 23 hours).
Craig6z and chrisl137 like this.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 3:00 pm

Just and FYI, I always have my parking reservation to enter in time as if I were to catch the earliest flight of the day and exit at 11:59 pm on my return date. If my return flight is due late at night, I'll make the reservation exit time the next day approximately an hour earlier than the reservation entry time (full days plus 23 hours).
This makes a lot of sense. For some reason I had it in my head that I can get a better rate if I minimize the hours, but it obviously counts the number of days, not the hours.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You just answered a question that they don't address in the FAQ anywhere and I hadn't gotten around to asking: what if I show up late for my reservation? And how late can I show up without losing my reservation?

Once you're past 4-5 hours I think you can go all the way to 23:45 without getting a bump up in price.

This makes a lot of sense. For some reason I had it in my head that I can get a better rate if I minimize the hours, but it obviously counts the number of days, not the hours.
It's ever weirder than that. Once you hit 5 days the total price (not price per day) stays constant until you hit 8 days, so when you're pricing it out, it pays to try adding even full days to your reservation to see if the price changes. Pricing is also dependent on how far out you book and I suspect how many bookings they already have for your days.

And to address your original question, I thought I read somewhere when they first started taking reservations that if you go more than 2 hours past your exit time they basically start it as a new entry at the drive-up rate. There shouldn't be any penalty other than paying the higher rate. If I can find it again I'll post a link. You should get a 2 hour grace period at the end of your reservation and I've used it to my advantage in the past. You also get one at the start - you can show up up to 2 hours before your booked entry time without paying extra.

ETA: found it on this FAQ page in the "Parking Reservation FAQs" section and it's better than I thought, you get the same rate as your reservation:
  • What if I overstay my reservation?
    You will be charged your daily reservation rate for every day you overstay. Press the “Help” button upon exit for assistance.
And another edit: The Terms and Conditions page gives information that's inconsistent with that, but it does codify the 2 hour grace period:

Extensions to the Reservation Period

Your reservation is not active until 2 hours before your reservation begins. You are not guaranteed a parking spot until the time you have reserved. If you arrive early, a parking spot may not be available.

If your vehicle stays in the parking facility more than 2 hours after the reservation ends, a new parking session will begin at the posted rates. This additional payment will be required to exit the facility. No refunds are provided for parking stays that are shorter than the reservation period.
So worst case they'll charge you the $30/day drive up rate, and you can probably argue that it should be your daily rate based on the FAQ, but they'll probably fix the FAQ after you do that.

Originally Posted by azepine00
short term parking is a royal mess now - needed to meet someone at Bradley yesterday, took 3 loops as arrival parking entrances at 3, B, 4 and 5 were closed for short term entry (a couple were available for reservations) and then 10 min to snake up the ramps and 3 floors of P6 in a long line of cars in a similar situation followed by a hike to B.. wasted at least half hour... perhaps departures level is better or just park at economy and take a bus
The CTA parking has been a total mess for quite a while. Even if you have reservations, they're coned off and you have to show your reservation to a person who then scans you in. And you block the traffic lane while that's happening. Kinda defeats the purpose of having it all automated.

I've talked to a few people on the bus who did exactly what you suggested - park at the economy lot and take the bus to meet their people. If you're picking people up, it's probably preferable to wait off-airport in the cell lot and have them call you when they're headed to the curb, then just do one loop. Or even better, have them take a bus out to meet you.

If you're parking overnight or a couple days in the CTA, unless you have some overriding reason to do so (and I sometimes do), then you'll probably get in and out of the airport faster by parking in the Economy Lot and taking the bus, because the bus gets to use the LAWA reserved lanes closest to the terminals. It can easily take more than 20 minutes to get from B to the airport exit in the free-for-all lanes, or 40 minutes to get all the way through the U.

Last edited by chrisl137; Oct 26, 2022 at 11:57 pm
Old Oct 27, 2022, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by chrisl137
And to address your original question, I thought I read somewhere when they first started taking reservations that if you go more than 2 hours past your exit time they basically start it as a new entry at the drive-up rate. There shouldn't be any penalty other than paying the higher rate. If I can find it again I'll post a link. You should get a 2 hour grace period at the end of your reservation and I've used it to my advantage in the past. You also get one at the start - you can show up up to 2 hours before your booked entry time without paying extra.
This is perfect. Exactly the info I was looking for and why I love flyertalk. But kinda embarrassed that I didn’t do a deep dive on the T&C or FAQ myself. Thank you for the research!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.