Reload this Page >

The 2022 - 2023 LAX Parking Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 30, 2017, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: chrisl137
Parking @ LAX: https://book.flylax.com/book/LAX/Parking or LAX Official Airport Parking

Recommendations for selecting booking times and total booking periods: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34711926-post186.html
Note also that for booking close-in and and around holiday peaks, some of the off airport lots may offer advance rates that are very competitive with the LAX operated lots.

Interactive map of LAX on-airport (Central Terminal Area) parking status is linked here (includes links to nearby off airport parking if you scroll down)

Economy and Budget Lot Shuttle Tracker (bottom link, light blue) (as of 10/25/23 it seems to mostly show Budget Lot shuttles and some Economy Lot shuttles don't show up on the tracker)

Note that parking rates in the CTA structures increased on 10/19/21.
Economy Parking (structure in part of the old lot C location) opened 10/19/21.
Prebooking is available at substantial discounts for the CTA ($22 vs $50/day) and Economy ($15 vs $25/day) parking at this link

See most recent posts in thread for prebooking discount codes offered for airport operated parking lots.

For prebooking, you must book at least 6 hours before your arrival.
For the Economy Lot, your QR code becomes active 4 hours prior to your booked arrival time
For CTA lots, the QR code becomes active 2 hours prior to your booked arrival time.

Note that access to the Economy Lot is only via Westchester Pkwy to Jetway Bl - there doesn't appear to be any shortcut via 96th.

Fly LAX Official Twitter Feed with general information.
Fly LAX Stats Official Twitter feed with parking lot occupancy and time to T1 from points outside the airport and time through the U on the upper and lower levels.

Park 'N Fly @ Park One and LAX Lot C are permanently closed.
Lot E is permanently closed as of 7/26/21

With the limited availability of parking at LAX as travel picks back up, Van Nuys or Union Station+Flyaway bus may be a reasonable alternative:
Union Station Parking (at Patsouras Plaza) is $8/day. Make sure you're in Union Station East (the underground facility) and fill out and drop off the downloadable form if you'll be there longer than 3 days.
The Consolidated "LAX Flyaway Bus" Thread (2014 - Date) has up to date information on taking the flyaway bus; parking is $5 a day.

Older posts on this topic may contain relevant information and can be found in this thread:
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2022, 11:50 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: oneword Emerald

From the LAX January 2022 Monthly Construction Update:

• Real-Time Parking Updates: Parking structures are quite busy, and can fill up. Guests are encouraged to plan ahead, with pre-booking highly recommended, as Smart Parking features begin to roll out in the Central Terminal Area. Check the latest information on parking availability by visiting the @FlyLAXstats Twitter feed. Guests can access maps with real-time information on parking availability by visiting https://www.flylax.com/en/parking-at-lax. Parking rates and a calculator to estimate costs can also be found on this webpage.
  • Parking Structure 1: An electronic Smart Parking system that includes the ability to pre-book spaces, intuitive wayfinding, electric vehicle chargers, valet parking and more is now in place. Approximately 20 spaces on each level are reserved for Low-Emission Fuel Efficient Vehicles. Traffic exiting the structure is directed west on Center Way to East Way and World Way South to exit the airport when work takes place at Center and Sky ways.
  • Parking Structures 2a/2b: Parking Structure 2a has reopened, however the roof remains closed for work on the APM's Center CTA station. The pedestrian bridge from P2a to Terminal 2 has been removed. Guests can reach Terminal 2 from the Lower/Arrivals Level. A temporary exit is available from P2b onto West Way.
  • Parking Structures 3 and 4: Work to install an electronic Smart Parking system may reduce available spaces this month. Terminal B Pickup on the Lower/Arrivals Level of P3 has reopened, with taxis allowed to use the western-most curb during a pilot.
  • Parking Structures 5 and 6: Work to install an electronic Smart Parking system will reduce available spaces this month. New electric vehicle (EV) chargers are available in both structures. The pedestrian bridge between P5 and P6 and Terminal 6 has been removed. Guests should access Terminals 5 and 6 from the Lower/Arrivals Level. Pedestrians are detoured around a column for a future elevated walkway east of P6. COVID-19 tests are available at the lab adjacent to P6. Click here for more information.
  • Parking Structure 7: Material removal work and pile testing may reduce the number of spaces available on the ground floor. The western portion of the roof is closed for waterproofing ahead of the installation of a Smart Parking system.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That discounted price to park an EV also works at P1. I did it this weekend.

Don't make my mistake and try to enter the first turn into P1. That's only for Premium and Valet. Not EV. The woman behind me was nice enough to back up and let me slip out.

At the second entry, I scanned my QR code and drove up to the 3rd floor, east end where the EV spots are. First one was red, so I re-parked in a blue one. The PowerFlex app never really updated to tell me that it was working, but I did get a bit of charge as my car verified. Note that these are L2 chargers - not DCFCs.

You do have to put $10 on the PowerFlex app to use the facility. I just set my charge amount to 25 miles since my car was already almost at 80%. Cost me a few bucks and now I have some $$ remaining for my next park there. The app doesn't actually show you how much you have left in credit, surprisingly.

So the price you see at the book.FlyLAX.com site is a tiny bit misleading since you also have to buy some overpriced electricity for your car (I think it was $0.45/kWh) but in my opinion, completely worth it for the convenience. If you only park there once, this effectively adds $10 to your bill.

Final note: to get out of the lot, scan your QR code again. I was expecting the machine to read my license plate and let me out, but that was not the case.
Statman likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by josephstern
Final note: to get out of the lot, scan your QR code again. I was expecting the machine to read my license plate and let me out, but that was not the case.
I had that problem with P5 in December. It read my plate and displayed it correctly, then it just sat there and I had to dig up the QR code.

It did work just as advertised in the Economy structure (ITF-West).

I started just printing the QR code, marking what dates it's for, and leaving it in the car until I'm back out.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by chrisl137
I had that problem with P5 in December. It read my plate and displayed it correctly, then it just sat there and I had to dig up the QR code.

I started just printing the QR code, marking what dates it's for, and leaving it in the car until I'm back out.
So there's no issue tying up an EV charging station for a few days?

David
Old Jan 17, 2022, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just added the code to my Apple Wallet and that worked fine for entry and exit.

Originally Posted by DELee
So there's no issue tying up an EV charging station for a few days?

David
Apparently not. I was a little concerned about that also, but that seems to be the intention. These are up on the third floor - not really at a level where you'd park just to go pick someone up at luggage claim.

Last edited by TWA884; Jan 17, 2022 at 8:44 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member; please use the multi-quote function. Thank you.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by josephstern
I just added the code to my Apple Wallet and that worked fine for entry and exit.
I do that too, as a backup, but I like to set my phone up with traffic display before I get going and it's easier to do that while parked rather than at the exit.

A couple quibbles I have with how they implement the Apple Wallet code is that it looks like it uses UTC, so it can give you a brief panic when it says "today" the evening before your trip. And it also expired the code a few hours after your entry time, rather than exit time, and you have to go dig through the "expired passes" and retrieve it.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I do that too, as a backup, but I like to set my phone up with traffic display before I get going and it's easier to do that while parked rather than at the exit.

A couple quibbles I have with how they implement the Apple Wallet code is that it looks like it uses UTC, so it can give you a brief panic when it says "today" the evening before your trip. And it also expired the code a few hours after your entry time, rather than exit time, and you have to go dig through the "expired passes" and retrieve it.
Agreed - had to find it in "expired."
Old Jan 18, 2022, 3:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
For anyone parking in the new Economy garage and who drives an EV and is wondering, when you enter if you drive to the back right, and go through the lift arm, there are some open charging ports available. I was gone over Christmas, and still not even half of them were used. The chargers are J1772, no Chademo/CCS/Tesla adapters that I saw. It throws you off when you enter since the vast majority of chargers still have plastic bags over them and aren't turned on.

One problem to watch out for if you drive a Tesla is that mine stopped charging about haflway through the 9 days I was gone, and I had Sentry Mode on, which drained my charge about halfway, and I couldn't get it to start charging again from the app, so I'd just keep Sentry Mode off to be safe.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 10:10 am

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Just received an email with a coupon code for LAX parking - I presume this can be used by anyone:

We hope your New Year's resolution was to travel more, because we have a great offer for you! Pre-book parking now for an arrival this January or February and get 25% off P1 Valet parking and 20% off all our other LAX parking options* - just use code LAXNY22.

Not looking to travel in January or February? Don't worry - use the same code for any arrival for the rest of the year and you'll save 15% on the online rates.

We offer free changes and cancellations before your booked arrival time, so you can guarantee your space now knowing that if your plans change, you'll get a full refund!
Statman, josephstern and chrisl137 like this.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Got the same email! Parking there tomorrow, so I canceled and booked again. Just beware that you can't make a reservation for parking within six hours.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 10:22 am

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Here's the latest code:

Whether you're traveling soon or planning a trip later in the year, start your trip off the right way by pre-booking your parking online. Pre-book before Feb 28 and score 20% off P1 Valet parking and 15% off all our other LAX parking options* for any arrival this year - just use code LAXSB22.
Old Feb 11, 2022, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Parking in the Economy lot now for the 4th time and it’s really not ready for prime time.

I had a reservation, which worked fine, but once in the structure there were no spaces. Not because it was full, but because half of level 2 and all of levels 3 and above were blocked off. The space indicators are also starting to be wrong already. I ended up in a space on 2 marked vanpool/clean air/ev, which was also poorly marked because they didn’t back the white paint with a black background like the numbers.

on top of that, the busses were picking up at the curb outside the structure where they normally wait on break, but there were no signs to indicate that, either. the signage overall still kind of sucks and they do a poor job of making up for it wit cones and temporary signs.

On the return on my last trip they had only 3 buses, all running close together and waiting as a group for an extended period at the structure- it would have been faster to walk.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OskiBear
..Additionally, this was in the T&C:Extensions to the Reservation Period

Your reservation is not active until 2 hours before your reservation begins. You are not guaranteed a parking spot until the time you have reserved. If you arrive early, a parking spot may not be available.

If your vehicle stays in the parking facility more than 2 hours after the reservation ends, a new parking session will begin at the posted rates. This additional payment will be required to exit the facility. No refunds are provided for parking stays that are shorter than the reservation period.
would this be essentially 4 hr grace time - book start close to 2 hr after planned entry and leave up to 2 hr after reserved exit?
Old Feb 14, 2022, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by azepine00
would this be essentially 4 hr grace time - book start close to 2 hr after planned entry and leave up to 2 hr after reserved exit?
Yes- I don’t think I’ve used it at LAX yet, but I’ve done that at ONT a few times.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes- I don’t think I’ve used it at LAX yet, but I’ve done that at ONT a few times.
yep did it at lax last weekend - booked 5:30 to 5:30, entered 4 15 ish exited around 6 - no extra charges and very convenient.. very pleased with that lot
Statman likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.