Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$20 Trick - It works very well

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2007, 11:45 am

Programs: hoarding miles
Originally Posted by OliverLHfan
To be honest, I don't really understand every "Does it work there"-question?
forgive me if i'm wrong, but isn't that what this thread is about? I probably will try it at the airport this time around and will be happy to share the result with all of you.
Old Jan 30, 2007, 3:43 pm

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
Originally Posted by JerryGuitar
forgive me if i'm wrong, but isn't that what this thread is about? I probably will try it at the airport this time around and will be happy to share the result with all of you.
Thanks, let us know what happens. My next trip is in May, I'll probably wait until I get to the hotel to try this.
Old Jan 30, 2007, 3:47 pm

@ BLI-Flyer

Why don't you try it for yourself? If the man/woman behind the desk says no, what do you expect? Punishment? Cancellation of your room?

To be honest, I don't really understand every "Does it work there"-question?

Getting a $20-upgrade is based on availability, how long you stay, if the hotel employee likes you or not ...

Oliver
Well, if a bunch of people posted that they tried it at the airport and it didn't work, why would I want to do that? Isn't this board about sharing experiences? The worst that could happen is that they could say "no" and I'd get the room I booked, but that's not what this discussion is about. I thought we're trying to support each other by sharing tips on what works and what doesn't work, that's why I asked the question. You may be here for other reasons, I don't know.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 10:00 am

Programs: M&M
Sorry, didn't want to offend anybody (maybe I can express my thoughts easier in german).

But, if two or three people say they didn't get the $20 -upgrade. What does that mean?

a) The hotel doesn't give any?
b) There were no upgrades available?

Hmmm, I would try it either, no matter what other people wrote.

Oliver

Edit: BTW, I found this for you guys: http://www.frontdesktip.com/

Last edited by OliverLHfan; Jan 31, 2007 at 10:23 am
Old Jan 31, 2007, 11:31 am

Sorry, didn't want to offend anybody (maybe I can express my thoughts easier in german).

But, if two or three people say they didn't get the $20 -upgrade. What does that mean?

a) The hotel doesn't give any?
b) There were no upgrades available?

Hmmm, I would try it either, no matter what other people wrote.

Oliver

Edit: BTW, I found this for you guys: http://www.frontdesktip.com/

Or c) the check-in clerk doesn't know the game.

Thanks for the link, interesting stories.
Old Feb 7, 2007, 9:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Bellagio

Any recent success stories at the Bellagio?
Old Feb 8, 2007, 4:43 am

Originally Posted by GoodKarmaGuy
...Stayed a couple of weeks ago at the Orleans and simply laid a $50 bill on the counter and asked, "Are there any upgrades available tonight?" (We had 2 rooms Pricelined at $30 ea all inc. for 1 night only)

"Yes, sir, tonight we are offering a 2 bedroom suite upgrade." Nice. $110 for a 2 bedroom suite with great baths and GREAT views.

Top floor, security key, gorgeous rooms (for that style hotel). The top floor had additional gilded-style gates to each hallway off the elevator. As a waiter/service person, I wanted to do 50, not 20... but that's me. ...
I have an upcoming stay at the Orleans the week before Easter. Our stay is for 5 nights (Sat thru Thurs), and is for 2 rooms. I know $20 is likely way too small, but would even $50 or $60 (ends up being only ~$5/room-night) be worth a try? We've gone there several years in a row (regular 2br guest suite), and have always overlooked the pool. It hasn't been bad, worst thing was one year we were at the end of the hall.

I wouldn't mind trying for something better, but don't want to spend a lot of money ($60 is a decent dinner) if it doesn't get anything.

Thanks.

Jeff
Old Feb 8, 2007, 6:26 am

Programs: No More Loyalty
Originally Posted by jwhite4
I wouldn't mind trying for something better, but don't want to spend a lot of money ($60 is a decent dinner) if it doesn't get anything.
Jeff, I'm a bit confused. The $60 (or whatever) is a tip that you provide only if you get the free upgrade that you are seeking. You don't hand over $60 and then say, "See what you can do." You flash the $60 and sweetly ask for a complementary upgrade, being as specific as possible to what you are seeking. No upgrade, the $60 goes back into your wallet.
Old Feb 8, 2007, 7:06 am

Programs: DL Gold, CO Silver
$60 at the Orleans (even at $30 a room) seems way too high for a 2.5/3 star hotel like the Orleans to me but then the Orleans always gives me exactly the room I want just by me requesting ahead of time and I always use their pricematch offer so it certainly isn't related to price paid for room.
Suite upgrades are usually only granted for one night stays there-for 5 nights I wouldn't personally even bother trying-especially over a holiday.
Old Feb 15, 2007, 5:41 pm

I'm going to the Luxor with my mother on Feb 27 for 3 nights. Anybody had success with this there? We're booked in a std pyrimid room and I'd like to try to upgrade to a pyrimid spa suite. Anybody know how much I should offer? Is $50 an insult? My mom is starting to have alzeheimers and I want to make this a special trip for her. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old Feb 16, 2007, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by ms fighter
I'm going to the Luxor with my mother on Feb 27 for 3 nights. Anybody had success with this there? We're booked in a std pyrimid room and I'd like to try to upgrade to a pyrimid spa suite. Anybody know how much I should offer? Is $50 an insult? My mom is starting to have alzeheimers and I want to make this a special trip for her. Any help is greatly appreciated.
I am currently also booked at the Luxor from the 27th to March 2. You can't beat the $59 a night! I have read about the trick and see that the spa suite is the most common upgrade!

LoriS
Old Apr 3, 2007, 12:29 am

pretty ignorant

Originally Posted by da_guy
Most hotel clerks would probably look up a reservation for Andrew Jackson as they have no clue who is on the $20.
They know. My colleagues are intelligent. Most have at least a Bachelors. Almost all are bi-lingual, and some are multi-lingual. I am fluent in three languages myself. And for the record, we do not need your Andrew Jacksons. We start off at a very high wage, and some of us make 70k in salary and commission. Very few would risk their job for such a small bribe. For the record, I provide excellent service to all those who treat me with decency. If you are slimy, we will be surly.

In life, do not try and get anything you are not entitled to. Integrity is everything. Dishonesty leads to demise.

Sorry to burst your little Vegas fantasy.

If you want a deal, ask your agent to call a manager for a special rate on an up-grade. Most will oblige if there is enough availability. Tipping, though never required, shows us that you care. We as agents love to please. A tip for us is like a round of applause for a performer. Everyone likes to know he or she has done an outstanding job.

Money is not the only way to say thank you. We also love positive comment cards. Sometimes a few kind words goes further than twenty dollars.

Remember, it is your vacation, and it is our occupation. For many of us, it is our passion. We are thrilled to be your hosts. If any of you think it is a no-brainer job, I dare you to apply for it. Many of you will find it is not so easy to pass the basic algebra test, the typing test, and the foreign language component. And if you do pass, will you find it within yourself to remain perfectly poised and professional when some no-name from nowhere city reams you out for the pool being closed on account of the weather? After just two years behind the desk, many of us attain a set of skills, a savvy aptitude, and a polished appearance so desirable we find ourselves wildly successful in any industry.
Old Apr 3, 2007, 2:12 am

BS Baffles brains

Originally Posted by mrmgm
They know. My colleagues are intelligent. Most have at least a Bachelors.
TOO FUNNY. . No wonder this trick doesnt work well at the MGM. The MGM has snobs, I mean, staff with superior intellect (in their own mind) working the front counter. Yeah right....

Last edited by blondee_yvr; Apr 3, 2007 at 12:57 pm
Old Apr 3, 2007, 4:09 am

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
Originally Posted by mrmgm
We start off at a very high wage, and some of us make 70k in salary and commission. Very few would risk their job for such a small bribe.
Its not called a commission, its called a kick back, or at least your colleagues in the hotel industry tend to think....

Last edited by aceman; Apr 3, 2007 at 3:06 pm Reason: Point made...
Old Apr 3, 2007, 2:44 pm

Mods, Pls delete.

Last edited by blondee_yvr; Apr 3, 2007 at 5:03 pm Reason: Not required

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.