Wiki Posts
Search

$20 Trick - It works very well

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2006, 12:49 pm

Programs: CO-Dirt,SPG-Nothing,Marriott-Gold, Hilton-Blue, Hyatt-Plat, HI-Plat
Originally Posted by JerryGuitar
andrew or ben?
err oooops Mr. Franklin would be correct-gonna learn those pictures of famous peeps one day
Old Jul 3, 2006, 11:58 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by Fishbait
Had a "clueless" clerk at Paris last weekend. Hubby did the credit card/ bill trick, and she just handed the $20 back and searched for a great view room (paid for better view to begin with). Can't complain, we got 42nd floor fountain/pool view without the tip, and weren't there much anyway (but did truly enjoy the view when there).

Robin
Especially impressive since the hotel has only 33 floors.

QL
Old Jul 3, 2006, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
The agent at the LV Hilton literally laughed at me when I tried the $20 trick with a $100 bill last week. I guess it doesn't work everywhere or all the time.
Old Jul 5, 2006, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by baccarat_king
(f) and as folks have mentioned, KNOW WHAT YOU WANT, with regard to suite or upgrade type --- it is imperative to research your options, so you know what is being offered.
Hi! I could use some help here. We are staying at the Flamingo Hilton next week and I would love to try this tip but the web site only lists "Deluxe room" as their only room type. Does anyone here know what the other room types are and how much I should proffer at the Flamingo? Also what is the best way to broach this as I have a reservation in my name for Wed/Thurs, then in my husbands name for Fri/Sat (the Fri/Sat thing was a 2 night only web special, but a great deal).

My thought was to ask for the upgrade first (with cash in hand), and if confirmed then ask if s/he could combine the reservations so we don't have to pack/check-out and check-in again (with more cash in hand). Does that sound like the best approach, or other idea? And I am HHonor Silver, will that do anything?
TIA!
Old Jul 5, 2006, 9:36 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
Originally Posted by SRQ Guy
The agent at the LV Hilton literally laughed at me when I tried the $20 trick with a $100 bill last week.
If he was laughing, maybe it was because $100 was too much. The Hilton has seen better days and has been surpassed by many properties. If you're a trekkie, though... ^

Last edited by Sunnyhere; Jul 5, 2006 at 9:46 pm
Old Jul 5, 2006, 9:45 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
Originally Posted by disneybride
We are staying at the Flamingo Hilton next week and...
It's no longer Hilton affiliated.
Old Jul 9, 2006, 8:34 am

Programs: HH Diamond, UA Platinum
Tried the $20 trick at Luxor and it didn't work for me. I know the woman saw the $20, but she said that an upgrade would cost an additional $400 per night. By the way, Luxor charges for everything. Mini-fridge costs an additonal $15/night, and a rollaway bed is an additional $25/night.
Old Jul 9, 2006, 6:30 pm

Programs: UA MM, QF Plat, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
For those trying to do it cheap and stay at Stratosphere I had good luck with a $5. I just handed it over with my Amex when I checked in and I got upgraded to a king Suite in the newer (2001) tower. It was huge and the bathroom was as large as the standard room. I did this the Saturday night before Memorial Day around midnight when I checked in.
Old Jul 9, 2006, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by bschaff1
I had good luck with a $5.
LOL, that's too funny!!
Old Jul 9, 2006, 9:36 pm

Programs: TSA/INS/FBI Platinum (stopped last 12 of 13 int'l returns - the computer broke once)
Originally Posted by trvloftn
Tried the $20 trick at Luxor and it didn't work for me. I know the woman saw the $20, but she said that an upgrade would cost an additional $400 per night. By the way, Luxor charges for everything. Mini-fridge costs an additonal $15/night, and a rollaway bed is an additional $25/night.
Mini-fridge is free in the "1 BR suites", which I just finished staying in for a conference for around $200/night (Su-Th). For that upgrade to be $400/night, they must have been nearly full on a weekend...
Old Jul 10, 2006, 7:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by trvloftn

I also tired at the Luxor and had no joy!!!! Wont be staying there again at all to be honest, much better hotels around!
Old Jul 10, 2006, 1:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by gregorygrady
LOL, that's too funny!!
When it's midnight, there aren't many more guest checking in and there's nobody to see what's going on.

That's why I like to do it at the airport counters. Fewer witnesses....
Old Jul 11, 2006, 1:55 am
Original Member

Hi! I could use some help here. We are staying at the Flamingo Hilton next week and I would love to try this tip but the web site only lists "Deluxe room" as their only room type. Does anyone here know what the other room types are and how much I should proffer at the Flamingo? Also what is the best way to broach this as I have a reservation in my name for Wed/Thurs, then in my husbands name for Fri/Sat (the Fri/Sat thing was a 2 night only web special, but a great deal).

My thought was to ask for the upgrade first (with cash in hand), and if confirmed then ask if s/he could combine the reservations so we don't have to pack/check-out and check-in again (with more cash in hand). Does that sound like the best approach, or other idea? And I am HHonor Silver, will that do anything?
TIA!
A Royal Suite is what you want to ask for.

QL
Old Jul 11, 2006, 7:05 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"

TIA!
Regarding the suite type, QL's suggestion is great; though, it is highly unlikely.

Forget the HHonor card --- since the ONLY thing that matters will be your total rewards status and ADT. At most Harrah's property, if they follow procedure properly, suites are assigned by highest average ADT (which usually tend to be the Seven Stars and Diamonds). Next level would be a discretionary suite upgrade in an EMPTY hotel to a Platinum or Diamond at check-in (I have had this happen before, but usually late at night check-in --- after 10PM)

Your biggest issue is the upgrade for the Fri/Sat portion --- or basically getting the upgrade for the entire 4 days. You might just want to work on the the upgrade at check-in on Wed/Thur and NOT even mention the weekend stay. Then, if you get the upgrade, go down to the front desk on Friday, and mention that you would just like to check-out re-check-in and stay in the same room ---- it "might" just work --- though, you have to get the upgrade first.

Other Flamingo Tips (not from my personal experience) --- but, might help you get a better room, if you can't get the suite :

rooms on the 27th or 28th floors, are a bit larger.
28-064, overlooking Caesars with a view of Bellagio fountains.
high floor with a number ending in 060 / 062 / 064 are great rooms with a view.
28-064 to 28-074 (even numbered rooms face Caesars; odd numbers will face the pool).

the $20 trick is becoming much more difficult at Harrah's properties, due to the large number of Platinum and Diamond (and Seven Star) total reward members, who, rightly so, should get the upgrade before a non-status guest. (and IMHO, the folks at Diamond Desk Check-in have more latitude on upgrades)

Though....... you never know......
Old Jul 11, 2006, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by QuietLion
Especially impressive since the hotel has only 33 floors.

QL
Hehehe, serves me right for relying on my memory.

Robin

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.