Search

The ultimate thread on buy-ups at OLCI

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2018, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AMS-CPH. The usual, 6/8 available.

Johan
Old Jan 29, 2018, 5:36 am

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Originally Posted by Dennis88
I may have asked this before, but I can't find the answer.

My flight on Tuesday (LAX-AMS) still shows J=9 (nothing in Z at the moment). The first flight is operated by DL (SMF-LAX) and the ticket was also booked on dl.com.

Is there a way to see any possible upgrade offer once checkin opens for the KLM flight, or is it just going to redirect me to the delta website to check in? I seem to remember trying this last year (this is just about the only trip to Europe each year where I don't book J upfront, as Y was $530 and J a whopping $8300) but at that point J=2 and by the time I got to the lounge and later gate J was fully booked.

Just not trying to get my hopes up; I know this is a business-heavy route but as this is a quick trip to Berlin and back the same week I would not mind any possible upgrade, even if it's going to cost me (within reason, of course).

Dennis
Great question. I recently flew MSP-AMS-OSL and was not offered a buy-up for any of the KLM segments. IIRC I did check in on KLM.com but I could be mistaken, it was a month ago. KLM don't have any presence in MSP except for likely one station manager...... I didn't even ask about upgrading. In addition, there was an empty seat next to me in Y+ so I didn't need it!
On my return ticket AMS-MSP (see above) I was offered Eur399 and took it for the upgrade. Please let us know what happens with you!
Old Jan 29, 2018, 4:04 pm

Programs: DL DM, WN A-List, AA Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium
It was a little bit of a hassle but I got the upgrade offer and the upgrade.

Delta wanted me to check in before the first flight, which was 3 hours before the LAX-AMS flight that I wanted to upgrade on. Waited with that and when checkin opened went to the KLM website. It would not let me check in with the booking reference and the DL flight number of the SMF-LAX flight, and it did not show any options when I went to "check my trip".

What did work, however, was using the DL booking code and the KL flight number of the LAX-AMS flight. That got me to check in for just that flight, and that's where I saw the upgrade offer. It was $595.47 to upgrade from Y to J, which I took. Not great value, but good enough for me. Sounds like if I had waited until the lounge at LAX that I might have been able to upgrade for less, but I did not want to risk it.

Expertflyer showed J8 and Z7 prior to check-in opening, now just over an hour later it shows J3 and Z2.

Of course my favorite seat on KLM's 747 (1A) was long gone, but it will be my first ride on the upperdeck.

Dennis
Old Jan 30, 2018, 10:48 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles&More
Originally Posted by Xandrios
Perhaps the original booking class is of interest as well. I can imagine the upgrade fee is different for somebody on a full Y ticket, than for somebody on a G discount ticket. Are the upgrades available for everybody (at random) anyway?

Must say that in years of flying KL i have never been offered this option. I do fy mostly intra-europe though, I dont know if these upgrades are limited to long-haul?
I think cause intra Europe, the business class seats are turned into economy comfort, when there are not enough business class passengers. And how much would you be willing to pay extra for basically just a better inflight meal?
Old Jan 30, 2018, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hermitage
how much would you be willing to pay extra for basically just a better inflight meal?
And a guaranteed free middle seat. That may, perhaps, be worth something to some.

Johan
Old Jan 31, 2018, 1:06 am

Programs: DL DM, WN A-List, AA Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium
So after I got the upgrade yesterday for my LAX-AMS flight (see above) it all went south. Fog in Sacramento delayed my connecting flight SMF-LAX, and I would miss the connection. Got rebooked SMF-SLC-CDG-AMS-TXL on DL in order to make it there on the same day.

How would I go about getting a refund for the upgrade on the LAX-AMS flight that I obviously couldn't use? According to the diamond line and the joint venture desk the upgrade could not transfer to my new flights, so I'm currently in a very empty economy section of the SLC-CDG flight (which worked out fine). Not quite sure where the form is to fill out and how long this process usually takes.

Thanks,

Dennis
Old Jan 31, 2018, 7:34 am

Refund form: https://www.iscinfotech.com/rps/Forms/frmMain.aspx
Old Jan 31, 2018, 2:32 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
MUC-AMS today and AMS-BON tomorrow (seperate bookings btw): both no offer.

Not surprising from AMS-BON, considering the small C cabin on the A330-200 as well as quite some leisure demand in C, but 6 rows of BC on MUC-AMS and no OLCI offer surprised me.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 11:32 pm

Programs: FB Gold
AMS-TXL tomorrow: the usual 79€
Old Feb 1, 2018, 12:23 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Plat
AMS-PRG KL1357: 69 € . Both C and Y wide open
Old Feb 2, 2018, 11:17 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
DPS-SIN. Nothing offered at OLCI but at check-in I was able to upgrade for EUR 99.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 6:06 am

5/2 AMS-CDG-ACC OLCI upgrade to PE €192, to C €622
Old Feb 4, 2018, 8:01 pm

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
DPS-SIN. Nothing offered at OLCI but at check-in I was able to upgrade for EUR 99.
Sweet deal for this short ride on the WBC!
What was your original booking class?
Old Feb 4, 2018, 11:45 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by bodory
Sweet deal for this short ride on the WBC!
What was your original booking class?
A cheap, bottom-fare booked through Garuda. It seems like the price was fixed regardless of booking class. The agent had a sheet with the amount for upgrades to SIN or AMS.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 2:40 am

Programs: Many
Good to know. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.