Mess in AMS today - April 2022 onwards

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 3, 22, 7:36 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Fabo.sk
Wiki Link
The latest suggestions and state of the Mess in Amsterdam of Summer '22 - short staffing and security issues.

Starting late April/early May 2022, Amsterdam Airport Schiphol is showing signs of chronic, and at times extreme, overcrowding. This thread is dedicated largely to the discussion of the same.

We have created this wiki to have a single point of reference, updated periodically with tips, tricks and reports of current state.

Bottlenecks

As of June 2nd, there are 2 bottlenecks at the airport.
1. Entrance to the terminal building from outside (arrival by car)
2. Security checks.

As of June 20th, unsatisfactory situation has been reported also on all arrival passport checks.

Tips to deal with Entrance to the terminal building lines

As of July 3rd, you could enter the terminal from train station without hindrance. On travel heavy days, consider getting dropped off at Hoofdorp, Zuid or Lelylaan and taking a train one station instead.
Privium holders are reportedly able to bypass lines by showing the Privium card.
Note: Schiphol is sometimes limiting access to passengers 4 hours before the flight, both from outside and through Schiphol plaza.
The checks do happen, but you are very likely to be able to bypass them from Schiphol Plaza (arrival by train or bus) by using the lift or stairs instead of inclined travelators.

Tips to deal with Security lines

There are currently three departure checkpoints into the main terminal area (plus one for the lowcost wing). Departures 1 and 2 are used for Schengen flights, Departures 2 and 3 for non-Schengen. (You can, however, turn left after leaving checkpoint for Departures 1 and reach exit control).
You don't have to use the checkpoint in your airlines departure area, so check if one of the other ones has a shorter line. However keep in mind that transfer passport control might bring additional delay.
If you have priority, ignore the main entrances to the checkpoints, particularly 1 and 2. Especially ignore the line for the stairs to checkpoint 2. Enter via SkyPriority zone, either via front if you have STE+/SP, or via back from Oversized Baggage point. There is a Privium card reader if you are a holder, alternatively sneak by opening one-way gate by hand.
The stairs at the back of SP zone are now official and only access point for priority for Schengen. The position is manned and access rules are strictly enforced.
Once upstairs, you can enter the lines for Departures 2 directly, or take a left, then another left, and you'll find yourself in Departures 1 checkpoint area.
Once upstairs, staff direct you either to enter rightmost lane in checkpoint 2, or to turn left to proceed to leftmost lane of checkpoint 1.
Privium holders can alternatively use Privium gates at otherwise closed Departures 1 checkpoint entry (behind check-in row 3), join the rightmost lane of checkpoint 1. There is going to be some mixing with non-prio pax at the filter, but on the upside, there is guaranteed no non-Privium priority pax coming up the stairs so you are virtually guaranteed to have no more than ~5 people in the queue immediately in front of the filter.

Tips to deal with Immigration / Passport Control lines

There are four options for arriving (from secure location) passengers. One is to use transfer passport control, one is to use passport control by F gates and another is to use passport control by E gates. There are also stairs by end of D pier next to the transfer control. All these feed into different lines.
There is no trick, just see if one of the other ones is shorter, depending on where the majority of recently arrived flights are docked.

Passengers arriving from unsecure locations cannot reach these without going through transit security. The only option is to follow the signs for entry control.

If you really want to make sure you're safe and are willing to pay extra

Schiphol VIP services are available at 390 for the first, 175 for each additional passenger (excl. VAT; with VAT rates are 471.90+211.75)
VIP service is at capacity and is not accepting new reservations.

General timeline suggestions

For Privium passengers, 1 hour should be comfortable in almost all cases.
For SkyPriority passengers, 1.5 hours should be comfortable in almost all cases.
For other priority passengers, it really depends on whether the priority lines are open but I would personally aim for 1.5 - 2 hours. Worst case you can sneak into the SkyPriority area from the back and use the gates there (your BP will be accepted). The priority line behind SP area is now open to all prio pax.
For non-priority passengers, realistically, 4 hours should be enough except at the worst times. Anyone informed enough to post here will probably also understand that the entire airport (except the easyJet gates I guess) is connected airside and you can shop around the different security areas depending on how bad the lines look.

Common Questions

I'm transferring from a non-schengen to a non-schengen flight in XX, will I make it?
Yes, you will. Non-schengen to non-schengen transfers happen by first arriving at AMS.
If you arrive from a secure area (EU, UK, US, Canada, direct non-stop SIN): You then navigate yourself within the departures area to your non-schengen flight out of AMS and this takes less than 20 minutes, even if you have to walk from D gates to G gates.
If you arrive from non-secure area (other than mentioned; SIN flights via DPS): You will have to follow transit signs for transit security. There are no reports of transit security taking unusually long.

If you want to print your BP for the next segment, there are many transfer check-in machines across the non-schengen gates for you to print your BP, do check-in/document check, change seat, and etc for your next flight. No security or immigration is involved and odds are, you will wait at the gate for boarding, If you are FB Gold and up, STE+, or flying in business class, you will have access to the Crown Lounge and can grab a bite, get some work done, take a shower, or rent one of the sleeping pods depending on how long your transit is.

Print Wikipost

Old Jun 1, 22, 2:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BobTL View Post
That was an extensive way to say “ you are right” 😁
Not only that, you have the Dutch government on your side too. They wasted €200,000 of taxpayer money trying to rebrand the country and stop people from saying Holland. Now if they had paid the entire sum to me, I might just have complied. But probably not for long.

All we need now is for somebody to write new PC lyrics for Hup Holland Hup!

Johan
Solevita likes this.
Old Jun 1, 22, 2:30 am

Programs: FB Platinum, Hilton Gold, ALL Silver
RTL Nieuws is reporting that this coming weekend is expected to result in a "critical situation": https://www.rtlnieuws.nl/economie/be...uni-zomer-niet
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Jun 1, 22, 2:44 am

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by malmostoso View Post
Apparently Schiphol and the unions have found an agreement to move forward, however travelers should still expect long lines and delays over the summer.
In anticipation for possible strikes today, and since KLM is offering a no-fare-difference change policy I moved today's flight to later this week. Seems that was not needed then. Guess thats good news nonetheless.

Originally Posted by HadesNL View Post
For those planning flights from Amsterdam airport this summer.
Rijksoverheid shows the dates for annual school holidays:
https://www.rijksoverheid.nl/onderwe...ties-2021-2022

You can get an impression which weekends ( the actual start of the school sumner holidays) (per region) will become busy at Schiphol airport. Besides departures, don't forget about the expected increase at arrivals. So be warned!

Awesome I'm departing the 15th very early morning. If long lines are nowadays already there at 3AM I may consider just going airside at midnight, overnight somewhere airside instead. May be more comfortable than getting up at 2AM, taking a taxi to the airport, and stand in line for 3 hours in the middle of the night..
Old Jun 1, 22, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ignorantcow View Post
the opinion of the rest of the country.
What makes you think the rest of the country (or the rest of the world, for that matter) even has an opinion. I bet that the vast majority of Hollanders couldn't care less.

It doesn't change the fact that using "Holland" to refer to the country is antiquated and incorrect. The official name is the Netherlands.
Being both antiquated and congenitally incorrect, I'll leave that to the officious, pedantic and bumptious. With pleasure!

OK, end of spat, back on topic.

Originally Posted by mfkne View Post
RTL Nieuws is reporting that this coming weekend is expected to result in a "critical situation": https://www.rtlnieuws.nl/economie/be...uni-zomer-niet
One thing I have in my favor here is that I rarely fly on weekends, and to my great relief I have no AMS weekend flights planned at all this year, barring contingencies.

Johan
Old Jun 1, 22, 3:13 am

Programs: FB Platinum, Hilton Gold, ALL Silver
I for one will be travelling this Sunday morning at 10, planning to be there 7:30-ish. I'll report on the scenes.
Old Jun 1, 22, 3:57 am

Programs: AF, BA, SK, Marriott & Hilton
Originally Posted by johan rebel View Post
The other day my colleague who does book the flights said that prices for June and July have almost doubled again. Talking about shorthaul return flights to AMS here.
Johan
I can confirm!
I am flying via AMS quite often, but now for the next 3 months, I cannot find a "normal" price Biz or Eco.
really feels they do not want you to fly there
AnaTFN likes this.
Old Jun 1, 22, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Relax everybody, take a deep breath, here's some really good news for all those who face the prospect of horrendous airport queues: the Knight in Shining IATA Armor is riding to our rescue!

The organization is boldly calling for "holistic reforms"! As everybody knows, anything remotely holistic will solve any and every problem by magic. Just like that!

The more practical suggestions include gems such as "Adoption of 25by25 campaign to help address the gender imbalance across the industry". A perfunctory sop to the woke ESG crowd for sure, but I don't quite see how that's going to shorten the lines at AMS this coming weekend.

Fortunately, they have also come up with some really original and innovative ideas that might actually make a difference, e.g. "
Adoption of new technologies and automated processes". Thank God for IATA's shiny knight, I could never have thought of that one myself. And surely Benschop couldn't either.

Johan
Old Jun 1, 22, 4:52 am

Programs: Aeroplan;KLM;UA
This is well timed:

Old Jun 1, 22, 5:54 am

Any news on how the slot reductions might manifest for other airlines?
Old Jun 1, 22, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by johan rebel View Post
Not only that, you have the Dutch government on your side too. They wasted Ä200,000 of taxpayer money trying to rebrand the country and stop people from saying Holland. Now if they had paid the entire sum to me, I might just have complied. But probably not for long.

All we need now is for somebody to write new PC lyrics for Hup Holland Hup!

Hup Holland Hup

Johan
Change is difficult, I know😁
North-South Holland is just a relatively small part of The Netherlands and doesnít do justice to the rest of the remaining 10 provinces so itís not more than logical that the country is called The Netherlands.
You also donít call the United Kingdom, England, do you 😊? This is more or less the same situation.
Old Jun 1, 22, 7:08 am

Programs: BAEC Silver | Flying Blue Gold | Accor Gold
Originally Posted by AurelAF96 View Post
Sweet! At what time do you think you'll arrived at the airport?
Not sure myself, I'm working in Amsterdam-Zuid tomorrow morning.
Probably 2-3 hour in advance depending on workmeetings, but hand baggage only as I managed to grab mobile boarding passes.
Old Jun 1, 22, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold; BA Rust
Originally Posted by hugolover View Post
Any news on how the slot reductions might manifest for other airlines?
It manifests in them taking a voluntary decision to cancel flights for which they had already sold tickets.

With the seemingly daily news of BA and easyjet cancelling upwards of 100 flights, it seems likely that there will be many such "manifestations" for airlines operating from Schiphol, too!!!
Old Jun 1, 22, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold; BA Rust
You also donít call the United Kingdom, England, do you 😊? This is more or less the same situation.
Johan might not; but the Dutch do in fact use "Engeland" as fully interchangeable for "Verenigd Koninkrijk".

https://onzetaal.nl/taaladvies/engel...igd-koninkrijk
Old Jun 1, 22, 7:42 am

Programs: ST E+, *G, some hotel gold...
Spoken like a true "hollander" with arrogance and absolutely no regard for nuance nor the opinion of the rest of the country. Which is fine, it is your prerogative.

It doesn't change the fact that using "Holland" to refer to the country is antiquated and incorrect. The official name is the Netherlands.
Change is difficult, I know😁
North-South Holland is just a relatively small part of The Netherlands and doesnít do justice to the rest of the remaining 10 provinces so itís not more than logical that the country is called The Netherlands.
True as that may be... how does that mean that the job market in Holland is not tight, and how does that not impact the major airport that happens to be located smack dab in the middle of Holland?

OK, maybe Randstad would be more all-encompassing as I am sure many airport workers commute from Provincie Utrecht and no doubt a sizeable number also from the southwestern end of Flevoland, but the fact remains, Schiphol is in Holland. And the situation it finds itself in is only very tangentially related to job market in Maastricht, which, while undoubtedly being in The Netherlands, is very far from Holland indeed.
hhdl likes this.
Old Jun 1, 22, 7:51 am

Programs: ST E+, *G, some hotel gold...
Originally Posted by South London Bon Viveur View Post
And the queues are only a problem in North Holland's airport. South Holland's airport does better (though admittedly with a lighter load)
I've recently been made aware by Privium that they offer also lounge access in Zuid-Hollands premier airport. Unfortunately, unlike Noord-Brabantse, no priority security is included. Does that even work in RTM, does anyone know? What are the waiting times these days?

I have no idea. The one and only time I managed to use the airport was years ago, lately they just don't offer any useful destination for me, except perhaps LCY but that that's on BA, so of limited usefulness compared to LCY KL flights from AMS.

Search this Thread