Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The South Korea COVID-19 thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2020, 3:49 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
South Korea has now been put in the Reconsider Travel category by the US Department of State.

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...-advisory.html

Perhaps people should reconsider their travel to South Korea, and also, look very carefully at their travel insurance policy to see what is covered and what isn't.

Other considerations are of course the possible impact on their subsequent travel should you choose to travel there, e.g. quarantine measures, possible entry ban etc. that may be imposed by various countries in your itinerary.
What is not clear to me is the issue of transiting through ICN. I will be transiting in late march but not traveling to the country of South Korea).
Old Feb 29, 2020, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by fromYXU
What is not clear to me is the issue of transiting through ICN. I will be transiting in late march but not traveling to the country of South Korea).
(just to clarify, there is no quarantine for people travelling from south korea to usa, as of now)
but for purposes of quarantine, transit "counts" as being in the country.

If i were transiting the airport, i would consider the CDC advice (and either reconsider trip, or find an alternative routing)
jiejie likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 11:58 am

I have a trip from LAX-ICN-SGN on March 13th with Asiana. The LAX-ICN one has no problem, but the ICN-SGN one has major problem because the government of Vietnam already decided that all passenger from South Korea is going to get quarantined. I tried to cancel with Asiana, but they only offer reissue fee waiver (if I cancel then I would be on the hook for 300 dollars penalty). Even on Asiana website the flight from ICN to SGN is suspended until March 28. I even read the NOTAMs at SGN and they stated all incoming flight from South Korea will get diverted to another airport and passenger will be place in quarantine center for 14 days. I need to be in Vietnam from March 16th until April 5th. Should I wait until they cancel the flight? How should I proceed?
Old Mar 2, 2020, 12:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Suspended for your travel date would seem to be the same as being cancelled for your travel date, no?
Old Mar 2, 2020, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Suspended for your travel date would seem to be the same as being cancelled for your travel date, no?
I know right? The employee at Asiana insist that on her end it still shown my flight from ICN-SGN (Ho Chi Minh) as available, yet on Asiana website shown that my flight will be suspended from March 6th to 28th.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 3:50 pm

End up cancel the ticket out right. Yet Asiana office in Los Angeles still insist that the flight I was supposed to be on are available (OZ735). However their website is stating differently. This is probably the last time I will book with Asiana.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 8:43 am

Programs: FB Gold • LH Senator • BA Silver • ITA Premium
Hi there!
How is the situation there in South Korea?
I'm an Italian person and I was used to travel IT-SK few times at year for work reasons (very short travel... 1/2 days per trip in Seul). I'll be vaccinated very soon (pfizer vax), and I'm just wondering: Is there any chance of re-open borders soon to vaccinated foreigners? Any clue?
Old Apr 30, 2021, 3:30 am

Programs: MU Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by AZ112
Hi there!
How is the situation there in South Korea?
I'm an Italian person and I was used to travel IT-SK few times at year for work reasons (very short travel... 1/2 days per trip in Seul). I'll be vaccinated very soon (pfizer vax), and I'm just wondering: Is there any chance of re-open borders soon to vaccinated foreigners? Any clue?
From May 5th, residents who are fully vaccinated won't have to quarantine.

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-p...19-2021-04-28/

South Korea said on Wednesday it will offer some exemptions to mandatory quarantine measures for people who have been fully inoculated against COVID-19, in an effort to encourage more vaccinations.

No news about foreigners yet.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2021, 3:56 am

Programs: FB Gold • LH Senator • BA Silver • ITA Premium
Originally Posted by YariGuy
From May 5th, residents who are fully vaccinated won't have to quarantine.

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-p...19-2021-04-28/

No news about foreigners yet.
thanks for your update.
What's your thoughts? They will leave the quarantine even for foreigners in the next few month or there is no clue about it?
Old Apr 30, 2021, 6:59 pm

Programs: MU Platinum, HH Diamond
I'm no expert but if you make me guess, there will be no change for foreigners in the next 3 months.
AZ112 likes this.
Old May 2, 2021, 8:33 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Originally Posted by AZ112
thanks for your update.
What's your thoughts? They will leave the quarantine even for foreigners in the next few month or there is no clue about it?
Multiple layers to this. 1) Koreans themselves aren't even vaccinated. This is an attempt to encourage them to get the vaccine as it becomes available to the general public in June/July. Foreigners living here (registered legally) are available for the vaccine as Koreans. However, there is no official announcement if we are included yet.

SOME news articles state that "overseas vaccines" will be accepted....some say they're not. Again - there needs to be a specific statement from the embassies abroad etc and there's nothing yet. Just vague news articles.

My pure guess: For those of us living here - we will be "free' to leave and come back in the summer. They'll see how this roles out and then abroad foreigners/tourists etc. will be allowed back in without quarantine after that - maybe Fall.

Korean govt is ridiculously slow for good reason in this case hahah
AZ112 likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2021, 11:10 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Loews Platinum
Anyone see any movement on vaccinated foreigners not having to quarantine? I heard some Consulate person in LA mentioned there may be an announcement in June.
I'm fully vaccinated so I'm trying to decide if I should go now and just do the 14 days or wait till early July on the chance I might not have to quarantine. Thoughts?
Old Jun 4, 2021, 3:34 pm

Programs: ALL Gold, MPC Silver
Originally Posted by Braswch
Anyone see any movement on vaccinated foreigners not having to quarantine? I heard some Consulate person in LA mentioned there may be an announcement in June.
I'm fully vaccinated so I'm trying to decide if I should go now and just do the 14 days or wait till early July on the chance I might not have to quarantine. Thoughts?
They keep on talking about having reciprocal agreements with other countries but nothing concrete as yet.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 8:43 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Originally Posted by Braswch
Personally I'd wait - something is coming soon most likely, just ZERO idea when.....but I don't think it will be like Fall...sometime in Summer....
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 9:10 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Loews Platinum
Originally Posted by mikesaidyes
Personally I'd wait - something is coming soon most likely, just ZERO idea when.....but I don't think it will be like Fall...sometime in Summer....
Well... We are going on Friday. Who knows maybe we'll get surprised....., but seems earliest might be July.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.