Reload this Page >

Apple Pay & Suica on iPhone/Apple Watch in Japan [consolidated thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Apple Pay & Suica on iPhone/Apple Watch in Japan [consolidated thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2017, 6:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Originally Posted by rustykettel
I used my physical card on landing until my wife's ICOCA card wouldn't recharge while we were out. Thinking about the options (buying a ticket, new card, etc) when I realized I had my watch on all set to go with Suica. Passed my own card off to my wife and used my watch. Worked like a charm!

A couple of observations after several days of using it:

- wouldn't activate while exercise app was running (actually paused) and the watch locked. Apple's guide says the device should go into Suica mode while locked so I asume it was exercise mode that blocked it from working.

- reload on the watch from a Wallet credit card worked without setting up an account in the Suica iPhone app. It took about 10 minutes after the credit card authorization went through and the watch said sucessful reload until the balance changed. Something to keep in mind if you're in a hurry

- accidentally triggered the IC reader while inserting a paper ticket into a turnstile with my watch hand. Only happened once so far and it was an exit gate. Still allowed me to exit but turned red until a station staffer reset the gate.

Overall, this has been great and so much easier not to keep track of a card. I doubt I'd go back to a physical one now.

ETA: reloaded again and card value wouldn't update either on my watch or in the app. A little concerned but it finally did several hours later after swiping on an IC pad (on a bus). I assume it also syncs the card at a reader and doesn't just store the value solely on the card?
I would assume paying at the terminal triggered some update sequence via the phone. I doubt the bus is always connected online.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 8:54 am

Programs: SAS Eurobonus - Blue / Emirates Skywards - Blue
Just a quick data point.

For those with Docomo phones :

The Prepaid D-Card became active for Apple Pay a few days ago.

I was able to add it successfully to my watch and have been able to make Apple Pay payments in both Seven Eleven and McDonalds - 3% off at McDonalds at least temporarily. Simple setup process just like other cards - scan with your phone and you get a verification message sent to your Docomo phone and after that you're away.

Interface is a bit basic - simple website and e-mail notifications not like the AMEX app unfortunately but it works.

If you dont already have a D-Card prepaid its free as long as you have a Docomo contract - no credit check - you load it with money via your Cellphone bill or credit card or cold hard cash in lawsons. Therefore potential for triple points hit :

- Points for original credit card
- Points for paying with the card
- Points for showing D Card at stores where D Card is accepted for points collection

NOTE! - You can not buy other gift cars / use credit for tax payment / pension payments its purely cold hard cash as far as convenience stores go for those.

-mrploddy
Old Feb 7, 2018, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

I updated my US iPhone 6 Plus to iOS 11.2.5 and had to re-pair my Japan Apple Watch Series 2 as the iWatch activity had stopped synching and Camera Remote Trigger wouldn't turn on. There's a few reports of this online and the suggestion is to re-pair your device.

Procedure:
1. Remove the Suica from your Watch's device settings in your iCloud account since iPhone can't talk to iWatch (to normally remove the Suica) due to the above issue. You should probably do this since the Suica can only be active on a single device at a time.
2. Unpair Watch from iPhone watch app which also creates a backup of the last known setup https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204568
3. Erase Apple Watch
4. (re)Pair Apple Watch. I told it to use my backup
5. Set regions on both devices to Japan (don't know if this is mandatory)
6. Re-add Suica card with Watch app Wallet "Add Suica" (my phone version doesn't support Suica in the phone's Wallet). At this point, it will re-log you into the Suica App. There's no obvious way to log into your Mobile Suica account if you have "My Suica" in the Suica App, first, to push it to the watch. Going to the "My Suica" section lead to the "My Suica" registration flow. This is probably due to the specific hardware combination I have. The virtual Suica card re-reactivation took ~ 4 min.

Device versions:
iPhone 6 Plus - US - iOS 11.2.5
Apple Watch Series 2 - JP - WatchOS 3.2.3 - I never really needed the update, vs the phone OS which needs to be compliant with work guidelines. The initial WatchOS 4 update was reputed to be laggy on Series 2 so I haven't upgraded.
Suica Type: "My Suica" registered balance card
Also needed: browser access to iCloud w/ 2FA device, wifi/mobile data

Estimated time to complete ~ 1 hr, mostly time spent pairing & setting up. It also took some time to check the translated docs for where to re-add the suica which I haven't added to the estimate.

Suica's documentation for re-adding the suica to the watch: http://appsuica.okbiz.okwave.jp/faq/...domain=default

AtaDistance encouraged the update to 11.2.5 for iPhone X https://atadistance.net/2018/01/23/i...y-suica-users/
though it has some issues https://atadistance.net/2018/01/30/i...ker-in-action/

Last edited by freecia; Feb 7, 2018 at 8:10 pm Reason: doc link
Old Feb 20, 2018, 10:18 am

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
So I have a trip planned for Japan next month, and I have my SUICA card from 2012 the last time I was there. I have an iPhone X. I wanted to install SUICA on my iPhone ahead of the trip, just so i'm ready to go... If I change my region to Japan now, and load my card, and then change it back to USA, are there any issues I should be aware of?
Old Feb 20, 2018, 5:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by bkafrick
So I have a trip planned for Japan next month, and I have my SUICA card from 2012 the last time I was there. I have an iPhone X. I wanted to install SUICA on my iPhone ahead of the trip, just so i'm ready to go... If I change my region to Japan now, and load my card, and then change it back to USA, are there any issues I should be aware of?
Shouldn't have any issues - the region setting is to add a SUICA card only. I'm in Tokyo now with the same IP7+ I've had for over a year, bought here in Tokyo, and have been using and recharging it frequently while the region is set to the USA. You can also install the SUICA iPhone app which is another way to check your balance or buy green car tickets, and other bonuses (if you can read Japanese), but you need to refill the balance from the Apple Wallet.

The couple times I lost the card due to phone restores, once I changed the region to Japan, the card popped back up automatically, then I changed the region back without issue.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 1:44 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Originally Posted by bkafrick
If I change my region to Japan now, and load my card, and then change it back to USA, are there any issues I should be aware of?
None whatsoever.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 6:17 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Is there still a difference between Japan and non-Japan iPhones as of the iPhone 8/X? I understand for iPhone 7 the difference is FeliCa type-F support in Japan and only type-A and B for elsewhere.

Conversely, can I use an US iPhone for Mobile Suica In Japan as long as the transit network is on FeliCa type-A/B (only some are on F)? Would I need to set my region to Japan like the camera sound trick? Am on Sprint, will be roaming on SoftBank
Old Feb 22, 2018, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by msp3
Is there still a difference between Japan and non-Japan iPhones as of the iPhone 8/X? I understand for iPhone 7 the difference is FeliCa type-F support in Japan and only type-A and B for elsewhere.

Conversely, can I use an US iPhone for Mobile Suica In Japan as long as the transit network is on FeliCa type-A/B (only some are on F)? Would I need to set my region to Japan like the camera sound trick? Am on Sprint, will be roaming on SoftBank
You will be fine - you don't need a physical card - get the Suica app and follow instructions to issue a card through the app.

Youc an be ready to go with it before you evy fly.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 3:21 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Sorry, I should be more clear. I have a non-Japan iPhone 7 though...
Old Feb 23, 2018, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by msp3
Sorry, I should be more clear. I have a non-Japan iPhone 7 though...
Nope sorry in that case no cigar.

The Felica chip is ON the phone but it's physically locked out by the burned in / unchangeable SKU number. The software will only activate the chip on phones it knows have been sold in the Japanese market. Region lock wo't cut it.

You would need either
a) An apple watch series 2 (bought in japan) or Series 3 or above and use the watch
b) An iphone upgrade.
msp3 likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 11:57 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
is it normal that a foreign iphone can use apple pay in japan? I seem to be able to use it only once in a Mickey D with a competent staff (I went back to the same shop 30 minutes later and the staff had no clue and ran a different terminal which didnt work)
Old Feb 27, 2018, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by kaka
is it normal that a foreign iphone can use apple pay in japan? I seem to be able to use it only once in a Mickey D with a competent staff (I went back to the same shop 30 minutes later and the staff had no clue and ran a different terminal which didnt work)
Quite normal I'm afraid.

Outside of Japan everyone uses NFC A/B - terminals that accept this type of technology are very thin on the ground eg major airports / big hotels. Within Japan they use Felica / QuickPay / ID which are contactless payments exclusive to Japan and nowhere else.

If youw ant to use Apple Pay in japan outside of the handful of locations you need to get Suica assuming you have iPhone 8 or up.
kaka likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 1:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mrploddy
Quite normal I'm afraid.

Outside of Japan everyone uses NFC A/B - terminals that accept this type of technology are very thin on the ground eg major airports / big hotels. Within Japan they use Felica / QuickPay / ID which are contactless payments exclusive to Japan and nowhere else.

If youw ant to use Apple Pay in japan outside of the handful of locations you need to get Suica assuming you have iPhone 8 or up.
normal that you cannot use the foreign phone, i'd assume?
Old Feb 27, 2018, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by kaka
normal that you cannot use the foreign phone, i'd assume?
The issue is not your phone but your method of payment.

If you have iPhone 8 or more get the Suica app and load it up with a Suica card - there are instructions on how to issue one on this forum / elsewhere.

You can then use your standard Apple Pay card to charge the Suica then pay from Suica.
kaka likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

Apple released iOS 11.3 & Watch OS 4.3.

JR East issued a system notice via Suica App that the iOS 11.3/WatchOS 4.3 Update breaks Apple Pay Suica functionality in the following ways.:
  1. Apple Pay Suica Express Transit stops working. JR East says to restart the device to restore Suica Express Transit functionality.
https://atadistance.net/2018/03/29/i...ple-pay-suica/

The Suica Express Transit option allows a set (or first) pass to scan without a double click on watch or unlocking phone
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207154

Those with an iPhone X and Watch 3 or JP Watch 2 may want to push their suica pass to the watch as iPhone X users may still experience occasional issues https://atadistance.net/2018/03/27/i...suica-problem/

Just a head's up as Spring is a popular tourism season.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.