Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mess in AMS today - April 2022 onwards

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2022, 10:47 am

Programs: Flying Blue silver
Originally Posted by TGW5
I have a Schengen flight on KLM cityhopper tomorrow at 17:00, how early should I get to Schiphol? I was planning on two hours in advance (which is still early by my standards; normally I aim for around 1.5h), so at 15:00, but seeing Gulbra's post has scared me somewhat--that looks like even 2h wouldn't be enough. Or is the situation at departures 1 not as bad as departures 2-3?
Do you have sky priority? Because if you don't, the security lines are very long and 2 hours are not enough. This afternoon it was terrible at terminal 1: it was already difficult enough to reach the check-in desks. Then the line for security went winding through the beginning of terminal 1A, then outside, then inside again, there was an enormous line. Just be smart and be there about 3-4 hours before departure, no kidding. You should have seen the line in terminal 2 for the KLM ticketoffice. I assume all pax who had missed their flight and were to be rebooked....
Old May 23, 2022, 10:47 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, BA Silver
Originally Posted by AnaTFN
Today I got my Privium membership, and the staff confirmed that (a) they have had a wave of new membership requests since April, and (b) that sky priority is not always open but a hit or miss depending on the day. I've had some hit days and some miss days...
The airside (departures) Privium ClubLounge only had 2 people + me.
How does Schiphol get away without a (sky) priority line? It did happen to me a couple of weeks ago.. SP line closed and unmanned.
So much for the Skyteam Elite Plus benefit “Priority at immigration and security”…
Old May 23, 2022, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by tourguide
Do you have sky priority? Because if you don't, the security lines are very long and 2 hours are not enough. This afternoon it was terrible at terminal 1: it was already difficult enough to reach the check-in desks. Then the line for security went winding through the beginning of terminal 1A, then outside, then inside again, there was an enormous line. Just be smart and be there about 3-4 hours before departure, no kidding. You should have seen the line in terminal 2 for the KLM ticketoffice. I assume all pax who had missed their flight and were to be rebooked....
Thanks for the reply, no priority of any sort unfortunately. KLM is offering free rebooking for tickets for the 23rd and 24th of May; does anyone know if there is any reason to believe the situation will be better on Wednesday? If there is it would be tempting to take them up on their offer.
Old May 23, 2022, 11:14 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Ultimate, LATAM Black, ALL Platinum, Hertz Platinum
Old May 23, 2022, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by TGW5
Thanks for the reply, no priority of any sort unfortunately. KLM is offering free rebooking for tickets for the 23rd and 24th of May; does anyone know if there is any reason to believe the situation will be better on Wednesday? If there is it would be tempting to take them up on their offer.
I can't imagine it will get better - Thursday is a public holiday (Hemelvaart aka Ascension Day) which lots of people take as a 4 day weekend. Expect lots of leisure travel.
Old May 23, 2022, 11:22 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Ultimate, LATAM Black, ALL Platinum, Hertz Platinum
The line is now gone.
Old May 23, 2022, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by Gulbra
Due to Covid the poorly paid security staff,bagage loaders etc were made redundant or at least many of them.
No surprise really that Schiphol isn't finding any-one interested in these underpaid jobs now that air travel is on the up again.
The Schiphol Group got what they deserved for i'm afraid.
Old May 23, 2022, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by Gulbra
The line is now gone.
yep the lines are there 10.00 till 1600.
Underpaid and badly treated staff.
This is the result.
Old May 23, 2022, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Originally Posted by mfkne
Mother of god. They should just shut the place down.
This is a national disgrace.
Old May 23, 2022, 1:35 pm

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
Report on Luchtvaartnieuws (in Dutch) that KMar officers had to restore order at the security checkpoint on Sunday evening. Passengers had waited in line for hours when they saw that several security checkpoints were going to be closed. They were afraid to miss their flights and became aggressive - “things totally got out of control” according to a witness, and passengers tried to bypass the security checkpoint.
Old May 23, 2022, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by Sjoerd
Report on Luchtvaartnieuws (in Dutch) that KMar officers had to restore order at the security checkpoint on Sunday evening. Passengers had waited in line for hours when they saw that several security checkpoints were going to be closed. They were afraid to miss their flights and became aggressive - “things totally got out of control” according to a witness, and passengers tried to bypass the security checkpoint.

yes I read that too. Schiphol needs to cut down capacity. This current situation is very likely to get totally out of hand. It only takes one person to deregulate the whole airport even more. Schiphol is handling more passengers and flights they are able to in a secure way. They need to prioritize the safety of the employees as well as the other passengers.
They will have to cut flights immediately and move them to RTM or EIN, even BRU or DUS if necessary.
There is no other option the coming few months.
Old May 23, 2022, 2:32 pm

I’m just looking at the situation on Flightradar24 and there are some really terrible situations going on like this Vueling flight that is delayed from 21:45 to 01:26. That is inhumane. How is it possible with all the noise regulations in AMS that this plane is able to take off on that hour and how about the crew and their maximum working hours?
Something is really wrong at AMS.
Old May 23, 2022, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by terrier
I can't imagine it will get better - Thursday is a public holiday (Hemelvaart aka Ascension Day) which lots of people take as a 4 day weekend. Expect lots of leisure travel.
Yeah thats what I thought unfortunately. Thanks!
Old May 23, 2022, 3:32 pm
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by BobTL
I’m just looking at the situation on Flightradar24 and there are some really terrible situations going on like this Vueling flight that is delayed from 21:45 to 01:26. That is inhumane. How is it possible with all the noise regulations in AMS that this plane is able to take off on that hour and how about the crew and their maximum working hours?
Something is really wrong at AMS.
That aircraft is been going back and forth between AMS and FCO all day (probably with different crew). Every time at AMS picking up more delay. Inconvenient..yes. But inhumane? It's one of the things to expect when you book a LCC that has zero padding in their schedule to allow for delays. The last flight of the day is always worst off.
Old May 23, 2022, 3:36 pm

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
Originally Posted by Xandrios
It's one of the things to expect when you book a LCC that has zero padding in their schedule to allow for delays. The last flight of the day is always worst off.
KLM flights are also all severely delayed tonight. It seems (from anecdotal evidence) that Easyjet has performed better during this mess @ Schiphol than KLM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.