Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > LATAM | LATAM Pass
Reload this Page >

Cancellation of flights to/from Easter Island (IPC) [merged thread]

Old Nov 18, 2020, 3:23 am
Original Poster

I'm searching for flights from Santiago de Chile SCL to Easter Island IPC as Chile is re-opening for international tourism. But to me it seems that there are no flights until 1st of March, 2021.

Is that correct? Is there any message or press release from LATAM confirming this? AFAIK LATAM is the only airline serving the route, so does it mean that also inhabitants of Easter Island are forced to remain on the island for another 3 months?

Or did I miss something?
Old Nov 19, 2020, 10:23 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IB+, LATAM PASS, ACCOR
Hi Waudiz,
I actually have 4 return tickets to IPC (Easter Island) departing on 31 January and returning 15 February. I have had to modify these several times due to cancelled flights several times already. My current flights have not been cancelled yet, but I am not too hopeful since a contact of mine on the island has it on good authority (the mayor’s) that the island will not be opening up to visitors before the second trimester. Indeed, if the mayor has it his own way, they would like to remain closed to tourism until September 2021!
You are right about LATAM having a monopoly on flights there. As for the islanders getting on and off the island, there have been some flights which have taken islanders and supplies.
Hope this helps.
On another note, LATAM seem to be constantly cancelling flights and changing departure times for many national flights. A friend who has return tickets from SCL-PMC (Puerto Montt) has had her flights modified/cancelled at least 6 times!

Last edited by chilglish; Nov 20, 2020 at 4:16 am Reason: Adding information
Old Nov 20, 2020, 8:00 pm

Programs: LATAMPASS Silver, SkyMiles Silver Medallion
LATAM is not sure when regular flights to IPC will be reinstated since it depends on the local and central authorities. There are a couple of flights scheduled now and then but they are for residents and humanitarian reasons only, as far as I know

Note that it's mostly sure that only a couple of weekly flights will be reinstated. For example this week LATAM only offered 5 weekly flights to Punta Arenas, another remote location
chilglish likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2020, 6:55 am

somewhat related - is there any way to book this flight with miles now? I had a RT ticket issued last year through British Airways that I ended up having to cancel. Couldn't find any availability through Delta. Cash prices for this route are pretty high.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 11:51 am

Programs: Brand loyalty is for suckers
Originally Posted by D_C_B
somewhat related - is there any way to book this flight with miles now? I had a RT ticket issued last year through British Airways that I ended up having to cancel. Couldn't find any availability through Delta. Cash prices for this route are pretty high.
I am in the exact same position. I booked PPT-IPC in J with avios last year through BA, but that obviously didn't happen. There's no availability for SkyMiles as of now. The only option is to transfer Marriott points to LATAM (3:1 ratio), which does not offer a great value (it ends up being like ~150,000 Marriott points each way).
Old Jan 14, 2021, 7:59 am

Papeete - Easter Island flights have disappeared

The weekly Tuesday flight from PPT to IPC has disappeared again on the schedule for the rest of the year. Dropped off my Google Flights tracker and isn't available on Latam.com either. Anyone know what's going on?
Old Jan 14, 2021, 9:28 am

Programs: On the way to lowly LATAM Gold, AA, MiClub Lider
Rapa Nui with few exceptions hasn't been allowing any non-Rapa Nui residents onto the island for months. The estimate is it may be locked down till the end of June as the supposed goal is 100% vaccination of the island residents. They make their own rules on these matters even though they are a part of Chile.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by Viajero Perpetuo
Rapa Nui with few exceptions hasn't been allowing any non-Rapa Nui residents onto the island for months. The estimate is it may be locked down till the end of June as the supposed goal is 100% vaccination of the island residents. They make their own rules on these matters even though they are a part of Chile.
Right, but up until yesterday, you could book flights from PPT to IPC after April; those flights disappeared today. I'm trying to figure out what new has changed.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 11:14 pm

Programs: AS 100K
i have an IPC itinerary that I rebooked a couple months ago to mid April and my SCL-IPC legs still shows up and let's me select a seat (in app). In my experience, if LA were to drop IPC, I would have not seen it in my reservation. Perhaps, maybe the system hasn't canceled bookings yet?
Old Jan 17, 2021, 8:33 am

I would watch your reservation like a hawk, and even call in to verify that your flight is still operating.

I had LATAM cancel flights on me without any notice, and change time of flights and equipment without notice. One of the cancelled flights, from Puerto Natales, required a complete reworking of my trip as there were no alternatives for days. The flight still showed in my reservations on the LATAM app even long after I got a refund for the trip. I was also scheduled on the SCL-IPC-PPT route a few years back only to have the 787 Trent engine fiasco cause tremendous uncertainty in my trip. Ultimately when the equipment and operator changed to a Wamos 747, and that was enough for me to cancel. A last minute cancellation of the IPC-PPT route would be disastrous, as there aren't any easy alternatives other than flying up to LAX then over, or going to New Zealand and backtracking. Both alternatives also mean backtracking from Easter Island if you make it that far, one of the most remote airports in the world. And all that assumes LATAM would be even willing to help you out in arranging for other flights to get to PPT.
Old Jan 17, 2021, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OhDoctor
Right, but up until yesterday, you could book flights from PPT to IPC after April; those flights disappeared today. I'm trying to figure out what new has changed.
I don't know about LATAM specifically, but this has happening since Covid started at lots of airlines, for flights to lots of different locations: Someone at the airline puts flights on the schedule just in case they will be able to fly by then, and then later, closer in to the flight dates, someone (else?) realizing they won't be able to fly that early, due to Covid reasons, takes them off the schedule.

And how far out this happens varies a lot. Some airlines only cancel flights no more than a month or two out, at least LATAM did it further out in this case.
Old Jan 17, 2021, 2:40 pm

Programs: AS 100K
I just checked for my dates in April and the IPC flights are for sale on the LATAM site. Maybe there was a temp glitch when the OP searched. Whether the flights will actually happen, that's another story.
Old Jan 17, 2021, 5:38 pm

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
I'm really glad I visited Easter Island just before Rona hit. I was driven by LATAM's exit from Oneworld wanting to go there before the exit. Went there in November 2019. Rented a jeep via my hotel, stayed 4 days. Its worth the hassle.

For what its worth, a client of mine who lives in Brazil, wanted to join, decided not to due to the complications. ( In November 2019, pre rona) He wanted to bring a private airplane to land at IPC ( a Falcon) which was so complicated, Apparently only a few airplanes are allowed to land at any one time, and pilots need to be specifically trained to land there ( so the Brazilian pilots could not). . With the way LATAM is now, I hope LATAM kept the pilots who know how to fly this route.
Old Jan 17, 2021, 5:46 pm

Programs: On the way to lowly LATAM Gold, AA, MiClub Lider
Originally Posted by OpenSky
With the way LATAM is now, I hope LATAM kept the pilots who know how to fly this route.
They have to as they are the only commercial airline serving Rapa Nui.

A little history, the airport infrastructure was built by the US gov back in the days when they were monitoring the South Pacific French atomic tests. It was also one of the emergency landing strips for the US Space Shuttle that thankfully was never needed.
Old Jan 17, 2021, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by atcanobbio
I just checked for my dates in April and the IPC flights are for sale on the LATAM site. Maybe there was a temp glitch when the OP searched. Whether the flights will actually happen, that's another story.
The weekly nonstop flight from PPT-IPC? Still doesn't appear on Latam's site, or Google flights.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.