FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - First new security filter operational at AMS
Old Aug 30, 2017, 6:15 am
nldogbert

Hi,

Does anyone know why is it at certain times at this central security check that 90% of scanned bags will go into the secondary check lanes?
I noticed it's normally during the midday hours where lines are moderate, they this happens (not sure if I can use 3-4 times of such situation as statistics).
It's just so irritating. Had a long discussion with the Team Leader at that time at the Priority line (though this was happening for all lanes). As usual gave the usual story, it's the computer and it's for our safety, blah, blah, blah.
It seems also that the person sitting behind the screen (just knew this) does not determine which bags goes secondary, but some command center that determines this.

It's just so frustrating that my same bag with the same content at 90% of the airports around the world is OK and yet at AMS gets the secondary - and it's not because of the same object, but always a different reason (umbrella (travel version), keys, cables, etc - either one of these will be mentioned to be the root cause).

I am just curious to find out what's so special about the security at AMS which is a big PITA.

In addition, not sure why is again only at AMS, they they are so reluctant to use the automated passport gates when now recently at most EU airports where these gates are installed are nearly always available (the one's at CDG are a PITA to use as it takes close to 5 mins for the whole process while normally at German, UK and Italian airports, it's not more than 2 mins to get through).

Cheers!