Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The ultimate thread on buy-ups at OLCI

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2018, 1:34 pm

Programs: FB PLATINUM IHG ACCOR
Originally Posted by KL895
BON-AMS via AUA: no OLCI offer. When asked at the airport though, availability as indicated by staff changed from 1 seat only to 3 to 2 to 0 within some 30 seconds... so no price quoted after all. The last change from 2 to 0 was probably triggered by the discovery of special meals in the booking.
Indeed if in for an UG don't order SPML. Its a no go for any airline. Pitty for those really in need for any specific reason for a Special meal, although lots of passengers seem to misuse these meals for other reasons at the expense of the airlines....
Old Feb 24, 2018, 3:48 am

Programs: KL Plat
Originally Posted by Solevita
Tomorrow GOT - DUS - GOT, typical 489 SEK offer on all 4 legs.

KL1152 13/16 available
KL1855 7/20 available
KL1858 14/16 available
KL1163 5/8 available
In DUS checking the seat availability again and the upgrade offer was missing for KL1163, so thought maybe 5 people took the upgrade since this morning (still 5 empty EBC 3 hours ago). Go to check the layout, and they've upgraded me? The flight, based on the seat map was pretty empty, I think this morning of the 5ish rows of EC, there was me and 1 other seat taken. All 8 EBC are taken now, with departure still 9 hours away... are KLM getting generous??
Old Feb 24, 2018, 4:16 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
They will most likely just change the number of rows in Business class and turn the seats in to Eco Comfort seats.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by splflyer
Pitty for those really in need for any specific reason for a Special meal, although lots of passengers seem to misuse these meals for other reasons at the expense of the airlines....
What would those other unspecific reasons be, and in what way would they constitue misuse?

Johan
Old Feb 25, 2018, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by johan rebel
What would those other unspecific reasons be, and in what way would they constitue misuse?

Johan
Lets say dozens of passengers order lets say asian Vega Meals coz they think they are more tasty etc or most passengers just prefer to have their meal served first.
Am sure most of us frequent travellers have noticed this.
Lately flying out of Bkk an elderly dutch couple had a hindu meal order.... they did not like it all but explained to the crew member that their daughter ordered it as she thought it was tasty and to you get your meal first...The crew i must admit did their utmost to offer these seniors something more of their taste ....
I would think Special meal are pricy for airlines (handling /non standard etc) .Except if they are non IATA like Norwegian ...they just ask prices from 33,- E onwards i recently find out....
Old Feb 25, 2018, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not sure that ordering the (hopefully) tastiest meal available can be described as misuse.

Anyway, KL could just ensure that their regular meals are of such high standard that pax won't look for alternatives.

Johan
Old Feb 25, 2018, 2:05 pm

I'm not sure that ordering the (hopefully) tastiest meal available can be described as misuse.

Anyway, KL could just ensure that their regular meals are of such high standard that pax won't look for alternatives.

Johan
As far as i know all IATA airlines have to offer these so called Special meals, for those in the need eg Kosher/hindu. More tasty or not for sure many passengers now seem to find it fancy to order a special meal not for religious reasons but to first get a meal and have something else. You could consider this misuse.It would be interesting to know how many passengers would order these meals if they have to pay 10-12 E extra......
The standard meals on offer on most airlines are basically reasonable meals but for sure not more then that . Then again preparing meals with a few Euros budget for a nowadays a very demanding crowd must be a challenge. Then again you can always order a vegan or Gluten free meal on your next trip to Africa!- lol still for free that is... Or spend few euros and have nice a la carte meal- they are pretty tasty
Old Feb 26, 2018, 5:37 am

Johan
A friend who used to be a flight attendant many years ago (not with KL) mentioned once that whenever the staff couldn't get a free ticket and had to pay for their flight, they then ordered a Kosher meal, just because it costs the airline something like 30€.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 8:08 am

Programs: Many
If true it's mean, mean and mean.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The usual €70.-- AMS-CPH the other day. 5/8 available, went out with one free seat (and coach completely full).

Johan
Old Feb 27, 2018, 9:10 am

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
When I go to the "Bid on a possible upgrade page" (here), I get the following message:

I know there's plenty of space, so that's not the issue. Does this mean there's literally something about my fare that makes it impossible to bid on an upgrade, or simply that bidding isn't being offered on my flights? If the latter, might that change closer in? Our flights are about a month away.

Thanks!
Old Feb 27, 2018, 11:10 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by as219
When I go to the "Bid on a possible upgrade page" (here), I get the following message:

I know there's plenty of space, so that's not the issue. Does this mean there's literally something about my fare that makes it impossible to bid on an upgrade, or simply that bidding isn't being offered on my flights? If the latter, might that change closer in? Our flights are about a month away.

Thanks!
It used to mean "not available" for an upgrade (for numerous reasons). That could often change day to day (or week to week). How far out is your flight? I recall getting similar messages, and it was never my reservation, per se, but more so just the ability to bid on that particular reservation.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 4:59 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Might have to do it closer to the flight (a few days ahead of departure up to 24h). Sometimes it just won't work, sometimes you'll be in a bucket that isn't eligible to bid, etc. etc.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 7:22 am

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by baccarat_king
It used to mean "not available" for an upgrade (for numerous reasons). That could often change day to day (or week to week). How far out is your flight? I recall getting similar messages, and it was never my reservation, per se, but more so just the ability to bid on that particular reservation.
Originally Posted by caliform
Might have to do it closer to the flight (a few days ahead of departure up to 24h). Sometimes it just won't work, sometimes you'll be in a bucket that isn't eligible to bid, etc. etc.
Thanks for the tips. I'll keep checking...
Old Mar 1, 2018, 12:28 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
AMS-PRG tomorrow evening 20:20

The usual 69EUR. 7/8 available. Thanks, but no thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.