Wiki Posts
Search

First new security filter operational at AMS

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2017, 7:08 pm
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by CyBeR
No line at non-schengen prio security just now (one guy waiting in front of me) but the self-service e-passport kiosks are inop due to expansion so passport control was a 20-minute wait.
Same experience for me today around 10AM. Security had a few minutes wait, passport control line looped around a few times and started pretty much at the far right (Priority) security checkpoint. I'd say it was indeed about a 20 minutes wait, which is quite annoying as this has been going on for weeks or perhaps even months now.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 12:05 am

Originally Posted by Xandrios
Same experience for me today around 10AM. Security had a few minutes wait, passport control line looped around a few times and started pretty much at the far right (Priority) security checkpoint. I'd say it was indeed about a 20 minutes wait, which is quite annoying as this has been going on for weeks or perhaps even months now.
Even for EU passports? Or did they not have a dedicated queue for EU passports?
I've seen a few times where the non-EU queue was like that, while the EU queue was empty, but after passing SP security you have no way of telling that so normally there are "helpers" redirecting EU passport holders to the EU queue.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
With the current setup it's pretty much a free-for-all, and I don't remember anyone policing EU passports vs non-EU ones.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by mfkne
With the current setup it's pretty much a free-for-all, and I don't remember anyone policing EU passports vs non-EU ones.
The KMARs usually send non-EU PAX back to the end of the queue if their sign say "EU passports"
Old Mar 23, 2017, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Which doesn't stop the queue at EU passports from being long, if the sendback only happens when it's non-EU passport holders' turn.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by Ditto
Even for EU passports? Or did they not have a dedicated queue for EU passports?
There is a dedicated EU passport queue but they run in parallel. At some point in the queue there's a guy separating people. The EU queue moves slightly (but not much) faster.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 6:15 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Hi,

Does anyone know why is it at certain times at this central security check that 90% of scanned bags will go into the secondary check lanes?
I noticed it's normally during the midday hours where lines are moderate, they this happens (not sure if I can use 3-4 times of such situation as statistics).
It's just so irritating. Had a long discussion with the Team Leader at that time at the Priority line (though this was happening for all lanes). As usual gave the usual story, it's the computer and it's for our safety, blah, blah, blah.
It seems also that the person sitting behind the screen (just knew this) does not determine which bags goes secondary, but some command center that determines this.

It's just so frustrating that my same bag with the same content at 90% of the airports around the world is OK and yet at AMS gets the secondary - and it's not because of the same object, but always a different reason (umbrella (travel version), keys, cables, etc - either one of these will be mentioned to be the root cause).

I am just curious to find out what's so special about the security at AMS which is a big PITA.

In addition, not sure why is again only at AMS, they they are so reluctant to use the automated passport gates when now recently at most EU airports where these gates are installed are nearly always available (the one's at CDG are a PITA to use as it takes close to 5 mins for the whole process while normally at German, UK and Italian airports, it's not more than 2 mins to get through).

Cheers!
Old Aug 30, 2017, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nldogbert
It seems also that the person sitting behind the screen (just knew this) does not determine which bags goes secondary, but some command center that determines this.
Highly unlikely, given that it is not unusual for one checkpoint to send just about every bag to secondary, while at the very same time bags at the adjacent one are all sailing right through. It's the operator what done it.

I know that Schiphol's official goal is that no more than 10% of bags should be scanned a second time.

It's just so frustrating that my same bag with the same content at 90% of the airports around the world is OK and yet at AMS gets the secondary - and it's not because of the same object, but always a different reason (umbrella (travel version), keys, cables, etc - either one of these will be mentioned to be the root cause).
Tell me about it. You are far from the only one to experience this at AMS, and AMS only, just about every single time. Frustrating indeed!

Johan
Old Aug 30, 2017, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by johan rebel
Highly unlikely, given that it is not unusual for one checkpoint to send just about every bag to secondary, while at the very same time bags at the adjacent one are all sailing right through. It's the operator what done it.
I can only share my experience, where at one time the agent usually looking at the screen was chatting to the agent doing secondary for about 2 minutes, and yet trays kept on flowing, some to secondary and some not.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

I have a 100% success rate of my last 5-10 trips ex AMS of my bag not going to secondary inspection, while before I had pretty much the opposite. I have achieved this by literally removing everything that is electric or electronic and placing it in bins.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can only share my experience, where at one time the agent usually looking at the screen was chatting to the agent doing secondary for about 2 minutes, and yet trays kept on flowing, some to secondary and some not.
Maybe the agent was trying to convey the impression that he was actually doing his job.

On more than one occasion have I watched my bag come to a stop just before the point where the conveyor splits. It then sat there while the agent stared at the screen for a while, before deciding which way to send it. No prize for guessing the most frequent outcome.

Johan
Old Aug 30, 2017, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by johan rebel
On more than one occasion have I watched my bag come to a stop just before the point where the conveyor splits. It then sat there while the agent stared at the screen for a while, before deciding which way to send it. No prize for guessing the most frequent outcome.
That is normally my experience as well, but it seems that this can operate even without anyone staring at the screen.
Also in that case, the trays sat in point before the split for a few seconds before a decision was made, how and by whom the decision was made I don't know...
Old Aug 31, 2017, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

a decision was made, how and by whom the decision was made I don't know.
Not sure which is worse: an incompetent agent or a useless algorithm. It seems as if Schiphol has opted for a combination of both, just to be on the safe side. Absolutely brilliant!

Johan
Old Aug 31, 2017, 2:25 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Originally Posted by mfkne
I have a 100% success rate of my last 5-10 trips ex AMS of my bag not going to secondary inspection, while before I had pretty much the opposite. I have achieved this by literally removing everything that is electric or electronic and placing it in bins.
Lucky you. I went through this phase once, convinced I had nailed it, and then I got into one of 'those queues' and once again just got everything sent to secondary. I don't bother anymore. It's not worth the hassle.

Schiphol is literally the worst airport for me security-wise.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by caliform
convinced I had nailed it.
Just about anything will get your bag sent to secondary.

Some keys, a few coins, a puny flashlight, you name it. Je kunt het zo gek niet bedenken, as the Dutch would say.

Johan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.