FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Las Vegas (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/las-vegas-463/)
-   -   $20 Trick - It works very well (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/las-vegas/419338-20-trick-works-very-well.html)

armeee Apr 7, 2005 12:45 pm

$20 Trick - It works very well

Just got back from Sin City. Arrived at Sahara around midnight. Checked what room was assigned to me. (12th floor, not bad)..........
Put a twenty on the counter and politely asked "are there any upgrades available". Clerk checked the computer........ Bingo. Given a 2-room suite overlooking the strip with (best of all) a walkout BALCONY.
All for the grand total of $43.00/per night.

I am one happy camper, second trip the trick worked. I suggest you give it a try. VEGAS RUNS ON TIPS!

mbstone Apr 7, 2005 10:03 pm

Depends on where you are. The desk clerk at the Palms politely returned the $20 I dropped beind the counter.

3Greyhounds Apr 7, 2005 10:55 pm

Worked nicely for me the last time I tried it. Airport check-in for Paris - ended up with a perfect fountain view on the 28th floor.

sltlyamusd Apr 7, 2005 11:17 pm

It's not a tip, it's a bribe. Person ahead of line at the Monte Carlo did this and the $20 was returned.

skofarrell Apr 8, 2005 4:03 pm

Sometimes you need a $50

RoyalFlush Apr 14, 2005 9:18 pm

JohnG Apr 20, 2005 3:23 pm

The title should read "works very at SOME hotels".

Places like the Sahara are fine but it is a very different story at the better hotels.

Doppy Apr 20, 2005 5:06 pm

In my experience, getting upgrades negatively impacts the amount of comps I get (as posted in another thread on the topic).

Since the suites are unimpressive until you get into the really expensive ones (ones that your $20 probably won't get you into), I don't find it to be worth it. On the other hand, if I weren't getting comped, then I'd want the upgrade.

hhonorman Apr 20, 2005 7:30 pm

Anyone know if it works at the Venetian? I have an upcoming stay (Priceline) there soon.

RoyalFlush Apr 20, 2005 7:35 pm

planeluvr Apr 20, 2005 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by hhonorman
Anyone know if it works at the Venetian? I have an upcoming stay (Priceline) there soon.

It will get you a suite. :D

skofarrell Apr 21, 2005 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by hhonorman

$50 will get you into a Rialto (worked last week) or into the Venizia tower.

You'll need a $100 for a Piazza or Prima.

A lot depends on how busy things are. Just put you wallet on the counter, the bill on your wallet and ask for which suite you want. If you get it, shake his hand with the bill passing from your hand to his... :)

skofarrell Apr 21, 2005 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by JohnG
The title should read "works very at SOME hotels".

Places like the Sahara are fine but it is a very different story at the better hotels.

Better hotels (Bellagio, Caesars, Venetian) require a $50 or $100. Know what you want going in, ask for it, and don't give it up unless you get what you want.

mylez2go Apr 23, 2005 8:44 pm

What about The Orleans?

Has anyone tried this at The Orleans? I would like to get an upgrade from an Executive Suite to a New Orleans Suite in early August.

skofarrell Apr 24, 2005 8:08 am

It works everywhere, but is highly dependent on how full the hotel is, the savvyness of the front desk clerk, the amount you choose to offer, and how realistic your expectations are.

Sometimes you get a clerk willing to do it, other times you won't.
Sometimes the hotel is packed and nothing is available, other times its not.
Sometimes the clerk will do it for $20, other times they'll want more.

If getting the suite is really important, suck it up and pay for it. Otherwise, it is Vegas after all: you have to be willing to take a chance...