Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > LATAM | LATAM Pass
Reload this Page >

Cancellation of flights to/from Easter Island (IPC) [merged thread]

Cancellation of flights to/from Easter Island (IPC) [merged thread]

Old Nov 20, 2021, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Actually, it's weirder than that. If you look closely, IPC from SCL for a month or two before 22 August 2022 are not zeroed completely, they have 7 for several coach fare classes.

But they are zeroed out completely in the opposite direction (back to SCL from IPC) until 22 August 2022! It's as if they're expecting that everyone flying in early July will have to do a 50-day self-quarantine after arriving at IPC???

Departing 07/04/22 - Monday

LA 841 0 SCL
07/04/22 8:50 AM IPC
07/04/22 12:00 PM 789
J0 C0 D0 I0 Z0 Y7 B7 H0 K7 M0 L7 V7 X7 S7 N7 Q0 O0 G0 A0 E0

Ie, I would conclude that this is pure guesswork on the part of LATAM, and they see no point in getting the guesswork completely right at this point.
And now I've noticed they're much more zeroed out.

On a couple recent searches in ExpertFlyer, everything next fall is zeroed except the last day or so in the schedule. It's as if they're loading new flights into the schedule (at the end of the schedule), then shortly afterwards going back and zeroing them out.

So it seems they've decided that this too far out to make any reasonable guess. It's as if they're just setting up the flights so that it'll be easier to go either way (either change them from zeroed out to purchasable, or change them from zeroed out to cancelled) later when the situation gets much clearer.

But it means that someone who has an SCL<->IPC flight from this year may not able to reschedule it for anytime a year from then.
Old Nov 20, 2021, 9:35 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
But it means that someone who has an SCL<->IPC flight from this year may not able to reschedule it for anytime a year from then.
Correct, and those crooks won't refund the travel vouchers with the false excuse of "transfer rejected by bank" .

What will happen after their bankruptcy / take over remains to be seen.
Old Nov 20, 2021, 12:20 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IB+, LATAM PASS, ACCOR
Easter Island to reopen from 3rs February 2022

Hi all,
Found out yesterday that the Chilean government are opening up Easter Island from 3rd February next year.
Translation of the introduction to an article in the newspaper "La Tercera".

"This afternoon, the government and the municipality of Rapa Nui reported that as of February 3, 2022, the island will reopen its borders to tourism, with the return of the regular flights of the Latam airline."

The full article can be read here.
Lets hope this happens!
behuman likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 11:46 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Originally Posted by chilglish
Found out yesterday that the Chilean government are opening up Easter Island from 3rd February next year.
This corresponds to the date Explora opens its reservation, but flights visible on expertflyer are zeroed out and not bookable on LATAM.

This opening being made AGAINST the wish of the majoroity of the inhabitants of Rapa Nuiand the low 70,6 % vaccination rate prmise a bumpy ride.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 12:55 pm

Programs: LATAMPASS Silver, SkyMiles Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by behuman
This corresponds to the date Explora opens its reservation, but flights visible on expertflyer are zeroed out and not bookable on LATAM.

This opening being made AGAINST the wish of the majoroity of the inhabitants of Rapa Nuiand the low 70,6 % vaccination rate prmise a bumpy ride.
Right now LATAM is showing availability for trips Mondays, Thurdays and Saturdays each way starting from February 3rd
behuman and chilglish like this.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by Semphyra
Right now LATAM is showing availability for trips Mondays, Thurdays and Saturdays each way starting from February 3rd
As fate would have it, I happen to have tickets for 3rd February, so we'd be the amongst the first tourists on the island since March 2020, but I really don't know whether this will really happen. I have heard from someone who lived on the island up until a few months ago, that if the islanders with a more extreme view decide to take action, they could actually go as far as occupying the runway at the airport to prevent the arrival of any flights. They have actually done this before as a form of protest.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Semphyra
Right now LATAM is showing availability for trips Mondays, Thursdays and Saturdays each way starting from February 3rd
They seem to have withdrawn it. I tried outbound SCL-IPC Thu 3 Feb and return IPC-SCL Thu 10 Feb on latam.com, and it shows "There aren't flights available for this date".

And ExpertFlyer is showing everything (early February through end of schedule) zeroed out, for example:

Departing 02/03/22 - Thursday

LA 841 0
SCL 02/03/22 9:05 AM
IPC 02/03/22 12:15 PM
789 Daily NA / NA
J0 C0 D0 I0 Z0 Y0 B0 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 X0 S0 N0 Q0 O0 G0 A0 E0

Since I didn't see your post until almost a week after you posted it, I can't tell how quickly those flights may have disappeared.

Last edited by sdsearch; Nov 28, 2021 at 9:03 am
Old Nov 28, 2021, 6:25 pm

They seem to have withdrawn it. I tried outbound SCL-IPC Thu 3 Feb and return IPC-SCL Thu 10 Feb on latam.com, and it shows "There aren't flights available for this date".

And ExpertFlyer is showing everything (early February through end of schedule) zeroed out, for example:

Departing 02/03/22 - Thursday

LA 841 0
SCL 02/03/22 9:05 AM
IPC 02/03/22 12:15 PM
789 Daily NA / NA
J0 C0 D0 I0 Z0 Y0 B0 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 X0 S0 N0 Q0 O0 G0 A0 E0

Since I didn't see your post until almost a week after you posted it, I can't tell how quickly those flights may have disappeared.
I am quite new to ExpertFlyer, but is it at all possible that the flights are sold out, considering the amount of people who have had to rebook again and again?
Old Nov 29, 2021, 5:12 am

Programs: BA GfL, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
I am quite new to ExpertFlyer, but is it at all possible that the flights are sold out, considering the amount of people who have had to rebook again and again?
No. I am due to go to IPC in March and all those flights are still zero'd as well. Would be nice to see LATAM get on the ball as I have some travel vouchers with them that expire end of Dec and I'd like to use them for an actual flight rather than argue for an extension or something else.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, they wouldn't have rebooked every seat on every flight. When ExpertFlyer shows 0 in every fare bucket on every day, that means no seats at all are available for sale on any flight on any day. If the airline has even one economy seat for sale, ExpertFlyer would show at least Y1 that case. So Y0 proves there are no economy seats for sale, and other letters all being 0 means there no seats in any other cabins for sale.

My flight (for last month, booked in Dec 2020) was never booked more than about 5 % seats taken before it was cancelled. I so I doubt that any flights that would been rebooked during a very short time of availability (given that most people wouldn't know of that very short time of availability or would have had problems with LATAM site at that time like I did) would have been rebooked to totally full instantly. But totally full is the only kind of rebooking that would zero out everything.
chilglish likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

btw, when I go to LATAM and try look up my late Nov SPC<->IPC flight the way I was able to do before (ticket identifier code and surname) it says I can't look it up online, I have to call Customer Support. Huh? Before they sent me an email saying I could change my flight to a new one online until the end of December!
Well, it changed again. On Friday (two days ago), I looked it up again with ticket identifier code and surname, and this time it found it, and it instantly said I was due a refund (it didn't even give me a rebooking option).

So now I have wait and see whether they really refund my points and leave them there for a while. The confusing form said that the same number of points that have been used for the flight had expired, but then said that the same number of points were going to be refunded (and another page later repeated that they were going to be refunded).

I also have to wait and see whether they refund the $16 award booking fees. They made no mention of that during the refund process.

Still, it seemed an improvement to be able to do it online, because I stayed on hold for half an hour with no answer (before I gave up) on a phone call to LATAM (USA number) a week earlier.
Old Dec 12, 2021, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, it changed again. On Friday (two days ago), I looked it up again with ticket identifier code and surname, and this time it found it, and it instantly said I was due a refund (it didn't even give me a rebooking option).

So now I have wait and see whether they really refund my points and leave them there for a while. The confusing form said that the same number of points that have been used for the flight had expired, but then said that the same number of points were going to be refunded (and another page later repeated that they were going to be refunded).

I also have to wait and see whether they refund the $16 award booking fees. They made no mention of that during the refund process.

Still, it seemed an improvement to be able to do it online, because I stayed on hold for half an hour with no answer (before I gave up) on a phone call to LATAM (USA number) a week earlier.
Well, they refunded my 86k or so points, but those are only showing on the old (and now apparently only Brazilian-Portuguese) Multiplus site. On the LATAM US site it still only shows the 8k points I had before the refund! (The Portuguese Multiplus site it showing 94k, ie the sum of the 86k refund plus the 8k I had before the refund.)

I've not yet seen the $16 award booking fee at either my credit card account nor my LATAM Wallet.

But my first concern is being able to see my 86k points in English (so I can, for example, see when / if they will expire), and to be able to use them (which presumably requires them to finish the transition to the new LATAM site from Multiplus?). I've sent an Inquiry to LATAM about when that is estimated to happen, but whether they'll have an answer or not I don't know.
Semphyra likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've not yet seen the $16 award booking fee at either my credit card account nor my LATAM Wallet.
Well, about a week and a half after I initiated the refund, I finally got an email that the $16 award booking fee has been issued as a voucher good for about one year. They say I can do things with it on the LATAM site including exchanging for "cash", but my LATAM Wallet page says those features are not enabled yet. So I'm just going wait a while to see how the LATAM site continues its refresh (and its transition from Multiplus).
Semphyra likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 7:10 am

Programs: LATAMPASS Silver, SkyMiles Silver Medallion
The vaccination rate of the island is 74% (against a goal of 80%) and there is already 80% of the target population with the first dose

At least from the epidemiology side, it seems there will be no issue opening in February

chilglish likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2021, 10:58 am

Programs: BA GfL, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
I just booked my tickets for Mid March and availability has been going fast this week (SCL-IPC)

I booked on the LATAM website in Chile as fares are way lower than the UK LATAM site which did not seem to be the case before when travelling to IPC. LATAM availability is all over the place often with only full fare buckets showing. I am going to IPC, CJC and CUZ on this trip and sometimes the J fares are cheaper than the Premium Eco.

Anyway, glad to get the IPC tickets whilst they are still going but still a bit suspect whether travel in March will be on

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.