Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First new security filter operational at AMS

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2017, 2:06 pm

Programs: Marriott titanium, KL/AF FB Ulti
It only happens to me in Amsterdam.. I usually fly from Brussels airport (BRU) and have never ever had such a check over there..
Old Jan 16, 2017, 4:49 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Originally Posted by caliform
Calm morning at AMS today, managed to sail through without any secondaries or extra checks on my bags! Remarkable! I don't think that has ever happened to me.

Didn't even have to take all my chargers and cables out of my carry-on.
Aaaaargh why did I have to curse myself like this! When scanning BPs for Skypriority me and the guy sitting next to me were 'randomly' selected for a full security checks. Swabs of shoes, inside of shoes, jacket, inside of bag, hands... the works.

Next time I'll keep my mouth shut

For what it's worth arjen05, it is indeed an explosives residue test, not a drug test of any sort. They'd return positive a bit too often at AMS I am guessing...
Old Jan 17, 2017, 1:59 pm

Why would they even bother with a drugs test at airport security screening?
So you believed they were testing for drugs, and you were OK with it? People really will accept anything these days...

BTW, it's not only at AMS that they do these swabs. At BCN it's standard whenever you get the "random" beep at the metal detector.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 8:55 am

Programs: Marriott titanium, KL/AF FB Ulti
Originally Posted by Koby
So you believed they were testing for drugs, and you were OK with it? People really will accept anything these days...
I just thought it was a drugs scan - never thought about explosives. Would you suggest that if security check recognises a package of cocaine in your suitcase at their scanner, they'll wish you a pleasant flight and let you fly?
Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by arjen05
I just thought it was a drugs scan - never thought about explosives. Would you suggest that if security check recognises a package of cocaine in your suitcase at their scanner, they'll wish you a pleasant flight and let you fly?
yes strictly speaking cocaine is not a concern for airport security, it is for customs and/or the police.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
I'm just back from a long trip through various different airports in the US and Europe.

The only one where my carry-on was problematic was Schiphol. Two trays were taken for secondary, for reasons that were not clear.

Every where else, the same assortment of carry-on (I had a lot) was not a problem...

It is true that AMS has gone a bit mental with security screening
Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Koby
It seems like the natural place to do such a test, don't you think?

Unless you think they should send people in to the airport toilets to demand urine samples
Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:39 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Originally Posted by irishguy28
It seems like the natural place to do such a test, don't you think?

Unless you think they should send people in to the airport toilets to demand urine samples
No, drugs are the concern of customs and police, not airport security.

If you have contraband, whether it be drugs, alcohol (in some countries) monetary instruments, plants, seeds, etc. -- the customs authority in the receiving county concerns itself about this. Of course, if you flaunt illegal substances at airport security, they're likely to get the police. Let's say you show up with two bricks of cocaine and a live endangered parrot, yes, sure, they'll get you arrested.

Outside of that, it's just not what they are there to check for.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 2:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Privium News Flash

"The border passage at Departures 2 will be under construction until mid April. The Privium gate on the right side remains open but the entrance might be crowded. Please take this into account when preparing your trip."

Johan
Old Jan 30, 2017, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh boy, you just gotta love 'm.

A few weeks ago I went through Terminal 1 priority security with an ice cream maker (don't ask) in a backpack. Needless to see, the bag was sent to secondary, where it was x-rayed a second time. The machine was removed from the bag, all the bits and pieces inspected, and I was then asked to take apart the motor assembly. I could not and would not, so a supervisor was called. After swiping for explosives, and after some hesitation, I was allowed to keep the machine. Fortunately I had planned ahead and allowed an extra 15 minutes.

I'm obviously not capable of learning from experiece, so this afternoon I took an identical ice cream maker (again, don't ask) through Terminal 1 security, in the very same backpack. This time it sailed right through, without even going to secondary. Go figure!

Schiphol security gets full marks for logic and consistency, that's for sure.

Johan
Old Jan 30, 2017, 4:00 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

You must have been in a particularly masochistic mood to bring an ice cream making machine through Schiphol's security, Johan.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 4:40 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by johan rebel

A few weeks ago I went through Terminal 1 priority security with an ice cream maker (don't ask) in a backpack. Needless to see, the bag was sent to secondary, where it was x-rayed a second time. The machine was removed from the bag, all the bits and pieces inspected, and I was then asked to take apart the motor assembly. I could not and would not, so a supervisor was called. After swiping for explosives, and after some hesitation, I was allowed to keep the machine. Fortunately I had planned ahead and allowed an extra 15 minutes.

I'm obviously not capable of learning from experiece, so this afternoon I took an identical ice cream maker (again, don't ask) through Terminal 1 security, in the very same backpack. This time it sailed right through, without even going to secondary. Go figure!

Johan
We should probably start a wiki of crazy things we managed to get through security
Old Jan 31, 2017, 7:03 am

Programs: FB Platinum PA; IHG Diamond Ambassador

Johan
Thanks to your action, I suppose ice cream makers are now on the "No need to inspect" list. And on Schiphol you are now known as the ice cream maker man.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 7:09 am

I'm guessing it all has to do with how trained/experienced the agents on shift are.

I'm having this inconsistency all the time, I carry the same back pack with the same items, packed in the exact same way, it sails through all other airports with no issues, and in Schiphol it goes from sailing right though (happened once, I was shocked!) to where they take apart everything, checking my electric toothbrush, spare battery pack, sun glasses, etc. etc.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 5:15 am

No line at non-schengen prio security just now (one guy waiting in front of me) but the self-service e-passport kiosks are inop due to expansion so passport control was a 20-minute wait.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.