Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mess in AMS today - up to March 2022

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2017, 4:29 am

A few feeder flights from my local airports (Humberside and Leeds) cancelled today, hope they've got their act together before I fly tomorrow afternoon.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 4:42 am

Programs: KL Plat
Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
Yes it was cancelled due to crew reasons.
Apparently the situation is so bad KLM had to wet-lease Transavia 737's.
There was a Transavia covering KL1555/1556 to GOT on Friday. Should have been a Cityhopper E90, so this could have been due to the 2 preceding flights being cancelled and they put on a bigger bird to compensate a little. Funnily, that ended up 3 hours delayed, and so departed GOT just a few minutes before the schedule departure of the next KL out of GOT, KL1160.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 5:24 am

Programs: Many
Every 24 months or so it is the same mess, would it be in AMS, PAR or LON to name a few.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 6:02 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus
Original Poster

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
So I just arrived in ATH scheduled to fly kl1576 in 2 hrs from now.

Turns out the flight hasn’t left Amsterdam yet. The Schiphol website shows one hour delay for that flight, while by now it is one hour later than that. No updates whatsoever..they don’t even take the effort to update a rolling delay.

I’m surprised th flight isn’t canceled to be honest. How would that work (generally) by the way, with so many cancellations - will they perform extra flights? At this point about half the flights out of Ams are canceled and I don’t think they can rebookall those people onto alternative flights..
Old Dec 11, 2017, 6:12 am

If your final destination is AMS then you might be out of luck, however many PAX are connecting and can therefore be rerouted on other carriers, at the end of the day KLM are pretty flexible and some PAX will undoubtedly choose to travel on another date or cancel for a refund.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 6:20 am

Programs: FB LTPE, hhonors diamond, hertz 5*, Thalysthecard Platinium, A-club Silver, IHG Platinum
I was on KL871 AMS-DEL yesterday. We left with a four hour delay. This delay was largely induced by late luggage/cargo. We had to wait approx 30-45 minutes for that, made obvious by activity around the plane and cargo doors not closing, after that pushback was requested. We had to wait another 45-60 minutes before the slot was granted and we could make our way to the de-icing platform. By the time we got there, the wind changed direction, the airport closed for at least an hour and a half and once things got a little better another 45 minutes before de-icing was completed. All in all surviving 4-5 hours on an empty stomach nourished by 2 glasses of water, a juice and some nuts..

If KLM had made sure the luggage was on-time, we most likely would have been able to leave on time as other flights were leaving at least until an hour after schedule departure time. Do you guys think I have a case for claims??
Old Dec 11, 2017, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
The KLM website reports that your flight arrived with a delay of 3 hours and 34 minutes. As such, you arrived 26 minutes before the flight would even come into consideration for EC261/2004 delay compensation; however, given the weather delays yesterday, it is doubtful that that would even apply. [That the cargo/luggage was still being loaded hours past departure doesn't necessarily indicate that that was the reason for the delay; it could just be that they decided to load up delayed transfer baggage and/or cargo in the knowledge that the plane wouldn't be pushing back for a considerable delay after the scheduled time of departure]

By all means, lodge a complaint if you wish, but temper your expectations. You are one of the lucky few to get where you wanted to be yesterday. Things have deteriorated a lot at AMS since you left....it's coming down thick and fast now.
Attached Images  
Old Dec 11, 2017, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by COFF-Platinum
If KLM had made sure the luggage was on-time, we most likely would have been able to leave on time as other flights were leaving at least until an hour after schedule departure time. Do you guys think I have a case for claims??
That doesn't have to be true. With the weather there is a chance the slot was there before you even boarded the plane, as they are given out well ahead of time.
Maybe KLM just planned the loading staff so they would be done before the slot, but you would have been waiting for that slot regardless.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 7:11 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus
Original Poster

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Ditto
If your final destination is AMS then you might be out of luck, however many PAX are connecting and can therefore be rerouted on other carriers, at the end of the day KLM are pretty flexible and some PAX will undoubtedly choose to travel on another date or cancel for a refund.
Thats true, I didn’t think about the fact that about half of the pax are connecting and could be routed over hubs that do not have issues.

My flight has left the gate in Ams and is on the roll for de-icing. Looking at FR24 there are a bunch of aircraft ahead of it.

Im afraid that if they don’t take of very soon, it won’t be here in ATH on time for me to arrive back in Ams before the last train leaving. That is of course if the trains will be running tonight..

If not in ams Ams on time i’ll have to arrange a hotel for the night over there - which may be challenging with so many stranded pax.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 7:32 am

Programs: KLM Silver
Heavy snow on again now. Flew in this morning from Aberdeen, went quickly to F06 for the KL587 to Lagos. Been sitting onboard now for 2 1/4 hours waiting for de-icing. If they don’t hurry up we’ll be under a snowdrift!
Old Dec 11, 2017, 8:01 am

Programs: KLM Silver
Originally Posted by ABZMike
Heavy snow on again now. Flew in this morning from Aberdeen, went quickly to F06 for the KL587 to Lagos. Been sitting onboard now for 2 1/4 hours waiting for de-icing. If they don’t hurry up we’ll be under a snowdrift!
So apparently we will be at least another 45 mins, that will be 3 1/2 hours on the ground. What’s the limit before they give up?
Old Dec 11, 2017, 8:41 am

Programs: DL Million Miler
Got an e-mail Sunday night saying my Monday 5pm Birmingham-AMS would be cancelled, and I would be re-booked within 3 hours. Then I tweeted requesting specific flights for TUESDAY, realizing that I would have to spend the night. No response to the tweet.

Monday morning (today) still no rebooking on the KLM website, so I retweeted. This time a response: keep checking the KLM website to see what you are rebooked on. This afternoon still not rebooked. There is a rebooking feature on the website, but when I choose to rebook myself, it says no flights are available any days this week.

This afternoon (Monday) went to the Birmingham airport. Baggage drop lanes are open, and the agent there says there are no rebooking personnel available at the airport, and to get myself a hotel, and keep the receipts for reimbursement. At the hotel now (late Monday afternoon), twiddling my thumbs. Don't want to call and get put on hold till eternity on my $1.50/minute plan - - or is that the only way to get rebooked?
Old Dec 11, 2017, 8:43 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Right now all channels are very, very busy. It will be a long wait no matter what.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by SpinzCity
Got an e-mail Sunday night saying my Monday 5pm Birmingham-AMS would be cancelled, and I would be re-booked within 3 hours. Then I tweeted requesting specific flights for TUESDAY, realizing that I would have to spend the night. No response to the tweet.

Monday morning (today) still no rebooking on the KLM website, so I retweeted. This time a response: keep checking the KLM website to see what you are rebooked on. This afternoon still not rebooked. There is a rebooking feature on the website, but when I choose to rebook myself, it says no flights are available any days this week.

This afternoon (Monday) went to the Birmingham airport. Baggage drop lanes are open, and the agent there says there are no rebooking personnel available at the airport, and to get myself a hotel, and keep the receipts for reimbursement. At the hotel now (late Monday afternoon), twiddling my thumbs. Don't want to call and get put on hold till eternity on my $1.50/minute plan - - or is that the only way to get rebooked?
The KLM app should give you the option to rebook and it does work a treat. In my own case, they handled the whole thing incredibly well: SMS advising of the cancellation (~6 hours before the flight), a few options to rebook showing almost immediately on the app, e-mail with a new electronic ticket (Lufthansa, Warsaw to Birmingham via Munich), I called to refuse the latter, through in seconds and I’m currently in the K lounge at CDG awaiting the later flight to Birmingham (thank God I didn’t go for the via Schiphol’s option).

G
Old Dec 11, 2017, 9:43 am

Programs: DL Million Miler
Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
The KLM app should give you the option to rebook and it does work a treat.
G
Maybe because I have Extra Legroom seats or something, but online the only alternative flights I am offered BHX-HAM are next Sunday, the 17th! And nothing on any other carriers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.