Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mess in AMS today - April 2022 onwards

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2022, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Several news sites are quoting a number of passengers who claimed they spent between 5 and 6 1/2 hours waiting in various lines at Schiphol today.

Johan
Old May 23, 2022, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by Gulbra
Here is the state of the security line as we speak.

Do you also have to stand in these queues if you're Sky Priority?
Old May 23, 2022, 4:57 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by Escape
Do you also have to stand in these queues if you're Sky Priority?
Was flying DL out of AMS. Spent probably 1.5 hours in the Departures 2 Sky Priority line. There were folks in J who had spent 4.5 hours (originally DL Y) who missed their flight to MSP and were rebooked to BOS in DL J. I'm not sure 4.5 hours in line is worth it for that upgrade.
Old May 23, 2022, 5:06 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Absurd. God forbid Schiphol uses some of their cash reserves to pay people a better wage or hire some staff. I hate the penny pinching idiots that run things in the Netherlands.
Old May 23, 2022, 5:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Sjoerd
Report on Luchtvaartnieuws (in Dutch) that KMar officers had to restore order at the security checkpoint on Sunday evening. Passengers had waited in line for hours when they saw that several security checkpoints were going to be closed. They were afraid to miss their flights and became aggressive - “things totally got out of control” according to a witness, and passengers tried to bypass the security checkpoint.
There was a long article in Het Parool about this incident yesterday. The best bit was when the Marchausee were asked to comment on the possibility that some passengers had stormed through security without being screened. Apparently in that situation the whole departures area becomes a pre-security area and all those who have already gone through security have to be re-screened. Imagine spending 5 hours for security... only to then be asked to do it again

Absolute shambles of an airport.
Old May 23, 2022, 9:28 pm

I'm glad I found this thread. We've got a flight out of Schiphol to Detroit on August 21st (Sunday), departing at 12:50 (so, ostensibly right in the middle of the busiest time). Currently planning to stay at the Sheraton next to the terminal. If the situation isn't resolved by then, is it worth perhaps paying extra to stay at Yotelair instead? Assume security won't be such a mess in the evening due to fewer flights leaving... And would upgrading to Premium Select (so, SkyPriority) give us any advantages in skipping the security lines?
Old May 23, 2022, 10:55 pm

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
With the prospect of having to wait 3-5 hours in line, wouldn’t some people resort to hopping on the high speed rail to Brussels and fly from there? It‘s a two hour trip on the train, and then an airport which I haven‘t heard of being as badly congested as AMS. An option?
Old May 23, 2022, 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by highlanderfil
I'm glad I found this thread. We've got a flight out of Schiphol to Detroit on August 21st (Sunday), departing at 12:50 (so, ostensibly right in the middle of the busiest time). Currently planning to stay at the Sheraton next to the terminal. If the situation isn't resolved by then, is it worth perhaps paying extra to stay at Yotelair instead? Assume security won't be such a mess in the evening due to fewer flights leaving... And would upgrading to Premium Select (so, SkyPriority) give us any advantages in skipping the security lines?
Hard to tell now, Sunday 21/08 will be the last day of school holidays for part of NL so the risk of having a very busy Schiphol is real. I'm not sure you'd be able to go airside with a BP for the following day. With a 12:50 departure I'd probably just wake up early and get in line before 7, then kill time airside.
Old May 23, 2022, 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by San Gottardo
With the prospect of having to wait 3-5 hours in line, wouldn’t some people resort to hopping on the high speed rail to Brussels and fly from there? It‘s a two hour trip on the train, and then an airport which I haven‘t heard of being as badly congested as AMS. An option?
Solo traveler without luggage? Maybe.

Family of four with 3 suitcases and 2 kids under 5? They probably better stay home, the additional aggravation and expense is not worth it.
Old May 24, 2022, 12:15 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Ultimate, LATAM Black, ALL Platinum, Hertz Platinum
Live from the battlefield 08:00. Not the same massive line yet.

Security with sky priority took exactly 10 minutes.
Old May 24, 2022, 1:17 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

I've thrown away my DXB-AMS-MAN KLM flight and paid for direct DXB-MAN on EK. The thought of an overnight flight to AMS, and then chaos when I get there filled me with dread!
Old May 24, 2022, 1:22 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
I've thrown away my DXB-AMS-MAN KLM flight and paid for direct DXB-MAN on EK. The thought of an overnight flight to AMS, and then chaos when I get there filled me with dread!
A wise decision!

That is the advise to most travellers the coming months,

When possible avoid AMS
Old May 24, 2022, 1:32 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Thanks for all the updates everyone!

What i can't understand is:

Schiphol asks passengers to arrive 5/4 hours in advance.

Normally airline checkin counters open 3H before scheduled departure time

For obvious reasons of maximum amount of luggage processing / storage
if you need to checkin luggage at the counter/bagdrop you can only do so 3H before departures.

Meaning you have to be insitu before the counters open, stand in front of the line, checking in, then rush to security/passport control and hope for the best....

They should have counters available for all airlines same day early checkin / bag drop at terminal opening time or something.....
Ground staff is outsourced anyway and of generic stock so they could easily handle the task of automated bagdrop.

But then again KL & HV counters are open all day for all flights yet they can't cope with the volume so whom am i kidding....
Old May 24, 2022, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm heading for the airport in the next 20 minutes or so. Will try to provide updates.

Johan
Old May 24, 2022, 1:58 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Originally Posted by johan rebel
I'm heading for the airport in the next 20 minutes or so. Will try to provide updates.

Johan
You like to live dangerously! Good luck today and thanks for taking one for the team!
PS: by any chance you have to Q (even with privium), this makes an amusing read to while away the time: https://www.beschermingtegenvliegtuighinder.nl under Artikelen
My favorite is still: https://vliegherrie.nl/meldingen

PS2: see if you spot Benschop? He might be still in a Q to fly to Davos *ahum*

Last edited by HadesNL; May 24, 2022 at 2:05 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.