Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > LATAM | LATAM Pass
Reload this Page >

Cancellation of flights to/from Easter Island (IPC) [merged thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cancellation of flights to/from Easter Island (IPC) [merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2021, 7:57 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, UA Premier Platinum, OneWorld Emerald, VA Platinum
I have friends in Tahiti who fly a lot. The title of this thread (flights have disappeared) gave me cause for concern!
Old Jan 18, 2021, 10:46 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The weekly PPT-IPC-SCL flight is scheduled to return on 6 Apr 2021. For now.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 8:08 am

Programs: Brand loyalty is for suckers
Originally Posted by HNL
The weekly PPT-IPC-SCL flight is scheduled to return on 6 Apr 2021. For now.
Right, but up until a few days ago, it was bookable on Latam. That no longer appears to be the case. It would be strange if the flight was still on track to return in April, but they suddenly decided to stop selling tickets through the rest of 2021 now.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 2:05 am

Programs: asia miles
Originally Posted by OpenSky
I'm really glad I visited Easter Island just before Rona hit. I was driven by LATAM's exit from Oneworld wanting to go there before the exit. Went there in November 2019. Rented a jeep via my hotel, stayed 4 days. Its worth the hassle.

For what its worth, a client of mine who lives in Brazil, wanted to join, decided not to due to the complications. ( In November 2019, pre rona) He wanted to bring a private airplane to land at IPC ( a Falcon) which was so complicated, Apparently only a few airplanes are allowed to land at any one time, and pilots need to be specifically trained to land there ( so the Brazilian pilots could not). . With the way LATAM is now, I hope LATAM kept the pilots who know how to fly this route.
It is even more restrictive than 1 plan landing at a time, only 1 aircraft can be operating between the ETPs from the mainland or to Tahiti.
Old Jan 27, 2021, 2:16 pm

Well here's a bizarre update -- LATAM is now selling the weekly PPT-IPC Tuesday flight for 12/14/21 and 12/21/21 only. Rest of the year still blocked off. No idea what's going on here.
Old Jan 27, 2021, 2:58 pm

Programs: LATAMPASS Silver, SkyMiles Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by OhDoctor
Well here's a bizarre update -- LATAM is now selling the weekly PPT-IPC Tuesday flight for 12/14/21 and 12/21/21 only. Rest of the year still blocked off. No idea what's going on here.
Sounds like a slip-up from the Scheduling Team :P
Old Feb 1, 2021, 1:05 pm

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
Flight is schedule to operate every tuesday, from 09/07 though 12/28. I personally went though SCL, which was far more regular
The people in Rapa Nui depend on these flights to the mainland, less from from French Polynesia.
LA 836 0 PPT 3:00 IPC 13:05 789 5 hrs 5 mins T 09/07/21 12/28/21

I
Old Feb 1, 2021, 2:36 pm

Flight is schedule to operate every tuesday, from 09/07 though 12/28. I personally went though SCL, which was far more regular
The people in Rapa Nui depend on these flights to the mainland, less from from French Polynesia.
LA 836 0 PPT 3:00 IPC 13:05 789 5 hrs 5 mins T 09/07/21 12/28/21

I
It has previously operated most of the year. What is your source for this claim? Still only showing the two flights at the end of December.
Old Feb 1, 2021, 3:23 pm

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
Originally Posted by OhDoctor
It has previously operated most of the year. What is your source for this claim? Still only showing the two flights at the end of December.
SABRE, point of sale, Chile to be specific.

I am personally more concerned about long haul operations after 12/31/21, of which LATAM currently publishes none

Last edited by OpenSky; Feb 1, 2021 at 3:48 pm
Old Feb 1, 2021, 3:38 pm

SABRE, point of sale, Chile to be specific.
Hm. Still doesn't make much sense. There are people who purchased tickets for PPT-IPC flights in June/July before LATAM pulled sales, and the flights aren't cancelled. And at the same time, PPT-IPC is unavailable on all Tuesday (even after 9/7) through both LATAM and Google flights. So I dunno what's going on but it sounds like LATAM is probably just winging it.
Old Feb 1, 2021, 3:56 pm

If you really want to buy a ticket, ( assuming money no object ) do the following.

1) Call LATAM in Chile [ use the chilean number]
2) Ask them to sell you a seat

They may be restricting this for domestic sale, which is not uncommon actually for Easter Island. Easter Island is part of the Valparaiso district, a lot of the kids go to school there, and the flights are necessary for that and other purposes.

Google flights and the LATAM website will pick up inventory available for sale in the International market, and doesn't pick up all available seats for sale.
Old Feb 1, 2021, 6:20 pm

If you really want to buy a ticket, ( assuming money no object ) do the following.

1) Call LATAM in Chile [ use the chilean number]
2) Ask them to sell you a seat

They may be restricting this for domestic sale, which is not uncommon actually for Easter Island. Easter Island is part of the Valparaiso district, a lot of the kids go to school there, and the flights are necessary for that and other purposes.

Google flights and the LATAM website will pick up inventory available for sale in the International market, and doesn't pick up all available seats for sale.
Even going through the Chilean LATAM site?
Old Apr 5, 2021, 2:57 am

Programs: BA LTG, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
Tried a few LATAM sites (even the local Chilean one) and there seem to be no IPC seats for sale. I have a holiday booked there for Sept 11th so sincerely hope flights are operating by this date (and that I can actually leave the UK!)
OhDoctor likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 9:23 am

Programs: LATAMPASS Silver, SkyMiles Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by moral_low_ground
Tried a few LATAM sites (even the local Chilean one) and there seem to be no IPC seats for sale. I have a holiday booked there for Sept 11th so sincerely hope flights are operating by this date (and that I can actually leave the UK!)
According to the local authorities, Rapa Nui is still closed for tourism until further notice. Even though Chileans were able to get a summer vacation permit to travel within Chile between January and March, we still couldn't visit IPC since the pandemic.

I'm afraid LATAM still won't offer commercial flights to the island until tourism is opened and the future is still uncertain when that is going to happen. A lot could happen between now and September, but even though Chile is entering a bigger second wave right now, more than 35% of the population has received at least their first dosis of the vaccine, so I hope the situation would be a lot better at that time

Cheers!
Old Apr 6, 2021, 11:33 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Originally Posted by moral_low_ground
Good luck to us, I am booked SCL - IPC - SCL end September and now absolutely all LATAM flights to IPC disappeared. Previously they were on sale from 1 July 2021 onward.

Ironically my reservation has not yet been canceled. A cheap Z class - I guess they want to hold on the money for the moment .

Looks like Chile is the first example how even the vaccine can fail or is it about Sinovac and the exaggerations during their summer holidays ? Wish them well ! (btw: looks like that with Astra Zeneca - not certified in Switzerland - we are heading for a similar disaster).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.