Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mess in AMS today - up to March 2022

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2019, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by johan rebel
So which is it? Airlines decided whether to cancel based on their own expectations, or somebody tells them they have to?
Why does it have to be either? There may be mandatory cancellations as well as voluntary cancellations by the airline, the latter of which could be for a variety of reasons.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NickB
Why does it have to be either?
Doesn't have to be, but the question remains: was KL compelled by other parties to cancel flights, or not?

In any case, the expected single runway use never happened. They used three until 11 a.m., then two, and were back to three shortly after 7 p.m. No sign of the heavy winds some expected this evening. On the contrary, the wind dropped to 10 m/s.

Were it not for the conspicuous absence of any storm, I would have described this as a storm in a teacup. I'll settle for much ado about nothing instead. Except for all those thousands of KL pax who had their flights canceled for nothing, of course.

Johan
Old Jan 14, 2019, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Really hoping things are back to normal by next Monday 21st January, as I have a transit through AMS then. In fact, I have several KLM itineraries upcoming.
LHKE likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Concerto
Really hoping things are back to normal by next Monday 21st January.
They were back to normal today, my flight even arrived at the gate four minutes early!

Now they just have to keep it up. With two days of mass cancelations last week, I wouldn't put my money on it.

Johan
Old Jan 14, 2019, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Must cause them to lose a heck of a lot of money, though. It's amazing how Russia and Finland cope, they just keep going and keep to schedule! But in fairness, they certainly get far more snow than the Netherlands.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 2:01 pm

But in fairness, they certainly get far more snow than the Netherlands.
What does snow have to do with this? The problem was the predicted gale force winds.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have no idea. Everyone and everywhere has been complaining about snow lately and too much of it, so I guess the lower lying windy countries got left out of the media. You're totally right, of course, the winds can be mean in the Netherlands. Just like in northern Scotland, where I originally come from.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

the winds can be mean in the Netherlands.
Except that they weren't very mean last Sunday, so lots of pax had their flights canceled for no good reason.

Johan
Old Jan 20, 2019, 2:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Really hoping things are back to normal by next Monday 21st January.
Forecast for tomorrow looks fine, but they are currently predicting up to 4 cm of snow on Tuesday.

That might well be enough to send KL into a mass cancelation panic, cause genuine disruption, or both.

Johan
Old Jan 20, 2019, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hopefully the mass cancellation panic won't kick in too early tomorrow! On Tuesday it looks like there will be a strike of security workers in German airport.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hopefully the mass cancellation panic won't kick in too early tomorrow!
They are now forecasting a cold night with almost no wind, conducive to the formation of fog patches by Monday morning. Keep your fingers crossed.

Johan
Old Jan 21, 2019, 3:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Amsterdam - Snowy Weather

Due to an expected snowy weather in Amsterdam on Tuesday 22 January 2019, some of our flights to, from or via Amsterdam may be disrupted. We are doing our very best to help you on your way again. Please keep checking this page regularly, we will inform you here as soon as we have news.

Johan
Old Jan 21, 2019, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So far it's going quite well, but there's a fair spread of delayed flights on the departure boards. My DUS-AMS was on time and so far the AMS-GVA is looking good, but ZRH and quite a few other destinations are delayed. Been in the Schengen Crown Lounge for a couple hours now.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So far it's going quite well, but there's a fair spread of delayed flights on the departure boards.
On a clear, sunny day with no precipitation and only a light breeze?

One would hope that the delays are due to problems elsewhere, then.

Johan
Old Jan 21, 2019, 11:43 am

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
The KLM website also gives a snowfall warning fir CDG.

I'm quite curious as I'm due to fly through CDG tomorrow on AF, while my mum needs to fly back to AMS on KL. Seems that the Dutch Railways (NS) have already activated all disaster protocols by halving schedules for tmrw due to the 2cm of predicted snowfall.

Of course, at -10 with much more snow and winds here at HEL both flights and trains run normally.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.