Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mess in AMS today - up to March 2022

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2019, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Well I'm sure not against direct flights, but I am making every effort to keep that Platinum card for the following year and 20XP for European round trips is pretty good. Just hoping it will work out. I will be in AMS on Friday morning (the route is GVA-AMS-LHR).
Old Jan 28, 2019, 3:22 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by Concerto
Well I'm sure not against direct flights, but I am making every effort to keep that Platinum card for the following year and 20XP for European round trips is pretty good. Just hoping it will work out. I will be in AMS on Friday morning (the route is GVA-AMS-LHR).
I found myself extremely short of XP after chasing *A status last year, so I splurged on a business class flight via CDG. 60XP better than 10XP at about 3 times the price. Still I don't need to actually go and fly the itinerary I'd be happy enough on the direct flight if push came to shove.
Anyway a shame we'll miss. Maybe next time.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes maybe next time. I will be there from 08h30 to 11h30 roughly on Friday, hoping those snowflakes behave themselves. For picking up a few XP, I booked BRU-FCO-VLC and back on AZ for €311 for the following week, which should yield 60XP. But that is OT for this thread, belongs in the mileage runs thread!

Concerning potential snow mess, it is snowing right now here in Montreux which is quite unusual. I don't see any issues at GVA airport looking at their website, flights seem to have been landing and taking off more or less on time. We'll see what happens in the morning, and how things are going in Amsterdam.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 9:19 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Snowflakes predicted for tomorrow, NS already in breakdown mode.

Seeing as I spend 3 hours travelling yesterday, of that almost 1 hour in Utrecht CS as train after train was cancelled, then 30 minutes extra over normal time in a re-route train, I'm super happy about leaving myself in their hands again tomorrow. Might just stay home this time.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

KL has already canceled 20 flights Wednesday morning. According to Luchtvaartnieuws.nl wordt in de ochtenduren behoorlijk wat sneeuw verwacht.

Yep, the Dutch met office is predicting 1-3 cm! .

That will no doubt be sufficient to cause complete deicing chaos again.

Johan
Old Jan 29, 2019, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh dear, hope it more or less clears up by Friday .The Swiss Riviera is quite messy just now, with the A12 Vevey to Fribourg highway closed. Trains running ok and no extra snow in canton Valais, apparently.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They are curently forecasting a rainy Friday, with temperatures well above freezing.

Johan
Old Jan 30, 2019, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, guess what? No snow at all at Schiphol this morning. Visibility is good, there's no wind, and the temperature is above freezing. Delay status "low and decreasing" (1.75 on a 5-point scale).

One again KLM went into a pointless manic panic for no reason, and they must be the only ones still expecting problems:

"Due to the expected snowy weather in Amsterdam on Wednesday 30 January 2019, some of our flights to, from or via Amsterdam Airport Schiphol may be disrupted. We are doing our very best to help you on your way again."

Johan
Old Jan 31, 2019, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

According to luchtvaartnieuws.nl (in Dutch) one of those EU 261 claim agencies says that 3,500 pax who were affected by Wednesday's unnecessary cancelations are due compensation, adding that KL's tendency to cancel lots of flights just because of the chance of adverse weather has become a bad habit.

Let's see what happens tomorrow, snow is again predicted in the morning.

Johan

Last edited by johan rebel; Jan 31, 2019 at 6:38 am
Old Jan 31, 2019, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe that will galvanize them into action tomorrow, and they will keep their operations running as smoothly as possible. There's been another dump of snow in Switzerland, although I think GVA airport is ok. We'll see how it progresses.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is certainly a mess this afternoon, I bet KL now regrets not canceling a zillion flights.

This morning almost half of KL's departing flights were late, so far this afternoon about three-quarters are, in many cases by over an hour.

Edited to add: just under half KL departures delayed this evening.

The few cancelations include two flights to ATL, presumably due to lack of aircraft.

No fewer than four runways in use, but NOAA describes the current conditions as "freezing fog", so it probably woz that professional deicing wot done it.

Again!

Johan

Last edited by johan rebel; Jan 31, 2019 at 3:13 pm
Old Jan 31, 2019, 11:42 pm

About 2cm of snow this morning! Prepare for the worst!
Old Feb 1, 2019, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It really is going well. I was on the early flight from GVA, where the plane must have overnighted. We landed early and it all looks good for the onward flight. And I must say, I find the new Crown Lounge rather good.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Concerto
It really is going well. I was on the early flight from GVA, where the plane must have overnighted. We landed early and it all looks good for the onward flight.
Congratulations.

Half the KL departures left late this morning. This afternoon they done a bit better. So far! They've canceled some more longhauls, ATL and IAD this time.

Edited to add: half of this evening's KL departures delayed as well, up to 2½ hours. Still a mess!

Three runways in use, so that's not the problem. Not a snowflake to be seen on the webcam, but the temperature has been around 0°C all day, with freezing fog. No doubt the deicing again.

Johan

Last edited by johan rebel; Feb 1, 2019 at 3:32 pm
Old Feb 1, 2019, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It really went incredibly well today. For the London flight, we left just about 15 minutes late and arrived pretty well on time. In addition, I got an operational upgrade on this flight. Although a short flight, I thought the Europe Business Class service was excellent.

Central London, on the other hand, has horrible weather with wind and a lot of sleet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.