Wiki Posts
Search

Mess in AMS today - April 2022 onwards

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2022, 2:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BobTL
That was an extensive way to say “ you are right” 😁
Not only that, you have the Dutch government on your side too. They wasted €200,000 of taxpayer money trying to rebrand the country and stop people from saying Holland. Now if they had paid the entire sum to me, I might just have complied. But probably not for long.

All we need now is for somebody to write new PC lyrics for Hup Holland Hup!

Johan
Solevita likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 2:30 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
RTL Nieuws is reporting that this coming weekend is expected to result in a "critical situation": https://www.rtlnieuws.nl/economie/be...uni-zomer-niet
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 2:44 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by malmostoso
Apparently Schiphol and the unions have found an agreement to move forward, however travelers should still expect long lines and delays over the summer.
In anticipation for possible strikes today, and since KLM is offering a no-fare-difference change policy I moved today's flight to later this week. Seems that was not needed then. Guess thats good news nonetheless.

Originally Posted by HadesNL
For those planning flights from Amsterdam airport this summer.
Rijksoverheid shows the dates for annual school holidays:
https://www.rijksoverheid.nl/onderwe...ties-2021-2022

You can get an impression which weekends ( the actual start of the school sumner holidays) (per region) will become busy at Schiphol airport. Besides departures, don't forget about the expected increase at arrivals. So be warned!

Awesome I'm departing the 15th very early morning. If long lines are nowadays already there at 3AM I may consider just going airside at midnight, overnight somewhere airside instead. May be more comfortable than getting up at 2AM, taking a taxi to the airport, and stand in line for 3 hours in the middle of the night..
Old Jun 1, 2022, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ignorantcow
the opinion of the rest of the country.
What makes you think the rest of the country (or the rest of the world, for that matter) even has an opinion. I bet that the vast majority of Hollanders couldn't care less.

It doesn't change the fact that using "Holland" to refer to the country is antiquated and incorrect. The official name is the Netherlands.
Being both antiquated and congenitally incorrect, I'll leave that to the officious, pedantic and bumptious. With pleasure!

OK, end of spat, back on topic.

Originally Posted by mfkne
RTL Nieuws is reporting that this coming weekend is expected to result in a "critical situation": https://www.rtlnieuws.nl/economie/be...uni-zomer-niet
One thing I have in my favor here is that I rarely fly on weekends, and to my great relief I have no AMS weekend flights planned at all this year, barring contingencies.

Johan
Old Jun 1, 2022, 3:13 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
I for one will be travelling this Sunday morning at 10, planning to be there 7:30-ish. I'll report on the scenes.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 3:57 am

Programs: AF, BA, SK, Marriott & Hilton
Originally Posted by johan rebel
The other day my colleague who does book the flights said that prices for June and July have almost doubled again. Talking about shorthaul return flights to AMS here.
Johan
I can confirm!
I am flying via AMS quite often, but now for the next 3 months, I cannot find a "normal" price Biz or Eco.
really feels they do not want you to fly there
AnaTFN likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Relax everybody, take a deep breath, here's some really good news for all those who face the prospect of horrendous airport queues: the Knight in Shining IATA Armor is riding to our rescue!

The organization is boldly calling for "holistic reforms"! As everybody knows, anything remotely holistic will solve any and every problem by magic. Just like that!

The more practical suggestions include gems such as "Adoption of 25by25 campaign to help address the gender imbalance across the industry". A perfunctory sop to the woke ESG crowd for sure, but I don't quite see how that's going to shorten the lines at AMS this coming weekend.

Fortunately, they have also come up with some really original and innovative ideas that might actually make a difference, e.g. "
Adoption of new technologies and automated processes". Thank God for IATA's shiny knight, I could never have thought of that one myself. And surely Benschop couldn't either.

Johan
Old Jun 1, 2022, 4:52 am

Programs: Aeroplan;KLM;UA
This is well timed:

Old Jun 1, 2022, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any news on how the slot reductions might manifest for other airlines?
Old Jun 1, 2022, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by johan rebel
Not only that, you have the Dutch government on your side too. They wasted €200,000 of taxpayer money trying to rebrand the country and stop people from saying Holland. Now if they had paid the entire sum to me, I might just have complied. But probably not for long.

All we need now is for somebody to write new PC lyrics for Hup Holland Hup!

Hup Holland Hup

Johan
Change is difficult, I know😁
North-South Holland is just a relatively small part of The Netherlands and doesn’t do justice to the rest of the remaining 10 provinces so it’s not more than logical that the country is called The Netherlands.
You also don’t call the United Kingdom, England, do you 😊? This is more or less the same situation.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 7:08 am

Programs: BAEC Silver | Flying Blue Gold | Accor Gold
Originally Posted by AurelAF96
Sweet! At what time do you think you'll arrived at the airport?
Not sure myself, I'm working in Amsterdam-Zuid tomorrow morning.
Probably 2-3 hour in advance depending on workmeetings, but hand baggage only as I managed to grab mobile boarding passes.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by hugolover
Any news on how the slot reductions might manifest for other airlines?
It manifests in them taking a voluntary decision to cancel flights for which they had already sold tickets.

With the seemingly daily news of BA and easyjet cancelling upwards of 100 flights, it seems likely that there will be many such "manifestations" for airlines operating from Schiphol, too!!!
Old Jun 1, 2022, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
You also don’t call the United Kingdom, England, do you 😊? This is more or less the same situation.
Johan might not; but the Dutch do in fact use "Engeland" as fully interchangeable for "Verenigd Koninkrijk".

https://onzetaal.nl/taaladvies/engel...igd-koninkrijk
Old Jun 1, 2022, 7:42 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Spoken like a true "hollander" with arrogance and absolutely no regard for nuance nor the opinion of the rest of the country. Which is fine, it is your prerogative.

It doesn't change the fact that using "Holland" to refer to the country is antiquated and incorrect. The official name is the Netherlands.
Change is difficult, I know😁
North-South Holland is just a relatively small part of The Netherlands and doesn’t do justice to the rest of the remaining 10 provinces so it’s not more than logical that the country is called The Netherlands.
True as that may be... how does that mean that the job market in Holland is not tight, and how does that not impact the major airport that happens to be located smack dab in the middle of Holland?

OK, maybe Randstad would be more all-encompassing as I am sure many airport workers commute from Provincie Utrecht and no doubt a sizeable number also from the southwestern end of Flevoland, but the fact remains, Schiphol is in Holland. And the situation it finds itself in is only very tangentially related to job market in Maastricht, which, while undoubtedly being in The Netherlands, is very far from Holland indeed.
hhdl likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 7:51 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by South London Bon Viveur
And the queues are only a problem in North Holland's airport. South Holland's airport does better (though admittedly with a lighter load)
I've recently been made aware by Privium that they offer also lounge access in Zuid-Hollands premier airport. Unfortunately, unlike Noord-Brabantse, no priority security is included. Does that even work in RTM, does anyone know? What are the waiting times these days?

I have no idea. The one and only time I managed to use the airport was years ago, lately they just don't offer any useful destination for me, except perhaps LCY but that that's on BA, so of limited usefulness compared to LCY KL flights from AMS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.