Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > LATAM | LATAM Pass
Reload this Page >

Cancellation of flights to/from Easter Island (IPC) [merged thread]

Cancellation of flights to/from Easter Island (IPC) [merged thread]

Old Aug 15, 2021, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Semphyra
When did you originally booked that flight? That may be true if you bought the ticket on 2020.
Valid for fully unused tickets up to 12 months from the original trip commencement date and for partially used tickets subject to the maximum stay allowed by the fare. However, fortickets with original trip commencement date between March 01, 2020 and December 31, 2020, tickets may be changed until December 31, 2021, according to system availability.e

https://www.latamtrade.com/en_us/new...s_afectados_en
Yes, I booked the flight on December 31, 2020 (the last date mentioned here!).

My only concern now is: What happens if I change to a date in 2022 that they cancel yet again because of yet another Covid concern (such as yet another variant)? What will be the policy then?
Old Aug 15, 2021, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chilglish
Flights are now appearing on 14th, 21st and 28th December (just one flight each way) and then daily from 1st January onwards.
Given LATAM's (and Chile's) track record, that's not how I would phrase it.

First of all, they have those same once-a-week (Tuesdays only) flights in late November too, and that's how they've been showing them for several weeks now. So I don't think the once-a-week flights are necessarily new. (I saw them because I had an ExpertFlyer search saved for +/- 3 days in each direction.) I think that's simply the only flights they didn't zero out for the remainder of 2021. (But whether those Tuesday-only flights are truly open to anyone or just for essential workers or something, I have no clue; since I didn't want to travel on Tuesdays anyway I didn't try to switch to them.)

But I fear that the situation from 1st January onwards may be that they simply haven't cancelled that far out yet. They've been cancelling a few months at a time every few months so far. I do hope they stop, but I fear they might not stop.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 9:01 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Travel voucher the best option, Rapa Nui not an option this year for sure

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Would opt for a travel voucher which can be refunded to your bank account.

Chile has indeed a "month by month" track record which gives absolutely no visibility or perspectives. I feel bad for the many wonderful people and their businesses working with international tourists.

The current restrictions are till end August but will of course be extended and even if they should open to tourists I am afraid that it will be with a 5 + 5 days quarantine which will not help arrivals.

Double vaccinated travellers with a PCR test before departure and within 2 days of arrival is wishful thinking. Compared to let's say Switzerland, where EVERYBODY can enter being double vaccinated this appears to be a very fearful attitude. Must be reasons for it.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 9:05 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IB+, LATAM PASS, ACCOR

First of all, they have those same once-a-week (Tuesdays only) flights in late November too, and that's how they've been showing them for several weeks now. So I don't think the once-a-week flights are necessarily new. (I saw them because I had an ExpertFlyer search saved for +/- 3 days in each direction.) I think that's simply the only flights they didn't zero out for the remainder of 2021. (But whether those Tuesday-only flights are truly open to anyone or just for essential workers or something, I have no clue; since I didn't want to travel on Tuesdays anyway I didn't try to switch to them.)

But I fear that the situation from 1st January onwards may be that they simply haven't cancelled that far out yet. They've been cancelling a few months at a time every few months so far. I do hope they stop, but I fear they might not stop.
I've also been keeping my eye on this flight for a while now (since last August when I originally bought the tickets) and as a resident of Chile I realise that Latam's track record is less than stellar. However, just before I wrote that information, all flights to and from Easter Island had completely disappeared from August onwards. There was nothing whatsoever according to what I looked up online AND the LATAM service agent I spoke to. The once a week flight I mentioned appeared a few days later, but to be honest, I hadn't been checking prior to that, since I had somewhat nave hopes that we'd be able to travel in September. When I the flights reappeared a few days later, neither the agent nor I were able to find any flights departing before December. I imagine that they have since added the November ones you mention and they will continue to "play" around with schedules as best suits them to try to work around the latest restrictions.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 11:58 am

Programs: Brand loyalty is for suckers
Originally Posted by behuman
Must be reasons for it.
The reason is the dirth of medical infrastructure on the island, coupled with how far away the closest facilities would be (literally thousands of miles away, at Santiago). There's one hospital at Hanga Roa that could only reasonably accommodate a handful of really sick patients before being overwhelmed.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 1:10 pm

Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Originally Posted by OhDoctor
The reason is the dirth of medical infrastructure on the island, coupled with how far away the closest facilities would be (literally thousands of miles away, at Santiago). There's one hospital at Hanga Roa that could only reasonably accommodate a handful of really sick patients before being overwhelmed.
Not talking only about Rapa Nui, but about Chile in general. As a doctor how do you explain their policy of total closure of the country, almost like Australia / New Zealand.

Meanwhile one could travel freely to Colombia or Brazil.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 3:09 pm

Programs: Brand loyalty is for suckers
Originally Posted by behuman
Not talking only about Rapa Nui, but about Chile in general. As a doctor how do you explain their policy of total closure of the country, almost like Australia / New Zealand.

Meanwhile one could travel freely to Colombia or Brazil.
Sorry, misunderstood; the mainland is obviously a different story. Chile actually has among the highest vaccinations rates in South America, so I guess they've just made the calculation that the tourism dollars aren't as vital to their economy as other countries -- tourism accounts for barely 3% of their economy, compared to somewhere like French Polynesia, where it approaches 90%(!!).
behuman and chilglish like this.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 3:28 pm

Programs: On the way to lowly LATAM Gold, AA, MiClub Lider
As a resident who has not left the country in over two years, it is the variants and the government purposely moving slow after being accused of moving too fast.

Remember, the delta variant supposedly arrived and is now spread in the wild in Chile because Chilean citizens returned to Chile from the exterior and somehow bypassed the quarantine and other rules upon arrival.

Also consider the national state of emergency which is currently extended through September 30 giving the government little incentive to move quickly in reopening the border.

And consider the political situation where there is a circus constitutional convention going on and also campaigning for the November presidential and congressional election and any misstep by the gov regarding the virus will be used to propaganda advantage by the opposition.

And yes, any flights you see currently or in the near future going to Rapa Nui are for Rapa Nui residents and cargo.
behuman and OhDoctor like this.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 2:31 am

Originally Posted by OhDoctor
tourism accounts for barely 3% of their economy
This and the orderly surroundings make Chile the top destination for conoisseurs in South America. There is also a strong movement towards quality in hospitaity industry and rising top chefs like Guzman at Borago......

I have scheduled two trips, one in October 2021 and one in February 2022 (when I will hopefully be driving down all the Carretera Austral). Hope the second will work!
chilglish likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 8:41 am

Programs: LATAMPASS Silver, SkyMiles Silver Medallion
Yes, I booked the flight on December 31, 2020 (the last date mentioned here!).

My only concern now is: What happens if I change to a date in 2022 that they cancel yet again because of yet another Covid concern (such as yet another variant)? What will be the policy then?
If I understand the policy correctly, if the flight is cancelled again, you should be entitled to a new change free of charge. You shoud be able to set the new flight date up to 12 months after the commencement date of your first reissued ticket.

This COVID policy ends on October 31th, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is a extension if the goverments still have strict travel policies.

After this special policy ends, the regular cancelation policy will be applied. That is, you are entitled to a change without fare differences -7/+15 days of the flight date; change of destination and/or other dates paying the fare difference; or full refund
chilglish likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2021, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Semphyra
If I understand the policy correctly, if the flight is cancelled again, you should be entitled to a new change free of charge. You shoud be able to set the new flight date up to 12 months after the commencement date of your first reissued ticket.

This COVID policy ends on October 31th, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is a extension if the goverments still have strict travel policies.

After this special policy ends, the regular cancelation policy will be applied. That is, you are entitled to a change without fare differences -7/+15 days of the flight date; change of destination and/or other dates paying the fare difference; or full refund
But this is LATAM points redemption, and i cannot figure out the regular cancelation policy for points redemption at LATAM. They have some murky language saying that the points will be reinstated per the original expiration, but the original expiration was Jan 1, 2021 (ie, I made the booking one day before all those points were going to expire!), so would they really be reinstated and for how long?

It's the interplay of all these cancellations with LATAM's horrid "hard" points expiration policy that has me concerned.
Old Aug 22, 2021, 1:13 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IB+, LATAM PASS, ACCOR
But this is LATAM points redemption, and i cannot figure out the regular cancelation policy for points redemption at LATAM. They have some murky language saying that the points will be reinstated per the original expiration, but the original expiration was Jan 1, 2021 (ie, I made the booking one day before all those points were going to expire!), so would they really be reinstated and for how long?

It's the interplay of all these cancellations with LATAM's horrid "hard" points expiration policy that has me concerned.
Hi there,
I would recommend giving them a call. I have had very helpful and knowledgeable agents on the line. Just make sure you press the English-speaking option (I've never had to wait more than 5 minutes), since they shunt any Chilean callers onto endless queues or even worse, a recorded message telling you to sort yourself out online.
Old Aug 22, 2021, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chilglish
Hi there,
I would recommend giving them a call. I have had very helpful and knowledgeable agents on the line. Just make sure you press the English-speaking option (I've never had to wait more than 5 minutes), since they shunt any Chilean callers onto endless queues or even worse, a recorded message telling you to sort yourself out online.
Well, I have had the exact opposite experience. When pressed the English-speaking option, I always got someone who was speaking with a background of a lot of noise and thus hard to understand, and they said they had to forward my questions (about points expiration) to someone else, and the phone call always dropped before I got connected to the next person.

I had a little more luck with getting info with online requests, but the problem there is that no matter how incompletely they answered the question, they considered the request closed after they answered once.
Old Aug 23, 2021, 8:35 am

Programs: LATAMPASS Silver, SkyMiles Silver Medallion

According to the Chilean terms they will retain the original expiration: https://latampass.latam.com/es_cl/de...-y-condiciones

Gestionada la devolucin, las Millas LATAM Pass no vencidas sern abonadas nuevamente en la cuenta de Millas LATAM Pass del socio, manteniendo su vigencia original.
Once the return has been processed, the unexpired LATAM Pass Miles will be credited back to the member's LATAM Pass Miles account, maintaining their original validity.
So if you ask for a refund, you will probably lose the points. I don't see any exception in the COVID policy
Old Aug 25, 2021, 3:51 pm

Programs: AS 100K
i had a MEX-GRU-SCL(so)-IPC-SCL-MEX booking that was originally planed for OCT 2020 but canceled and re-booked for April 2021 but canceled again. Ticket is in open status right now, i'd LOVE to fly to IPC, i hope they open to tourists next April 2022. I really do not want to ask for refund, unless I have to due to ticket expiration, which I should ask LATAM when that would be.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.