Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$20 Trick - It works very well

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2006, 11:27 am

Programs: AA Platinum, HHonors Gold VIP
Originally Posted by ges123
I did $20 at the MGM airport last October and was upgraded from std to a minisuite.
Thanks, I'll give it a try on Sunday hoping for a Bungalow instead of Grand Tower.
Old Mar 23, 2006, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by jmplatinum
Thanks, I'll give it a try on Sunday hoping for a Bungalow instead of Grand Tower.
Just wanted to report back on this since I got back from Vegas last night. On Sunday, I checked into the MGM at the airport. When I walked up, I pulled 2 $20 bills out of my wallet and held them in my hand.

The lady that checked me in was about 50 or so. When I walked up I rested my right arm on the counter and made the 2 $20s visible in my hand. I said, "Hi, I've got a reservation under jmplatinum. What are my chances of getting a free upgrade to a Bungalow Suite with a strip view?"

She very briefly looked at my right hand and then glanced at her computer and said, "Let me see what I can do for you."

She ended up putting me in a Bungalow on the 19th floor overlooking the strip near the elevator which I was thrilled with. As she was finishing up getting my room keys, I reached out to shake her hand and said, "Thank you for helping out with the suite" and handed gave her the cash as we shook hands. She smiled and said she was glad to help and she slipped the cash in her pocket. Win-win for both of us.

Thank you all for giving me motivation and courage to try this. I got a $300 a night room for $149 a night.

Note: I also did this at the rental counter and got a Cadillac CTS instead of a Pontiac.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Old Mar 23, 2006, 10:42 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CO Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Emerald Club Exec Elite
Las Vegas Hilton

First let me say that I've been reading posts on FT for a while and finally decided to ask for some advice. These forums are the best tool out there for any FF...even newbies like me.

I'm staying at the Las Vegas Hilton for a couple of nights in early May and would like to know if anyone has a recommendation for using the "$20 trick" there. I've read that it isn't the nicest hotel but I have to stay there because it's a business trip. Which tower/room should I suggest while discreetly placing my "tip" on the counter during check-in? I am a HH diamond member and assume an upgrade wouldn't be completely out of the ordinary, so is it even worth it?

Thanks for your feedback!
Old Mar 23, 2006, 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by DAC77
First let me say that I've been reading posts on FT for a while and finally decided to ask for some advice. These forums are the best tool out there for any FF...even newbies like me.

I'm staying at the Las Vegas Hilton for a couple of nights in early May and would like to know if anyone has a recommendation for using the "$20 trick" there. I've read that it isn't the nicest hotel but I have to stay there because it's a business trip. Which tower/room should I suggest while discreetly placing my "tip" on the counter during check-in? I am a HH diamond member and assume an upgrade wouldn't be completely out of the ordinary, so is it even worth it?

Thanks for your feedback!
If I were a Diamond, I would probably walk up acting like I own the place regardless of a tip and probably would anyway as a Gold. Still, it can't hurt to flash a $20 and ask if she has a nice suite available on the Executive Floor available for you. $20 is a small price to pay as it will almost guarantee you an upgrade that you may have gotten anyway.

Good luck man.
Old Mar 24, 2006, 2:48 pm

Programs: AS MVP, WN A-List+ UA Silver, HH <>, National EE, WoH Globalist
Welcome to FlyerTalk, DAC777! I need to go to Vegas armed with Jacksons to try this out...
Old Mar 24, 2006, 3:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver
I'm sort of surprised that the Vegas hotels allow this to go on. I assume that most of this "tipping" is recorded on security cameras, etc.?
Old Mar 25, 2006, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by cactuspete
I'm sort of surprised that the Vegas hotels allow this to go on. I assume that most of this "tipping" is recorded on security cameras, etc.?
There is not one place (Hotel, restaurant, club, etc.) in Vegas where something of this sort does not go on. It is one place where $ talks and anything has a price. It is just how things are done there.
Old Mar 26, 2006, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by cactuspete
Thankfully there are still some traditions in Vegas that the corporations haven't sucked dry. This is one of them.

Have you seen "Lost in America"?
Old Apr 2, 2006, 4:34 pm

I'm a newb

Being a complete Newb et al, what is the normal protocol if you just want a modest upgrade, like a view of the strip in a quiet but high floor, say, at the Aladdin.

Of course, ideally one want to upgrade from their basic deluxe room to something better.

Do you walk right up and slap down the $20 without first asking what they're gonna give you or you slip out the $20 afterwards?
Old Apr 2, 2006, 4:41 pm

Programs: DL GM/CRC, AA Gold, UA Premier
Originally Posted by blondee_yvr
Being a complete Newb et al, what is the normal protocol if you just want a modest upgrade, like a view of the strip in a quiet but high floor, say, at the Aladdin.

Of course, ideally one want to upgrade from their basic deluxe room to something better.

Do you walk right up and slap down the $20 without first asking what they're gonna give you or you slip out the $20 afterwards?
Walk up and start the checkin process by giving your name. When they ask for your credit card, have it ready for them with a folded up $20 under it (with the "20" on the bill plainly obvious), and make sure you slip it forward a little bit under the card so they can see it. Before you hand it to them, ask them, do you have an upgrade to the _______ room available? (Be speciifc about what you want). If they do, at no charge, hand them the card and the bill. If the answer is no, retain your bill but give them the card.
Old Apr 3, 2006, 12:25 am

mirage1228, thanks!! that's a really cool!
Old Apr 3, 2006, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: On a collision course with Kettledom
Originally Posted by skofarrell
Thankfully there are still some traditions in Vegas that the corporations haven't sucked dry. This is one of them.

Have you seen "Lost in America"?
The amazing thing is that 100% of these "tips" are claimed on federal income tax returns as "Misc. income".
Old Apr 7, 2006, 9:31 am

I read a post (don't think it was here) that in the Aladdin they have a separate SPG counter and that as a regular SPG member you can get a one category upgrade? Is this true, if so then you don't have to dish out the $20?
Old Apr 8, 2006, 3:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mirage1228
Walk up and start the checkin process by giving your name. When they ask for your credit card, have it ready for them with a folded up $20 under it (with the "20" on the bill plainly obvious), and make sure you slip it forward a little bit under the card so they can see it. Before you hand it to them, ask them, do you have an upgrade to the _______ room available? (Be speciifc about what you want). If they do, at no charge, hand them the card and the bill. If the answer is no, retain your bill but give them the card.

This is brilliant. My mate and I shall be in Vegas for one night which will be a Wednesday. Now I am a Hilton Gold but have stayed at the Aladdin hotel and had a great time. I'll try and play with a $50 and see what happens. But like you said, make sure they give you the upgrade before you hand over the money. Do you think we can get a cheaper rate for a room if we just do a "walk in" rather then having a reservation?

Do you think this would work with airlines as well? Like when you board the plane trying this with the FA?
Old Apr 10, 2006, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by SgtRyan
Do you think this would work with airlines as well? Like when you board the plane trying this with the FA?
Unlikely a GA or FA would upgrade you if you tipped. In Vegas, greasing palms is standard practice, as the town's service industry thrives on tips and gratuities. Throw a $20 to avoid a long buffet line, $20 - $50 to avoid a night club line (amount depends on club), $50 to have your name magically appear on the restaurant reservation list.

Money talks in Vegas... if you have it and spend/gamble it, you'll be treated like royalty. If you don't, then wait in line with everyone else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.