Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mess in AMS today - April 2022 onwards

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2022, 1:30 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by johan rebel
If the past few weeks are any indication, KL1129 gets canceled twice or thrice a week, and the remaining flights are mostly delayed. About six KL1133 flights get canceled every week too, and the remaining one is often badly late. The other flights are rarely canceled, but only KL1125 is reliably on time these days.

Johan
Thanks for the feedback. I am on KL1127 and FlightAware seems to be showing that it's also somewhat reliable (maybe late a few times), but no cancellations.
Looks like the earlier the flight on AMS-CPH, the better.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 2:07 pm

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
Originally Posted by Sjoerd
Useless signs at Schiphol
(I just received it from a friend who expects to miss his flight after queueing for 2.5 hours (so far))

My (non-status) friends were in the line for KLM bag drop at 9AM for their 2:15PM flight to BCN, queued ~4 hours for security and just missed their flight, queued another ~2 hours at the KLM transfer desk to be re-booked, to be told “no other flight available today, go home” and your bags will be delivered within 4 days.

Avoid AMS at all costs this summer.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 2:08 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by HadesNL
Sorry if this has been posted before:

7 June 2022 published:
https://www.schiphol.nl/en/page/left-side-security-check-closed/
https://www.schiphol.nl/nl/pagina/linker-gedeelte-security-dicht/

Seems refurbs in T1 cause a jumble in possibilities:"

from the source:
quote:
For instance, renovation work is being carried out at the border passage for arrivals, and the left-hand side of the security check area in Departures Hall 1 (including the Privium gate) is currently closed

Which Privium gates can you use?

Where did you find it was published 7 June 22? This is the article for the closure of Departures 1 check for when it was moved upstairs, this is pre-pandemic.

Originally Posted by HadesNL
Just in:

Unannounced strike by cleaning staff!

* add this to the improbability factor of Benschot remaining firmly seated at his Schiphol throne....
I expect Benschot to remain firmly at the throne as long as Lelystad is given a go-ahead.

I can not figure out another reason why the Schiphol management is carrying on in the way they are than to put pressure on the government to approve operations at Lelystad in opposition to enviro/NIMBY groups. Lelystad is owned by Schiphol Group; they have eminent interest in being able to open LEY for commercial traffic to enable future growth in both Schiphol itself and the Group.

Originally Posted by atflyer
Another data point: arriving from the UK from LCY this morning (Monday 20 June ) after a horrible experience in Heathrow T3 where a late arrival of DL3 and the need to go through security there again made me and at least a dozen others made me miss my connection to AMS. Bus drop at D. Immigration from D again seems to be open, but they were stopping people before the escalators in some square area indicated with liners - I had the impression at least 50-75 people waiting there. I quickly looked at the non-Schengen-Schengen immigration and long queues there too. I then recalled there is another way out near the E-gates, there you could go directly down to the passport control area, and that looked as on the picture below. They had the electronic passport check boots closed 'since the duty officer has to have lunch too' as the one poor support person managing the crowd explained (it was 11.30 at that moment). The line for EU passports took me 20-30 minutes. I estimate the line for non-EU double that time. Due to 1-2 very irritated persons not a nice atmosphere too. Luckily the KMAR checking my pass was in good spirits.
I will never understand why they ever close the lines.

Clearly, if they spared one officer from one of the EU booths to supervise the gates, the gates could process much more pax than he could in the booth - increasing the total throughput a lot.

Is it some kind of a seniority issue? Only select officers are allowed to supervise the e-gates and there is a shortage of them? Or what? I don't get it.

Originally Posted by mediator
Are arriving flights affected by the long wait? Will arrive on TP from LIS early afternoon, no checked bag.
Not from Schengen. NS flights are affected by long lines at immigration.
mediator and mpkz like this.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 2:15 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
[QUOTE=Fabo.sk;34353346]
Where did you find it was published 7 June 22? This is the article for the closure of Departures 1 check for when it was moved upstairs, this is pre-pandemic. QUOTE]

You were right,
I got the date from the Schiphol warning banner above the news release.
Already amended my post, thanks for noticing!
Old Jun 20, 2022, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wooootles
I am on KL1127
Yes, that flight rarely gets canceled, and a delay might even be to your advantage, giving you more time for your transfer.

Johan
wooootles likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 3:03 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by johan rebel
Yes, that flight rarely gets canceled, and a delay might even be to your advantage, giving you more time for your transfer.

Johan
Then I will just have to worry about the DTW-AMS part, which has had some delays (AMS/KLM does not have a monopoly on epic meltdowns).
Old Jun 20, 2022, 3:05 pm

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
Originally Posted by FlyingFrZ
So even staying airside, going from NS-S was over 2hrs?
No, I said when I passed I estimated it at < 2 hours. But as you will note in this thread, at any moment anything can happen. A breeze passing things in 10 minutes, or 4 hours of queueing, missing your flight, queueing at customer support and being told there is no place anymore anywhere the same day. Hit or miss. I just have to pray the 2 flights I still must do on Sunday and Tuesday in the late afternoon next week will not be a mess.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 3:14 pm

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
Originally Posted by Fabo.sk

I will never understand why they ever close the lines.

Clearly, if they spared one officer from one of the EU booths to supervise the gates, the gates could process much more pax than he could in the booth - increasing the total throughput a lot.

Is it some kind of a seniority issue? Only select officers are allowed to supervise the e-gates and there is a shortage of them? Or what? I don't get it.
Me neither. The only explanation I can give that when I passed, there was 1 officer for the EU line and 2 or 3 for the non-EU. Obviously, the EU officer could not move to the automatic gates since there are always souls that need manual inspection. Moving one from the non-EU boots would slow down the already much longer non EU line even more. But still. Can't you plan lunches without closing automated gates? Surreal. THe problem is in part also efficient control. An immigration officer looking for 2 second to a passport or taking much longer. LCY this morning was extremely crowded, but the security so efficient, so despite the horrible queues in 30 minutes through. Low times per pax, low numbers of secondary. So much better as LHR the day before or what I see at AMS where belts regularly are stopped since secondary is clogged, or so.....
Old Jun 20, 2022, 3:18 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Except that Non-EU line is really the All Passports line, so overall capacity will still be higher... the question then stands how was the waiting time for EU line vs All passports line... if EU line was still considerably shorter despite having 1/3 capacity of All passports... then I suppose it made some sense.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 8:13 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by atflyer
No, I said when I passed I estimated it at < 2 hours. But as you will note in this thread, at any moment anything can happen. A breeze passing things in 10 minutes, or 4 hours of queueing, missing your flight, queueing at customer support and being told there is no place anymore anywhere the same day. Hit or miss. I just have to pray the 2 flights I still must do on Sunday and Tuesday in the late afternoon next week will not be a mess.
Wow that's crazy. Even going hand luggage only and staying airside I might not make my second flight with on time arrival and two hour connection
Old Jun 21, 2022, 1:19 am

Parents in law landed on SQ324 this morning at 7:40. Managed to get through KMar around 8:15, they are now waiting for an hour at baggage claim. They have been advised the wait will be another two hours, as there is only one trolley driver available so flights are offloaded FIFO.
mpkz likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 1:22 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
At this point I would just leave baggage claim and go about my business and report missing luggage so they can deliver it later.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 1:24 am

Programs: FB
The queue from non Schengen to Schengen currently stretches to the E pier. Looks v. slow. The stairs down to passport control at the end of both D and E piers are also closed, not many people queuing yet....

Last edited by jambochris; Jun 21, 2022 at 1:49 am
Old Jun 21, 2022, 1:27 am

Programs: FB Plat (Y3), All Accor Gold (Y2)
I'm flying one more time through AMS against knowing better, but the ticket was just a lot cheaper (and timing better) with an AMS layover rather than non-stop from CPH on SAS (and I refuse to fly Vueling).

It's schengen->schengen, but with a 40 minute layover. So I'm betting on my CPH->AMS flight not being delayed, and if it is, the outbound flight to BCN also being delayed, as it's going to be a B -> C/D transit so quite the walk, unless it being a bus gate, then it's OK-ish.

But this is definitely the last time I go through AMS until after summer. You'd have to pay me to go through it again.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 1:43 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by jambochris
The queue from Schengen to non Schengen currently stretches to the E pier. Looks v. slow. The stairs down to passport control at the end of both D and E piers are also closed, not many people queuing yet....
The E pier is in non-Schengen, so I presume you mean the opposite direction?

I'm flying out on U2 [non-Schengen] on Thursday at 7, arriving by train. I have Privium so should be alright - I assume there is some crowd management from the main hall up to departures and that I will be able to show my card to avoid any queues?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.