Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mess in AMS today - April 2022 onwards

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2022, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's finally light at the end of the tunnel: Schiphol has canceled its annual Bloemendaal aan Zee staff and travel industry beach party, claiming that they are now going to focus on the coming summer peak season instead.

Phew!

Johan
TPJ and mpkz like this.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 3:31 pm

Programs: FB Plat, *A Gold
Originally Posted by johan rebel
Hadn't thought about that, but I will have the same issue, as I'm always picked up at departures as well.

Johan
Depending on the time of the day I think. Just (10pm) picked up my daughter at departures, no problem. Just ignore the signs that you're only allowed to drop off.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 4:17 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
That does bring up an interesting question though. is there a way to move between Departures and arrivals, on foot, without going through the terminal/plaza? I'm looking at the map and I get the impression that there is not. Even P1 and the Sheraton are only connected to Plaza. But there must be a way, especially in case of some kind of emergency there must be a route outside to move between the levels?

Only, potential, way I found is here at the end of Departures 3, where there seems to be a lift. Or perhaps through the Privium parking which also seems connected to Departures 3..
https://goo.gl/maps/78h3zjA7RiLmFR3E8

Last edited by Xandrios; Jun 4, 2022 at 4:22 am
Old Jun 4, 2022, 5:19 am

At the moment sitting on a plane having a CTOT in 1 hour on a already delayed departure. Runways are not favourable again (winds?). Only one runway used for arrivals and one for departures since this morning which limits capacity I guess.

By the way, the queue for KLM transfer desk around C pier was wayyyyyyy long spanking well into the C gates.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 5:49 am

Programs: Flying Blue/Platinum, TK/Elite Plus, QR/Platinum, LH/FTL, Marriott/Platinum
The Schengen lounge is “closed” at the moment, no one allowed in anymore even though for the 30 min I’ve been waiting here, at least 30-40 guests left the lounge already.

Now they called in KMar to man the lounge entrance to scare away those who’s trying to talk sense into the lounge agent (as to why no one is allowed in despite people leaving and having seats opened up in the lounge).

Fun times
irishguy28, wrp96, HadesNL and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 6:36 am

Programs: Flying Blue/Platinum, TK/Elite Plus, QR/Platinum, LH/FTL, Marriott/Platinum
Update: now the lounge is probably around 80% full and most of the dining area tables are vacant.

Still no one allowed in, reason is they can’t help those who needs rebooking, however those who doesnt require rebooking and merely just needs a seat also isn’t allowed in.

It’s either a dumb decision maker on duty or they aren’t really telling the truth.
Solevita likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
2 hours after checking in for tomorrow's return flight, I get a message that it's cancelled. No rebooking options available, and the Platinum Service Line is basically unreachable (I managed to get through after at least 20 attempts but gave up after being on hold for ages).

I am now in possession of a train ticket for tomorrow's journey. That's what I get for being too clever and changing my ticket; the flight I originally purchased is still scheduled to operate
Old Jun 4, 2022, 7:16 am

Coworker flew today on the same flight I'm taking tomorrow and reported:
  • arrived Schiphol station 9:40
  • Walked straight upstairs past the sandwich boards "guarding" the escalator to departures 2, notwithstanding it being >4h before scheduled departure.
  • Docs checked at (non-SP) counter and was at the end of the queue to get to the boarding pass scanner for the departures 2 filter by 10:15.
  • Through the BP scanner at 10:45, at the top of the stairs at 11
  • Through security around noon and through Schengen exit e-gates by 12:15. So, in total, about 2.5 hours in line and plenty of time to kill before departure.

Could have been worse - and it did get worse apparently. Coworker also said "don't come any later than I did, by the time I was up the stairs to security and could see out the windows, outside crowding looked....not great." And while the flight boarded on time, it was held an additional 40 minutes as the crew announced that "half the passengers were still stuck in security." No word on how many got left behind.

So much for "no point in coming >4h ahead of time" - at least without SP. Still planning on arriving ~6h in advance tomorrow.
Bogwoppit, Xandrios and HadesNL like this.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 7:17 am

Programs: FB Plat
I have been flying weekly in and out of AMS and the last two times the Schengen lounge was very packed, first time no seat available, last Thursday maybe seats for 10 people spread over the entire lounge available. All this around 10am-1pm. I didn't see many people interacting with the staff at all, while there was a clear overcrowding problem, so I am inclined to believe that this is an excuse as you say newflyer530
HadesNL likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 8:17 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Originally Posted by irishguy28
2 hours after checking in for tomorrow's return I am now in possession of a train ticket for tomorrow's journey. That's what I get for being too clever and changing my ticket; the flight I originally purchased is still scheduled to operate
Good luck, sorry to hear your flight has been cancelled!
Hope this won't be a common occurence with KLM consolidating flights.....
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 8:23 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
I've recently been made aware by Privium that they offer also lounge access in Zuid-Hollands premier airport. Unfortunately, unlike Noord-Brabantse, no priority security is included. Does that even work in RTM, does anyone know? What are the waiting times these days?

I have no idea. The one and only time I managed to use the airport was years ago, lately they just don't offer any useful destination for me, except perhaps LCY but that that's on BA, so of limited usefulness compared to LCY KL flights from AMS.
For anyone interested,
I have posted my experience of flying BA from RTM to LCY (lounge + departure experience) with photograpic step by step guide.
You can find it at: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34303136-post21.html
It could be worthwile for future reference if the whole Schiphol departures will remain chaotic for future seasons
terrier, Xandrios and mpkz like this.

Last edited by HadesNL; Jun 4, 2022 at 9:38 am
Old Jun 4, 2022, 9:05 am

Would today’s situation at schiphol qualify for 261/2004 compensation? Or would they blame things on the wind, which is, after all, weather?
Old Jun 4, 2022, 9:32 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by irishguy28
2 hours after checking in for tomorrow's return flight, I get a message that it's cancelled. No rebooking options available, and the Platinum Service Line is basically unreachable (I managed to get through after at least 20 attempts but gave up after being on hold for ages).

I am now in possession of a train ticket for tomorrow's journey. That's what I get for being too clever and changing my ticket; the flight I originally purchased is still scheduled to operate
I'd keep trying the PSL, as doing nothing probably won't get you to your destination. Are there any alternative flights (non Skyteam even) that would work? They may be included to rebook onto those as them cancelling the flights would otherwise, probably be cause for compensation. Worst case...if you really have to fly at a specific date, you could book a (flexible?) ticket on another airline and whenever you do talk to KLM see what can be done.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 10:47 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Ultimate, LATAM Black, ALL Platinum, Hertz Platinum
Lounge 25 closed due to shortage of staff. Pax being sent to lounge 52 instead.

irishguy28 and Maestro Ramen like this.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 11:05 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Ultimate, LATAM Black, ALL Platinum, Hertz Platinum
This is not a boarding queue, it is the beginning of the Transfer desk queue. It stretches back all the way to gate C7, by far the furthest i have seen it yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.