$20 Trick - It works very well

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2007, 2:05 pm

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by mctrees02
Most interesting site, thank you! ^
Old May 28, 2007, 1:45 am

Bally's?

I'm staying at Bally's Las Vegas in early June and want to try this tip upgrade.

Got some ?'s:

a) I've read this entire thread, and no one has reported success/fail rate for Bally's. Anyone here with experience getting a complimentary upgrade with the tip?

b) I'm staying for 5 nights, Saturday through Thursday. Is $20 going to cut it?

c) I've read that Bally's has 2 types of rooms - standard rooms and Grand Suites. The Grand Suites appear to have just a King size bed. I'm travelling with my buddies and while I like them, I don't like them that way (NTTAWWT). What other room upgrades can I ask for that would have 2 beds plus a rollaway?

Mahalo!
Old May 28, 2007, 5:06 am

Programs: M&M
Originally Posted by konadiver
I've read this entire thread, and no one has reported success/fail rate for Bally's
But this link www.frontdesktip.com has been posted. Why don't you try this one? A success rate of 72% for the Ballys isn't that bad, is it?

Oliver
Old May 28, 2007, 2:22 pm

konadiver,

Originally Posted by Fishbait
On this trip, we used the $20 trick for 2 comp weekend nights at Bally's (upgraded to a Junior Suite on 25th floor, nothing spectacular) and 2 comp Sun/Mon nights at Caesars (from Palace Tower Deluxe to Palace Tower small suite with 2 bathrooms). Both times the desk clerks were extremely receptive and efficient.

Robin
This report was for our only stay at Bally's, last December. The Junior suite had only a king bed, don't know what else they have. I would think for 5 nights, $50 would be more appropriate. The Saturday check-in might be a problem. If you don't succeed the first night, you might want to try again on Sunday late afternoon, as things might open up at that point.

Robin
Old May 28, 2007, 2:27 pm

I gave the girl at the front desk of the Monte Carlo a hundred dollar bill and all I got was a room overlooking the construction going on next door. I was told by the caasino host only they can do the upgrading.
Old May 28, 2007, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by icecats102
I gave the girl at the front desk of the Monte Carlo a hundred dollar bill and all I got was a room overlooking the construction going on next door. I was told by the caasino host only they can do the upgrading.
. I would go back and demand the $100 or tell her to apply it towards my room charges.
Old May 28, 2007, 8:36 pm

Programs: WN A-list Preferred and CP, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, RIP Kimpton
Originally Posted by icecats102
you got hosed Kenny...you got hosed...
Old May 30, 2007, 10:01 am

Well didnt work for me yesterday at mandalay bay

Put my 20 between my drivers license and credit card. I set them both on the high counter. Mid 40s-50s reservation agent grabbed all 3 items. Looked at the twenty and said "whats this for?" I said its for you. She said I didnt do anything yet

I responded if you could check on any complimentary upgrades it would be apprecited. She banged on the keyboard for a few minutes and said " I see your here for the blah blah blah convention/trade show? I responded yes. She said "i dont think i can upgrade based on that rate (FYI it was 179 a night) let me ask a mgr. She walked away for a few minutes and came back with a "sorry" and handed me my twenty back. I said thanks for trying I appreciate it.

On the plus didnt get a suite or anything but the new rooms at mandalay bay are really nice. Flat screen HDTVs even one in the bathroom. Seperate marble tub and shower etc

CPTANGO

Last edited by cptango; May 30, 2007 at 10:04 am Reason: fixed typos
Old May 30, 2007, 2:44 pm

20 is on the low side for MB. How many nights were you there?
Old May 30, 2007, 4:37 pm

Just 2 a wed and thursday. I asked on this forum before I tried and most replies seemed to think 20 would work middle of week 2 days
Old May 30, 2007, 7:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Amb, UA 1K, HLT DIA
Smaller Properties - Four Seasons Las Vegas

Would this trick work at smaller properties such as Four Seasons Las Vegas and if it did how much would be appropriate for a 5 night stay to be moved up to a suite from a moderate room?
Old May 30, 2007, 8:44 pm

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
Here's another version of the trick: We brought home several bags of Las Vegas Beef Jerky last week - purchased Downtown near Fremont St., and much enjoyed by everybody in Hawai'i - and brought one with us to Honolulu yesterday to attend the BiziBB Honolulu DO-lu, last night. We gave it to the desk clerk at the Waikiki Prince upon check-in, and were upgraded to a two-room corner suite! Nice, huh? Mahalo!!!
Old Jun 2, 2007, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
Ah, so, kaukau... very interesting technique! I wasn't sure how to do it at the Prince on our non-kama'aina rate, but I'm sure your charm had something to do with it too... perhaps the clerk noticed your limo arrival and figured you'd enjoy the room in a suite? Ho, bruddah!

Perhaps the clerk was Hawaiian and thus has a soft spot for anything Vegas!

Can I volunteer the suggestion of a juicy pineapple (or black chicken) at checkin to your Vegas hotel, if you know Hawaiians work the front desk?
Old Jun 2, 2007, 7:38 am

www.frontdesktip.com

Thanks for the link, I'll be staying at the Luxor next week and a 73% success rate sounds like it's worth a try.
Old Jun 3, 2007, 7:48 pm

Programs: AA
$20 & Biloxi IP

Tried the $20 at Imperial Palace Biloxi. Think I got a better view room though I booked room & air via Expedia. FYI their rooms are low rent, but nice staff. Going to try Beau Riviage(sp) if there is a next trip to Biloxi, owned by MGHMirage.
IMHO the tip needs to relate to the cost of the rooms, i.e. lower cost room lower front desk tip. Wynn, etc, I would think over a 4 night stay would be $100, and you may better off gambling a lot with your card & getting discount at check out, and applying $100 to higher rate room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.