Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > LATAM | LATAM Pass
Reload this Page >

Cancellation of flights to/from Easter Island (IPC) [merged thread]

Cancellation of flights to/from Easter Island (IPC) [merged thread]

Old Jan 13, 2022, 11:02 am

Programs: BA GfL, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
Any updated news on travel to IPC ? Seems all still going ahead as of early Feb

Also, I cannot seem to find a timetable of the LATAM Website - does anyone have URL where I can put in From/To and find out what dates/times LATAM flies between them ? (ie SCL-IPC )
Old Jan 13, 2022, 12:18 pm

Programs: LATAMPASS Silver, SkyMiles Silver Medallion
Everything seems on track. However there is no availability for February

There is no public timetable I'm afraid but you can check ITA Matrix if you uncheck the box "Only show flights and prices with available seats" https://matrix.itasoftware.com/#search:research=SCLIPC
Old Jan 22, 2022, 7:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by moral_low_ground
I booked on the LATAM website in Chile as fares are way lower than the UK LATAM site
I selected the Chilean version from the language options and didnt see much difference in price - is there a different way to do this?

Originally Posted by moral_low_ground
Any updated news on travel to IPC ? Seems all still going ahead as of early Feb.
I was on the cusp of booking but all availability for my dates in Feb has been zeroed out overnight - maybe the resumption has been pushed back?
Old Jan 24, 2022, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by exeu2017
I selected the Chilean version from the language options and didn’t see much difference in price - is there a different way to do this?

I was on the cusp of booking but all availability for my dates in Feb has been zeroed out overnight - maybe the resumption has been pushed back?
The reopening of Isla de Pascua was just pushed back 1 month due to omicron and not enough locals with the 2nd dose. Link in Spanish: https://www.cooperativa.cl/noticias/...24/103016.html

LATAM is going to cancel all flights within February and March

(I apologize in advance, I was lazy and I used Google Translate) https://www.latamtrade.com/es_cl/com...ero_de_2022_ES
We inform that in line with the decisions of the Chilean health authorities, it has been decided not to resume the operation to/from Easter Island (IPC) that was scheduled from February 03, 2022.

Due to the above, scheduled flights to/from IPC in the months of February and March 2022 will be canceled starting next Tuesday, January 25, 2022.

Passengers who proactively contact to request a change in their flights will be able to book themselves of the same flexibilities defined in the publication CONTINGENCY - Travel solutions for passengers with affected flights.
sdsearch likes this.

Last edited by Semphyra; Jan 24, 2022 at 1:56 pm
Old Feb 24, 2022, 2:50 pm

Now flights up to April will be canceled

https://www.latamtrade.com/es_cl/com...ero_de_2022_ES
sdsearch likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 9:53 pm

Programs: BA*GGL, A3*G, AF*P, VS*S
It looks like they've suspended all bookings going out for months and months. I was planning to have a few days there in September and everything is zeroed out...
Old Feb 27, 2022, 10:13 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Originally Posted by frb98mf
It looks like they've suspended all bookings going out for months and months. I was planning to have a few days there in September and everything is zeroed out...
Indeed completely zeroed out on Expertflyer and I am still waiting for my refund of travel vouchers after 6 month due ti "banking problems".
Old Mar 2, 2022, 6:50 am

When and if the flights to Easter Island ever resume from Santiago, is the resumption of flights from/to PPT also anticipated at the same time?

I haven't heard anything about the PPT-IPC flights.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes
When and if the flights to Easter Island ever resume from Santiago, is the resumption of flights from/to PPT also anticipated at the same time?

I haven't heard anything about the PPT-IPC flights.
I'd say it's very unclear.

For one thing, it depends not only on the resumption of flights, it depends on the frequency of resumed flights. If LATAM is unable to fly as many flights when they first resume, they might only have limited service to Santiago (compared to pre-pandemic) and zero service to PPT, until they can operate a full schedule again.

Pre-pandemic, there were two flights per day from Santiago on many days, while the (since pulled) potential resumptions of flights always showed only flight a day at most (and sometimes showed only flights on certain days of the week!). So it's unclear if the IPC flight schedule upon resumption will be anything close to the schedule pre-pandemic, or much lighter at the beginning.

Gosh, we don't even know if, upon re-opening of Easter Island, whether they'll set any limits on visitors, to prevent crowding! (That's a totally separate question from LATAM's ability to operate a full schedule.)

And so I wouldn't assume that PPT flights would resume at the same time or how soon after.

There are at least two totally separate issues going on: There's IPC being totally closed to visitors right now, but separately there's the big downturn (and expectations of continuation of that downturn) in international travel overall. So expect international routes to possibly come back more slowly than intra-nation routes overall, worldwide. (But even some domestic routes in the USA aren't coming back soon, due to pilot shortages.)
cmtlatitudes likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 7:03 pm

Programs: Brand loyalty is for suckers
Originally Posted by sdsearch
I'd say it's very unclear.

For one thing, it depends not only on the resumption of flights, it depends on the frequency of resumed flights. If LATAM is unable to fly as many flights when they first resume, they might only have limited service to Santiago (compared to pre-pandemic) and zero service to PPT, until they can operate a full schedule again.

Pre-pandemic, there were two flights per day from Santiago on many days, while the (since pulled) potential resumptions of flights always showed only flight a day at most (and sometimes showed only flights on certain days of the week!). So it's unclear if the IPC flight schedule upon resumption will be anything close to the schedule pre-pandemic, or much lighter at the beginning.

Gosh, we don't even know if, upon re-opening of Easter Island, whether they'll set any limits on visitors, to prevent crowding! (That's a totally separate question from LATAM's ability to operate a full schedule.)

And so I wouldn't assume that PPT flights would resume at the same time or how soon after.

There are at least two totally separate issues going on: There's IPC being totally closed to visitors right now, but separately there's the big downturn (and expectations of continuation of that downturn) in international travel overall. So expect international routes to possibly come back more slowly than intra-nation routes overall, worldwide. (But even some domestic routes in the USA aren't coming back soon, due to pilot shortages.)
I'll second this. PPT-IPC only ran once a week in 2019, when Easter Island tourism was at its highest level.
sdsearch and cmtlatitudes like this.
Old May 2, 2022, 7:43 pm

Any IPC opening updates? Last soft target I'd seen was July 1st. Have they push out again?

Checking random dates in July/August I didn't find any flights available yet.
Old May 3, 2022, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes
Any IPC opening updates? Last soft target I'd seen was July 1st. Have they push out again?

Checking random dates in July/August I didn't find any flights available yet.
Not many news, I am afraid. Last month, a regional counselor accused the new government of silence from the ministers regarding Isla de Pascua. Also there is around 58% of unemployement on the island and inflation is affecting the prices more heavily than on the mainland.

Definitely the situation is not sustainable as it is right now. And since the wave of the omicron variant is almost over in Chile and some people are getting their 2nd booster, I don't see a reason to maintain the island closed
cmtlatitudes likes this.
Old May 21, 2022, 8:20 pm

Posted on a Trip Advisor site today:

Easter Island to reopen for tourism in Aug. after 2-year virus hiatus | Daily Sabah

Will be waiting to see confirmation from additional sources, what/when flights are available to book (in my case ideally one of the ways from/to PPT so that is an additional hurdle), and any testing/quarantine requirements.

But good news if Aug 1 is actually a "go" this time.

Last edited by cmtlatitudes; May 21, 2022 at 8:22 pm Reason: corrected link
Old May 23, 2022, 10:17 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
painful, very painful

And here something official: https://www.sernatur.cl/apertura-de-...l-1-de-agosto/

All LATAM flights still zeroed out, but scheduled 4 / 5 times a week for August 2022. Wonder how they will "reopen". This kind of destination is in general planned several month ahead. Perhaps not for domestic tourism.

Explora Rapa Nui is bookable from 1 September 2022 onwards - not that I would ever stay at and Explora property .
Old May 23, 2022, 2:39 pm

Basically LATAM availability on their flights reflects how much confident the airline is with that date. Let's see if they start to open some fare classes in the next days

I wouldn't be very surprised if the local residents don't meet the 80% vaccination goal or the monkey pox disease start to cause problems in August

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.