Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > LATAM | LATAM Pass
Reload this Page >

Cancellation of flights to/from Easter Island (IPC) [merged thread]

Cancellation of flights to/from Easter Island (IPC) [merged thread]

Old Jan 9, 2023, 6:28 am
  #136  
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Programs: LATAMPASS Silver, SkyMiles Silver Medallion
Posts: 456
Originally Posted by atcanobbio
any news on LA increasing frequencies to IPC? It was my understanding that they were supposed to be flying to IPC 3x weekly but, per FR24, it seems they might be operating more than that this month.
Yes, because January and February are High Season due to summer vacation
Semphyra is online now  
Old Feb 2, 2023, 11:27 am
  #137  
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: LAX/ONT
Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott G, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Posts: 518
I booked a round trip J (fully flexible fare, and that's the only fare) later in February, what's odd is they only sell J on my dates. I have to cancel eventually considering the covid requirements, called the US number with my Chilean reservation. They took my bank info, we shall see if it works out.
simonsuo is offline  
Old Feb 2, 2023, 11:33 am
  #138  
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 97
Why are there no flights showing IPC-SCL for the first couple of weeks of April? Would they be sold out or just not operating?
slidey is offline  
Old Feb 4, 2023, 5:15 pm
  #139  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: home = LAX
Posts: 25,947
Originally Posted by slidey
Why are there no flights showing IPC-SCL for the first couple of weeks of April? Would they be sold out or just not operating?
ExpertFlyer is showing many seats occupied on those flights, but many seats unoccupied, and the flights operating but all classes 0'd out. So it could be that they're limited to selling a certain number of seats -- way less than the capacity of the plane -- due to restrictions on how many people can currently visit Easter Island in a week, and thus technically sold out.

The planes are only operating once a day three days a week (Sun, Mon, Fri in that direction) in April, so it's pretty obvious that Easter Island has restriction on the number of visitors, because pre-Covid they had two flights a day some days, and at least one flight a day every day of the week.

And actually they're not quite sold out the second week: the Monday 4/10 flight is currently showing Y1, and the Friday 4/14 flight is showing Y3.

And even the third week the Sunday 04/16 flight is sold out, and the Monday 04/17 and Friday 04/21 flights are both showing J1 and Y0.

And then in the fourth week the Sunday 04/23 flight is J1 Y1, the Monday 04/24 flight is J4 Y7, but the Friday 04/28 flight is sold out.

So comparing all of that to the seat maps, it sure looks to me like they're limited in some way to how many seats they can sell, but I don't know exactly what the rule is.
slidey and Semphyra like this.

Last edited by sdsearch; Feb 4, 2023 at 5:28 pm
sdsearch is offline  
Old Feb 6, 2023, 8:28 am
  #140  
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Programs: LATAMPASS Silver, SkyMiles Silver Medallion
Posts: 456
That's the only plausible reason I can think. I don't believe they are blocking seats in order to load more cargo
Semphyra is online now  
Old Feb 7, 2023, 1:16 pm
  #141  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PNW
Programs: AS 100K
Posts: 1,561
Originally Posted by sdsearch
ExpertFlyer is showing many seats occupied on those flights, but many seats unoccupied, and the flights operating but all classes 0'd out. So it could be that they're limited to selling a certain number of seats -- way less than the capacity of the plane -- due to restrictions on how many people can currently visit Easter Island in a week, and thus technically sold out.

The planes are only operating once a day three days a week (Sun, Mon, Fri in that direction) in April, so it's pretty obvious that Easter Island has restriction on the number of visitors, because pre-Covid they had two flights a day some days, and at least one flight a day every day of the week.

And actually they're not quite sold out the second week: the Monday 4/10 flight is currently showing Y1, and the Friday 4/14 flight is showing Y3.

And even the third week the Sunday 04/16 flight is sold out, and the Monday 04/17 and Friday 04/21 flights are both showing J1 and Y0.

And then in the fourth week the Sunday 04/23 flight is J1 Y1, the Monday 04/24 flight is J4 Y7, but the Friday 04/28 flight is sold out.

So comparing all of that to the seat maps, it sure looks to me like they're limited in some way to how many seats they can sell, but I don't know exactly what the rule is.
Yeah, i think I read that IPC is limiting the number of tourists that can fly in. Last summer, I rebooked a business MEX-IPC fare for this April. I'll be spending 5 nights in IPC. I'm on the 4/16-/4/21 SCL-IPC-SCL flights. It's gone through a few sched changes. I have been trying to switch to the 4/17 flight in order to have 4 nights there but it's been zeroed out for month now. I hope the flights don't get shifted dramatically again. I really want to go on this trip!
atcanobbio is offline  
Old Feb 7, 2023, 7:59 pm
  #142  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Posts: 2,516
Originally Posted by atcanobbio
Yeah, i think I read that IPC is limiting the number of tourists that can fly in.
At least end November 2022 this was not the case, full of charter flights including the infamous Four Seasons one.

Also the island was a "hidden" Covid hotspot with absolutely no precautions taken and virtually everybody coughing. Got my second infection there, but just ignored it as everybody did (wearing always an FFP2 mask tough) and was happy to just be clear of the second booster two month before.

This is an extremely poorly managed place with a shameful sustainabiity record and poorly behaving tourists. Violent scenes at park entries with visitors not acceptimg having to be accompanied by a guide or a local.


trashing world heritage (I have more pictures)
sdsearch, IndyHoosier and Semphyra like this.
behuman is offline  
Old Apr 20, 2023, 8:58 am
  #143  
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 2,257
Originally Posted by atcanobbio
any news on LA increasing frequencies to IPC? It was my understanding that they were supposed to be flying to IPC 3x weekly but, per FR24, it seems they might be operating more than that this month.
so, what frequency did LATAM end up operating to/from IPC in the month of Jan and Feb?

cant see it in public flight records

it seems like for the rest of the year, it is Sun, Mon, Fri only
gnomey is offline  
Old Apr 22, 2023, 5:28 pm
  #144  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: home = LAX
Posts: 25,947
Originally Posted by gnomey
so, what frequency did LATAM end up operating to/from IPC in the month of Jan and Feb?

cant see it in public flight records

it seems like for the rest of the year, it is Sun, Mon, Fri only
Did you scroll back to previous discussions upthread about a dozen or two posts? First, in a late summer 2022 post, it says that it will be Sun, Mon, and Thu only through spring 2023, and then later someone says it appears to have to been cut back to two days a week.
sdsearch is offline  
Old Apr 24, 2023, 1:17 am
  #145  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PNW
Programs: AS 100K
Posts: 1,561
Originally Posted by gnomey
so, what frequency did LATAM end up operating to/from IPC in the month of Jan and Feb?

cant see it in public flight records

it seems like for the rest of the year, it is Sun, Mon, Fri only
Based on my observations, in Jan and Feb, LA served IPC almost daily, especially since it was high season. Right now, they're at about 3x weekly. I know that since I just got back from IPC today. Spent 4 nights there. I'm so happy I never refunded the IPC fare I had. Felt great to finally fly it after three years of rolling cancelations and rescheduling.

I was blessed with pretty good weather and an amazing sunrise on my last day there!
atcanobbio is offline  
Old Apr 24, 2023, 2:00 am
  #146  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Posts: 2,516
Originally Posted by atcanobbio
Felt great to finally fly it after three years of rolling cancelations and rescheduling.
I was blessed with pretty good weather and an amazing sunrise on my last day there!
Fantastic photo, I left disappointed and sad after having seen the level of trashing of the island and the greedy indifference of the locals. This said I staid at Hare Nua, owned by a local artist living on the mainland. which was certainly sustainable and would urge everybody to avoid the two big greenwashing players, especially the one built on sacred land.
behuman is offline  
Old Jul 4, 2023, 1:09 pm
  #147  
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Programs: LATAMPASS Silver, SkyMiles Silver Medallion
Posts: 456
LATAM announces 6 weekly flights to IPC from August, leaves door open to add more frequencies

Latam refuerza sus vuelos desde y hacia Rapa Nui con seis frecuencias semanales a partir de agosto https://www.df.cl/empresas/multinaci...is-frecuencias
IndyHoosier likes this.
Semphyra is online now  
Old Jul 20, 2023, 9:54 am
  #148  
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: North of DTW
Programs: Delta PM, LATAM Gold, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton, Hertz Gold, Silvercar, Sixt
Posts: 172
Visited IPC Last Weekend

Very interesting and topical commentary, thanks everyone.
During our visit last weekend, we didn't see the awful, but we did a lot of planning (A LOT), used a local guide, stayed via booking.com at a local place (Cabanas Moai), etc. Rene at Cabanas Moai will provide use of his Jimny for a fee.
We saw unusual costing on the roundtrip flights so we bit the bullet and grabbed Business Class from the outset. 789 on the way out, nice and only moderately worn, 788 on the way back, very worn and tired. And my choice of 3A bit me in the butt...the boarding door on the 788 return flight was right behind me, so there was a window blank next to my seat. Service was solid both ways.
Our original plans were to be at IPC for 2 nights, but a flight cancellation in May forced an adjustment to a single night, with the 2 half days for arrival day and departure day. We got all the sights we wanted, local culture, etc (for better or worse). (As noted by another poster, flexing the travel plans to emphasize another region of the country is the fallback option.)
As always, everywhere we visit can be exploited and abused...no matter the prices paid, no matter the culture. Go to see unique or interesting things, learn new cultures, immerse and see how they live, etc. FWIW, we saw quite a bit of garbage tossed on roadsides or "out back" down hillsides in many areas we visited throughout Chile. My interpretations was that this was not so different to Americans in the early 1900's...so applying through our urban 2023 lens may be a bit unrealistic. YMMV

Last edited by dtwlarry; Jul 21, 2023 at 7:16 pm Reason: Added flight deets
dtwlarry is offline  
Old Aug 2, 2023, 9:44 pm
  #149  
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 10
Google flight shows SCL-IPC will operate on a daily basis starting Sept. Do you guys think it to be true? Current Aug schedule is still Sun, Mon, Fri. Will LATAM cut flights when time gets closer?
wmsimon is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.