The South Korea COVID-19 thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The South Korea COVID-19 thread

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2022, 6:40 pm

Programs: OZ D+ Lifetime
Check if you can get food delivered to your quarantine hotel. Setting up an account might be a little difficult, but using Google Chrome browser to translate into English can make it easier. Try Coupang Eats and/or Coupang.
Old May 15, 2022, 6:46 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nme7
Check if you can get food delivered to your quarantine hotel. Setting up an account might be a little difficult, but using Google Chrome browser to translate into English can make it easier. Try Coupang Eats and/or Coupang.
No food delivery allowed. We are locked in to this place by a gate.

Here are the "house rules".

Old May 15, 2022, 10:42 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Originally Posted by aj411
interesting. I double-checked here and all of the labs in our area (US, MN) use 37 to 40 cycle pcr tests.
My Korean citizen student had this problem literally today. He tested negative in Mongolia before his flight, tested positive on the Korean test. He already had COVID two months ago and is asymptomatic and antigen tests negative. No matter what, Korean tests are STUPIDLY sensitive. And he is supposed to quarantine again five days now.
Old May 15, 2022, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin
No food delivery allowed. We are locked in to this place by a gate.

Here are the "house rules".

Really sad to see they're still using these government places for short term tourists/visa free entries. Do you have a roommate?
Old May 15, 2022, 10:46 pm

Confused on arrival testing. My associates in Korea said not needed but everyth8ng I found said it was.

so is this arrival test all on the honor system? Do they check results at hotels, on departure, etc?
Is the test really required?
Your associates in Korea are flat out wrong and just plain dumb lol. I say this strongly because so many Koreans I know have LITERALLY NO IDEA about anything related to entry. My Korean bf went on a work trip last week and his co-workers are like "I'm not doing this test, they'll let me in because I'm Korean."

It is 1,000,000% fact that you MUST do an PCR Test after arrival. It is all over every embassy page AND even the MOHW (Ministry of Health) page for overseas entries. Everyone must do it, Korean or foreigner. If you don't, you can be fine 10,000 USD or more and "jail time." Don't fck around and find out.

You do it at the airport testing center on arrival and need a reservation. safe2gopass.com OR you can also do it at the public health centers in the city (for your district where your accommodation will be).

Many hotels do check that you've done your test actually to let you check in. Restaurants, shops, etc. - nobody tracks there anymore.
aj411 likes this.
Old May 15, 2022, 10:47 pm

Sorry to hear about that end result in ICN. Leaving this week for Korea and crossing fingers I don’t end up the same.

Question on her airport timing and testing. Did your flight come into T2? How long from plane to testing center? I have a 3:15 arrival and a 5pm test time at T1 this week(T1 testing) No checked bags. Hoping that is doable to get door to door.
You'll be fine. An hour is a good estimate of time. That's how long it took me at T2.
aj411 likes this.
Old May 17, 2022, 4:42 pm

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mikesaidyes
Really sad to see they're still using these government places for short term tourists/visa free entries. Do you have a roommate?
Yeah, I was kind of surprised they were requiring me to move into something like this. I was hoping to stay in the hotel room I was already in when I found out I tested postive.

Thankfully, I do not have a roommate my room only had a single bed in it, so I don't think it was possible for me to get doubled up.

Although, based on the meal trays being left around my floor I would say this place is not nearly full. Seems like there are maybe 3 others on my floor.

I am hoping that we are some of the last people to have to go through this here in Korea before they open up more.

Also, FWIW I think pretty much everyone I saw during my mandatory chest x-ray the other day almost everyone was a foreigner (I even spoke with a couple of other Americans).
Old May 19, 2022, 2:50 am

Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin
Yeah, I was kind of surprised they were requiring me to move into something like this. I was hoping to stay in the hotel room I was already in when I found out I tested postive.

Thankfully, I do not have a roommate my room only had a single bed in it, so I don't think it was possible for me to get doubled up.

Although, based on the meal trays being left around my floor I would say this place is not nearly full. Seems like there are maybe 3 others on my floor.

I am hoping that we are some of the last people to have to go through this here in Korea before they open up more.

Also, FWIW I think pretty much everyone I saw during my mandatory chest x-ray the other day almost everyone was a foreigner (I even spoke with a couple of other Americans).
The daily number of positive overseas arrivals is like 15 (and that includes Koreans and residents who can stay at their home), so it must be a VERY tiny group there.
Old May 19, 2022, 5:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP; United 1K, Delta, IHG Plat Amb, PE, Marriott/Hilton Gold
Arrival experience 5/19

Arrived 3:45pm. 45 minutes late
i was one of the first 5-6 off the plane and had carryon only.
plenty of people to direct arriving passengers to correct lines. No line for Qcode but I could see that was going to gather as people didn’t have the paper out for the “line sorters” to see. Those who did, were waved through without slowing down.
Immigration. I was the first foreign passport person so no line at all. Never looked at evisa but it looks like that requirement may have gone away while I was in the air? Saw an update come through that visa for IS was going back to normal requirements but wouldn’t bet on that

from time plane hit to gate to the door of the testing trailer, was 1 hour. I was technically 5 minutes 5:05pm late but I don’t think they even checked that. I had the paperwork and reservation number and they were good.
I had a friend who met me and had figured out where the trailer was for testing. If I had to find it on my own, it might have added 5 minutes.

results came in email by 7:30pm. Negative.
Cryofern likes this.
Old May 19, 2022, 7:49 pm

Arrived 3:45pm. 45 minutes late
i was one of the first 5-6 off the plane and had carryon only.
plenty of people to direct arriving passengers to correct lines. No line for Qcode but I could see that was going to gather as people didn’t have the paper out for the “line sorters” to see. Those who did, were waved through without slowing down.
Immigration. I was the first foreign passport person so no line at all. Never looked at evisa but it looks like that requirement may have gone away while I was in the air? Saw an update come through that visa for IS was going back to normal requirements but wouldn’t bet on that

from time plane hit to gate to the door of the testing trailer, was 1 hour. I was technically 5 minutes 5:05pm late but I don’t think they even checked that. I had the paperwork and reservation number and they were good.
I had a friend who met me and had figured out where the trailer was for testing. If I had to find it on my own, it might have added 5 minutes.

results came in email by 7:30pm. Negative.
K-ETA is NEVER going away. It is a new background check, like how ESTA is done for non-US citizens going to the US, and how Europe will eventually soon introduce the similar thing for visitors. What's changing is that the C-3 tourist visa, that some countries have to get, are being issued again.
Old May 19, 2022, 8:40 pm

The daily number of positive overseas arrivals is like 15 (and that includes Koreans and residents who can stay at their home), so it must be a VERY tiny group there.
Wow didn't realize that I was in such good company. Looked like 8 of us got discharged from the facility yesterday.

Much to my surprise they didn't actually charge me for the stay. The health department said it was going to have a cost and I could pay via credit card. However, at discharge they simply let me go.
seigex and Cryofern like this.
Old May 20, 2022, 12:14 pm

Programs: none
Can anyone tell me how long the Covid testing procedure at Incheon airport T2 takes, including consultation & payment? As Airport Limousine buses aren't operating yet, I am planning to book a car to our hotel in Insadong but not sure what time to indicate...(as car service includes airport pickup service from the driver)
I thought about taking a taxi to avoid this problem but doubt there'll be one big enough to carry 3 pax with large suitcases... Please share your experiences, thanks so much!
Old May 20, 2022, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by kimmy kim
Can anyone tell me how long the Covid testing procedure at Incheon airport T2 takes, including consultation & payment? As Airport Limousine buses aren't operating yet, I am planning to book a car to our hotel in Insadong but not sure what time to indicate...(as car service includes airport pickup service from the driver)
I thought about taking a taxi to avoid this problem but doubt there'll be one big enough to carry 3 pax with large suitcases... Please share your experiences, thanks so much!
Expect about an hour from plane to testing center - minimal wait, 3 people could be done in like 15-20 minutes. And you can easily get a taxi. There's a taxi line with vans. You can also ask the information desk where to go to get in said line. Easy.
kimmy kim likes this.
Old May 23, 2022, 1:58 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Titanium ANA Diamond
Expect about an hour from plane to testing center - minimal wait, 3 people could be done in like 15-20 minutes. And you can easily get a taxi. There's a taxi line with vans. You can also ask the information desk where to go to get in said line. Easy.
I arrived last Sunday, I have an appointment booked and was a little late, not much of a queue and when asked if I had an appointment was taken to the front, doc check, then pay then test and out of the door, total 10 mins, very quick and easy.
kimmy kim likes this.
Old May 23, 2022, 5:09 pm

You do it at the airport testing center on arrival and need a reservation. safe2gopass.com OR you can also do it at the public health centers in the city (for your district where your accommodation will be).
We're arriving mid-June so the PCR can be taken with 3 days of arrival. Re the public health centers, is the PCR test free? Appointments needed? And the public heath centers do send the results to the gov't? And I understand results are sent via SMS (will get local number). We'll be staying in Gangnam, so we're planning on taking the test at the Gangnam Community Health Center.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.