Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mess in AMS today - April 2022 onwards

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2022, 7:48 am

Programs: DL Plat, DL AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by terrier
DL Silver Medallion (= SkyTeam Elite) does NOT give (sky)priority check-in access at Schiphol. Gold Medallion (= SkyTeam Elite Plus) does get SkyPriority access.
Can’t directly speak for Schiphol but as a DL Silver in the past I used priority check in for KLM in Brussels. Also a Flying Blue Silver benefit is priority check in, so why would that benefit not be extended to Sky Team Elite passengers?
Old Jun 24, 2022, 7:52 am

Programs: DL Plat, DL AMEX Plat
Good luck arguing that with the employee guarding the entrance to the SP check-in area when your BP/itin does not have SkyPriority printed on it. In any case I would never rely on it.
Beneath the sign of Sky Priority it often also mentions: “We also welcome Flying Blue Silver, SkyTeam Elite”. I’m pretty sure silvers can use that priority check in.

But NOT priority security lines.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 8:10 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Breaking: RJ moving some flights to MAA

Royal Jordanian is moving the following flights to Maastricht Aachen Airport / MAA = MST:
13, 20 and 27 July

https://www.luchtvaartnieuws.nl/nieu...aar-maastricht

and as others reported about AY (Finair)
double daily down to once a day (operated by A330/A350)
AY1305/1306 cancelled between 7th July and 28th August

https://www.luchtvaartnieuws.nl/nieu...-naar-schiphol

Last edited by HadesNL; Jun 24, 2022 at 9:08 am
Old Jun 24, 2022, 10:25 am

Good luck arguing that with the employee guarding the entrance to the SP check-in area when your BP/itin does not have SkyPriority printed on it. In any case I would never rely on it.
You don't have to argue, you can simply point at the sign behind them that says "we also welcome FB Silver and SkyTeam Elite".

This btw ignores that you generally don't have to argue with them; I rarely speak to them at all and if I do it's to answer affirmatively to the question 'SkyPriority or Business class?' after which they leave me alone and let me go about my business.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 10:30 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Originally Posted by Xandrios
Interesting. The LH check in agent told you to use the SkyPriority priority lane, going through the 'back entrance'? This one:

Some people have been doing that previously but this was considered 'against the rules'. Was there any agent at the gate to check your LH boarding pass, and did they let you through without having to argue with them? Or you just went through the gates with the "do not enter" sign without talking to anyone? (I'd have done the same, by the way..)

One thing to note is that Skypriority check in only opens at 04:30AM. And at that time, departures 2 security (which is where the escalator ends up) is still closed. unclear to me when security does open there. There may, or may not, be a way to move upstairs from Departures 2 to Departures 1. Last week I had to ask staff to open some of the barriers upstairs as Departures 2 was still closed, and the priority lane through to Departures 1 was roped off.

If this is, in fact, now the official new Priority lane for all elites/business pax (So not only KLM Skypriority like it has been so far) then that would be a very good development for everyone not flying Skyteam. Slightly less great news for SkyPriority and Privium pax as more people will be using this priority lane.

Schiphol says this... not too clear. but they do confirm that there should be a priority entrance for non Skyteam pax... theoretically.

The closer to summer, the more people will be on those awful 5-6-7 AM Transavia flights out of Departures 1. For some reason the majority of Transavia aircraft depart at that hour, and these are mainly holiday destinations. I'm pretty sure this is the majority of the Departures 1 queue at the early morning.
So what's the best gameplan for someone flying KLM TATL J in two weeks, originating at AMS and departing at 9:45am. Go through Security/Bag check at Departures 2? Departures 3? We're planning on arriving at 5am, since we absolutely can't miss our flight, but this 4 hour rule worries me.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 10:34 am

On Thursday I arrived 4:55 for a 6:20 HV flight. KL priority gate opened at 5AM. Privium was open. There was a lady checking boarding passes and sending people to the back of the line. I believe those that were not on a ST flight but not 100% clear. I waved some cards around (I have Privium but my wife not yet) and was waved through - clearly she was new as she was taking very long for each person. We were thru in about 20 min and regular lines also seemed quite OK. KL lounge was open though the website indicates it is supposed to be closed? Privium express lounge opened at 5:30 on the dot.

Week before my kid flying to JFK was thru with Privium in 5 minutes.

Last edited by erik123; Jun 24, 2022 at 10:41 am
Old Jun 24, 2022, 11:56 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Sitrep from today.

My flight is delayed by about two hours, but every alternative is hopelessly over (the nice check-in staff checked). I guess I'll be overnighting in Vienna and then it's a question of taking the train or next flight tomorrow (at least there is one now, in winter there was none).

I've checked departures 1 control. There's an optimistic sign that mentions "for connections shorter than 60 minutes" but in reality it's closed. Everyone has to go through the stairs, there's now signs going all the way back to the first door by check-in 1, reusing some of the tents that would have been used for entry to terminal.

I'm currently in Privium lounge outside security, it's about a third full, and there is a constant flow of people registering with the Marechaussee. The screen said the waiting time was 30-35 minutes for Dep1 and 0-2 minutes for 3 and 4 when I arrived an hour and a half ago, then it went to 10-12 each and later 0-2 each.

Unfortunately I can't in the end comment on airside as my flight was cancelled.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 11:59 am

Programs: DL DM/MM
Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
Sitrep from today.

My flight is delayed by about two hours, but every alternative is hopelessly over (the nice check-in staff checked). I guess I'll be overnighting in Vienna and then it's a question of taking the train or next flight tomorrow (at least there is one now, in winter there was none).

I've checked departures 1 control. There's an optimistic sign that mentions "for connections shorter than 60 minutes" but in reality it's closed. Everyone has to go through the stairs, there's now signs going all the way back to the first door by check-in 1, reusing some of the tents that would have been used for entry to terminal.

I'm currently in Privium lounge outside security, it's about a third full, and there is a constant flow of people registering with the Marechaussee. The screen said the waiting time was 30-35 minutes for Dep1 and 0-2 minutes for 3 and 4 when I arrived an hour and a half ago, then it went to 10-12 each and later 0-2 each.

Unfortunately I can't in the end comment on airside as my flight was cancelled.
Are you flying out of VIE And connecting in AMS to another country in Schengen zone?
Old Jun 24, 2022, 12:40 pm

The Schengen-to-Non-Schengen this evening around 8pm was relatively quiet. 6 e-gates open and some booths. Wait up to 5-10 min.

Now in the also relatively quiet Lounge 52, saw my first mouse. What do I get? Maybe a G&T in a proper glass?
Old Jun 24, 2022, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by UVAhoo06
Are you flying out of VIE And connecting in AMS to another country in Schengen zone?
Actually, I'm flying out from Amsterdam connecting in Vienna to another country in the Schengen zone well that was the plan, after two successive cancellations today and one planned already tomorrow morning, there is no confirmed seat to Vienna for quite some time. Ground crew is sending people to a hotel and hoping a large aircraft will show up tomorrow.

Meanwhile I snagged a seat on a KLM flight to Budapest, itself heavily delayed.

Originally Posted by jerry_greece
Now in the also relatively quiet Lounge 52, saw my first mouse. What do I get? Maybe a G&T in a proper glass?
G&T is a solid choice. Teacher's whisky works if it's not your first drink of the night.

I was shocked to find no Tabasco in the Schengen lounge tonight.

jerry_greece I have about an hour till my departure. If you fancy a quick drink in the lounge, shoot me a quick message.
atflyer likes this.

Last edited by Fabo.sk; Jun 24, 2022 at 12:59 pm
Old Jun 24, 2022, 1:21 pm

Oh right, the security experience... I passed shortly after 8. Everybody was directed from Dep2 checkpoint, which was being closed and cleaned, to Dep 1 side. Both priority and not

I was the only person in priority section, this time no secondary either.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 1:52 pm

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
Oh right, the security experience... I passed shortly after 8. Everybody was directed from Dep2 checkpoint, which was being closed and cleaned, to Dep 1 side. Both priority and not

I was the only person in priority section, this time no secondary either.
My goodness, this is nuts. Departures 2 is towards non-Schengen not? So the pour souls had to clear security S-S via D1 and then go through the airside S-nS passport control?

Last edited by atflyer; Jun 24, 2022 at 2:05 pm
Old Jun 24, 2022, 2:01 pm

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
Originally Posted by hi55us
So what's the best gameplan for someone flying KLM TATL J in two weeks, originating at AMS and departing at 9:45am. Go through Security/Bag check at Departures 2? Departures 3? We're planning on arriving at 5am, since we absolutely can't miss our flight, but this 4 hour rule worries me.
Which day? You could compare with the calendar of busy/less busy days in this thread (usually Tuesdays are less of an issue). But in general I have the impression that the mornings are causing most trouble (that is why I moved an early afternoon flight Sunday to Oslo to Saturday late evening - KLM allowed this free of charge, my host is fine with offering me another day hotel pay. And that is why you saw this pic of people queueing from 3.30-5.30 am - Transavia indeed has these early holiday flights since then they can squeeze in another leg of the plane in the same day). Worried people that normally would show up 1.5 hours in advance, now show up 4 hours in advance -> 2-3 times the crowd early mornings. I would just see how Dep 2 and Dep 3 look like and then chose the best one (many posts earlier I shared my experience upon coming back from London that using immigration at the stairs going down from D gates was looking bad, and immigration at E-gates got me through in 25 minutes). In short, I think the best game plan is indeed arriving a bit over 4 hours before the flight (hope you travel hand luggage, otherwise you are too early for the luggage drop), and then check if D2/D3 would be quickest. If I have to believe Schiphol communication there have been people missing flights on the few worst days, but with 4 hours you may be reasonably safe. And who knows on your day it is one of the days that 30-40 min are all that is needed. Good luck.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by atflyer
My goodness, this is nuts. Departures 2 is towards non-Schengen not? So the pour souls had to clear security S-S via D1 and then go through the airside S-nS passport control?
Both 1 and 2 lead to Schengen. 2 has a direct hallway to NS passport control as well, this is reachable from 1 too but under normal circumstances would be against flow of people.(separate one, not transfer one.)

As previously mentioned, Dep1 normal entry is closed, although Privium gates might? be accessible. So all NS pax are funneled through the stairs, except for those with priority who ignore the stairs and go by back of SP zone.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 4:40 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Originally Posted by atflyer
Which day? You could compare with the calendar of busy/less busy days in this thread (usually Tuesdays are less of an issue). But in general I have the impression that the mornings are causing most trouble (that is why I moved an early afternoon flight Sunday to Oslo to Saturday late evening - KLM allowed this free of charge, my host is fine with offering me another day hotel pay. And that is why you saw this pic of people queueing from 3.30-5.30 am - Transavia indeed has these early holiday flights since then they can squeeze in another leg of the plane in the same day). Worried people that normally would show up 1.5 hours in advance, now show up 4 hours in advance -> 2-3 times the crowd early mornings. I would just see how Dep 2 and Dep 3 look like and then chose the best one (many posts earlier I shared my experience upon coming back from London that using immigration at the stairs going down from D gates was looking bad, and immigration at E-gates got me through in 25 minutes). In short, I think the best game plan is indeed arriving a bit over 4 hours before the flight (hope you travel hand luggage, otherwise you are too early for the luggage drop), and then check if D2/D3 would be quickest. If I have to believe Schiphol communication there have been people missing flights on the few worst days, but with 4 hours you may be reasonably safe. And who knows on your day it is one of the days that 30-40 min are all that is needed. Good luck.
Ok, thanks for the information. We are flying out on a Monday, July 11th, can't seem to find the calendar that says if this is expected to be a peak day, but expecting the worst.

We will be checking bags, what time is the cutoff for this? We really can't move the flight to the night before, since all of the US bound flights are in the morning. Already planning on staying at the Sheraton so we're close to the airport in the morning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.