Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mess in AMS today - April 2022 onwards

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2022, 1:39 am

Programs: hyatt globalist
I apologize in advance for my ignorance.. first time flying in 2 years.
I'm flying out of AMS to SFO on united with a carry on only. Do I need to check in at the United counter and then join the security line? (If I check in online, can I skip the united check in desk And go straight to security?)
The lines that are sometimes out the door- which line is that for? And as a first time flyer out of the airport, how would I know which line to stand in??
​​​​​
Old May 15, 2022, 3:34 am

I thought the SP check in was arranged per flight, then you wouldn't have such a long line..?? we fly to CUR on wednesday so go see it.
Old May 15, 2022, 6:39 am

Programs: FB Plat
Originally Posted by jlee132132
I apologize in advance for my ignorance.. first time flying in 2 years.
I'm flying out of AMS to SFO on united with a carry on only. Do I need to check in at the United counter and then join the security line? (If I check in online, can I skip the united check in desk And go straight to security?)
The lines that are sometimes out the door- which line is that for? And as a first time flyer out of the airport, how would I know which line to stand in??
​​​​​
To fly to the States they will likely ask you to check in at the airport because they need to confirm your COVID test, at least this was true until a few days ago. From there they will direct you to the line for security. The lines that you see in pictures going around the terminal are not lines that you can just join, they start somewhere inside and are routed outside and back in, but monitored so that people only join the line where it starts. Airport staff can guide you once there, but again, you likely need to show your test at a desk before and then they can guide you.
Old May 15, 2022, 3:35 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Arrived from Brussels with Thalys to AMS today around 2pm. Took me about 1 hour to clear security and immigration. Complete clusterf**k . I was told to go one way for SP, which turned out to be only a regular line for all passengers. Ended up queueing for about 45 min until I reached security. Passport control was done through autmated gates and was rather fast compared to the previous line. Our flight was delayed about 1 hour to wait for PAX (we ended up leaving with about 20% of checked in pax not onboard (SV flight)).
Old May 16, 2022, 11:37 am

Programs: FB Plat
Originally Posted by offvoice
I was told to go one way for SP, which turned out to be only a regular line for all passengers. Ended up queueing for about 45 min until I reached security.
this happened to me and others some weeks ago, they are directing SP passengers to the general line…
Old May 16, 2022, 2:21 pm

I explicitly selected the last flight from LCY to AMS yesterday to minimise the chance of being impacted by the situation at Schiphol.

Arrived yesterday evening at around 22:30 from LCY, after deboarding we had to wait about 20 min airside because there were not enough officers at passport control, so they only allowed pax to pass through in groups of 10 to go down to passport control….due to tail winds we arrived about 20 min ahead of schedule, unfortunately we lost these gains due to something that could have been foreseen.

I would suspect that Schiphol can estimate the number of pax arriving, factor in changes for changing arrival times etc and align this with staff, apparently this is more complicated than it seems…

I would assume that the automatic gates would be ideal for these kind of situations right? Unfortunately they were not operational.

One passenger waived his Privium pass in the air and was let through
Old May 16, 2022, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by AnaTFN
To fly to the States they will likely ask you to check in at the airport because they need to confirm your COVID test, at least this was true until a few days ago. From there they will direct you to the line for security. The lines that you see in pictures going around the terminal are not lines that you can just join, they start somewhere inside and are routed outside and back in, but monitored so that people only join the line where it starts. Airport staff can guide you once there, but again, you likely need to show your test at a desk before and then they can guide you.
I flew KLM from AMS to SFO two weeks ago - was able to upload test info and was able to get advance boarding pass. System also insisted that I upload vaccination info even though not required for US citizens flying to US.
Old May 17, 2022, 1:36 am

Programs: FB Plat (Y3), All Accor Gold (Y2)
This is the Lounge 2 to Lounge 1 kmar filter this morning. Queue all the way until the entrance of the Privium lounge non-schengen

Old May 17, 2022, 1:44 am

Originally Posted by b12e
This is the Lounge 2 to Lounge 1 kmar filter this morning. Queue all the way until the entrance of the Privium lounge non-schengen

to the crown lounge???
Old May 17, 2022, 1:46 am

Programs: FB Plat (Y3), All Accor Gold (Y2)
Originally Posted by Pau3590
to the crown lounge???
almost until the KLM lounge 52, yes. Just at the start of the holland boulevard 😊

Old May 17, 2022, 2:21 am

almost until the KLM lounge 52, yes. Just at the start of the holland boulevard 😊

i Will check in tomorrow at 5.15 .. i hope it Will be not so busy
Old May 17, 2022, 3:07 am

Originally Posted by Escape
I explicitly selected the last flight from LCY to AMS yesterday to minimise the chance of being impacted by the situation at Schiphol.

Arrived yesterday evening at around 22:30 from LCY, after deboarding we had to wait about 20 min airside because there were not enough officers at passport control, so they only allowed pax to pass through in groups of 10 to go down to passport control….due to tail winds we arrived about 20 min ahead of schedule, unfortunately we lost these gains due to something that could have been foreseen.

I would suspect that Schiphol can estimate the number of pax arriving, factor in changes for changing arrival times etc and align this with staff, apparently this is more complicated than it seems…

I would assume that the automatic gates would be ideal for these kind of situations right? Unfortunately they were not operational.

Unacceptable!There are only a handful of UK flights arriving at that time.Even whilst short on staff one would expect Schiphol and KMAR to do better than this.

E
Old May 17, 2022, 3:08 am

Originally Posted by Escape

Unacceptable!There are only a handful of UK flights arriving at that time.Even whilst short on staff one would expect Schiphol and KMAR to do better than this.
Old May 17, 2022, 7:16 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA PE, HH Gold

This is crazy... connecting through AMS for over 20 years but that is a new low ( or record? ). And i'm one who tells everybody "if you have to connect within europe use AMS". This line makes CDG looks like an customer friendly airport.
Old May 17, 2022, 8:13 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Originally Posted by BER Flyer
This is crazy... connecting through AMS for over 20 years but that is a new low ( or record? ). And i'm one who tells everybody "if you have to connect within europe use AMS". This line makes CDG looks like an customer friendly airport.
My thoughts as well.

Now I'm a bit in pickle. I booked a Thalys that departs 1 hour exactly after I land from JED (International). I was thinking that it was plenty of time until I saw what the outbound looked like last sunday.

I told myself I could do the transit to the EU area and leave the airport from there. But the pictures above (if I read them properly) tend to say it's as much an issue. Any reco? Should I leave directly upon landing or is it a mess as well and it's better to postpone the train segment?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.