Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The South Korea COVID-19 thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2021, 6:30 am

Programs: FB Gold • LH Senator • BA Silver • ITA Premium
Originally Posted by mikesaidyes
Not at all - only if you are showing symptoms like high temperature OR for people from certain countries they deem high risk.
Are you sure? On the quarantine exemption certificate is stated that you need to do a PCR test upon arrival and wait for the response.
Old Sep 23, 2021, 9:30 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I needed a RT PCR test within 72 hours of departure even with the quarantine exemption (as I mentioned above), but I did not get another test upon arrival.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 11:28 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Originally Posted by AZ112
Are you sure? On the quarantine exemption certificate is stated that you need to do a PCR test upon arrival and wait for the response.
It is a PCR test after you exit the airport - you go to your local health office for your registered address...it is not at the airport on arrival. You are free to leave the airport no waiting for test results etc. just normal processing
Old Sep 25, 2021, 2:51 am

Programs: FB Gold • LH Senator • BA Silver • ITA Premium
It is a PCR test after you exit the airport - you go to your local health office for your registered address...it is not at the airport on arrival. You are free to leave the airport no waiting for test results etc. just normal processing
Ok.
But if I wanna do the test in ICN instead of my local health office (that I suppose it is nearest to the hotel of my stay), I'm able to do so? I know a lot of helth offices close at 18.30, if my flight arrives at 15 I might have no time to do the test same day.
Old Sep 25, 2021, 9:49 pm

Programs: OZ D+ Lifetime
Just sharing with you my experience.

When arriving at ICN airport, the first checkpoint is where the Yellow Health Declaration Form is submitted. The person there asked if I wanted to take the PCR test at the airport or near my place in Seoul. The difference is that if you choose to take the test at the airport, you will have to stay there until the results come back (could be several hours). However if you choose to test near home, you can leave the airport and then get tested within 24 hrs or so. This was my experience as of August 2021.

Note: This is only for foreigners who have a long term visa for Korea and have been vaccinated abroad (outside of Korea). If your situation is not the same, then your requirements may be different.
Old Sep 27, 2021, 12:05 am

Originally Posted by nme7
Just sharing with you my experience.

When arriving at ICN airport, the first checkpoint is where the Yellow Health Declaration Form is submitted. The person there asked if I wanted to take the PCR test at the airport or near my place in Seoul. The difference is that if you choose to take the test at the airport, you will have to stay there until the results come back (could be several hours). However if you choose to test near home, you can leave the airport and then get tested within 24 hrs or so. This was my experience as of August 2021.

Note: This is only for foreigners who have a long term visa for Korea and have been vaccinated abroad (outside of Korea). If your situation is not the same, then your requirements may be different.
wow I'd get the test at the airport because you are then TRULY FREE! If you have to go home, the testing center might be closed, then you have to stay at home until the next day...then stay at home until the test results.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 8:04 pm

Programs: OZ D+ Lifetime
wow I'd get the test at the airport because you are then TRULY FREE! If you have to go home, the testing center might be closed, then you have to stay at home until the next day...then stay at home until the test results.
It is a good point. But in my situation I was not really free because I still needed to do daily self monitoring on the app for 2 weeks, along with another covid test on Day 6/7.

Those that have been vaccinated in Korea may have an easier time when they come back to Korea.
Old Oct 3, 2021, 6:39 am

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold

From Korean Embassy in Singapore
Old Oct 3, 2021, 6:40 am

This clearly indicates there is a need for a COVID test on arrival in Korea. I dont understand some of the discussion here that says you do not need one ?
LETTERBOY and Apollosmom like this.
Old Oct 4, 2021, 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by Braniff
This clearly indicates there is a need for a COVID test on arrival in Korea. I dont understand some of the discussion here that says you do not need one ?
You need a test ON ARRIVAL WITHIN ONE DAY. That means quarantining at hotel, at your house, or if you got an exemption you do it yourself in your neighborhood.

They only test AT THE AIRPORT if you want to get it done there and wait for like exemption (you don't have to) OR if you are showing symptoms and they won't let you go any further in the process to enter Korea.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 2:57 pm

Airport Quarantine Taxi

I have read about “Airport Quarantine Taxis.”

Can anyone comment in any issues with getting a taxi from the airport to downtown Seoul ?
Old Oct 14, 2021, 6:23 pm

Programs: ALL Gold, MPC Silver
Originally Posted by Braniff
I have read about “Airport Quarantine Taxis.”

Can anyone comment in any issues with getting a taxi from the airport to downtown Seoul ?
After arrivals there is a separate desk for quarantine taxis and they will connect you with a driver

I don't know if it's typical, but the taxi I took was a van (despite arriving alone) with a flimsy plastic sheet between the driver and the passenger.

It cost 60,000~70,000 KRW to Hannam-dong and the prices are fixed for each part of Seoul.

The Seoul metropolitan area was covered and I'm not sure how it is for other areas.
Braniff and Cryofern like this.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Yup, I missed the arrival testing requirement when I went in August. To be fair, at no time was this ever communicated to me. Turns out it was on the Quarantine Exemption certificate that I got in my email... in Korean, which I don't read/write/speak. Since my visit was so short (about 50 hours), no one ever caught it (including me) until after I left.

When I went back with my spouse earlier this month, we had our arrival test scheduled at the airport. Very easy.

In fact, I only caught the arrival testing requirement the second time because my spouse's Quarantine Exemption certificate was in English and he asked me about it!

Last edited by silly_stitcher; Oct 19, 2021 at 2:59 pm Reason: ETA more info
Old Oct 20, 2021, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by silly_stitcher
Yup, I missed the arrival testing requirement when I went in August. To be fair, at no time was this ever communicated to me. Turns out it was on the Quarantine Exemption certificate that I got in my email... in Korean, which I don't read/write/speak. Since my visit was so short (about 50 hours), no one ever caught it (including me) until after I left.

When I went back with my spouse earlier this month, we had our arrival test scheduled at the airport. Very easy.

In fact, I only caught the arrival testing requirement the second time because my spouse's Quarantine Exemption certificate was in English and he asked me about it!
You scheduled your arrival test at the airport? The main testing facility on site? I heard that they do not allow arrival passenger testing, though.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 9:19 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Petroleum
Due to arrive at ICN on 4th December from LHR with a quarantine exemption certificate in hand.

Do I understand today's news correctly that the certificate is now rendered meaningless and quarantine will be mandatory, if I proceed with the trip?

I've asked the question of the Korean Embassy in London but waiting for a response and their website news page is woeful!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.