Apple Pay & Suica on iPhone/Apple Watch in Japan [consolidated thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Apple Pay & Suica on iPhone/Apple Watch in Japan [consolidated thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2017, 4:25 am

Programs: SAS Eurobonus - Blue / Emirates Skywards - Blue
The components were present in all iPhones but the Felica hardware was only activated in Japanese phones based on the Japanese phone / watches part number.

They could probably turn it on for everyone with a firmware update but probably won't for iPhone 7 series.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 12:22 pm

Can you help me with this a bit.

So, for example, does this mean that I can download the Suica app, load the card via Apple pay, and then use it, for example, to buy a ticket on the Narita Express without having to go to a ticket window?

Apologies if the compound question had off-topic elements.

Many thanks.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 7:22 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by flyerwma
Can you help me with this a bit.

So, for example, does this mean that I can download the Suica app, load the card via Apple pay, and then use it, for example, to buy a ticket on the Narita Express without having to go to a ticket window?

Apologies if the compound question had off-topic elements.

Many thanks.
Narita Express is an all-reserved train service. Suica doesn't help, you need a seat reservation.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 7:48 pm

But to continue that answer it means you would be able to use it on any other train which did take a suica. My understanding is that this means you would need an older iphone which supports wallet (a 6S for example), an Apple Watch 3 purchased anywhere in the world and an existing suica (to load) and then this will work in Japan.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 12:30 am

The Suica app does not require an existing Suica Card.

You can get either a unregistered or registered one through the app by itself.

Also the Suica app does have the ability to load special tickets - you have to use the app for it. Not sure about the NEX.

There is talk of Suica enabled Shinkansen tickets coming this fall.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 12:31 am

Originally Posted by mrploddy

Also the Suica app does have the ability to load special tickets - you have to use the app for it. Not sure about the NEX.

I should point out that the app is in Japanese so you need someone who speaks / reads Japanese to do complicated stuff.

Most people on this forum seem to be able to issue bog standard unregistered cards without any knowledge of Japanese.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

You can use the Suica to pay for the physical Nex ticket at the automated booth but it won't be a digital ticket.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 12:49 am

I think you can already use the Mobile SUICA app to ride Shinkansen, as these YouTube video demonstrate:

NEX requires the extra fare class (特急券 / グリーン券) just like Shinkansen, and the app clearly shows the ability to purchase them from the videos, so in theory it should be possible, but I guess unless someone tries we won't know for sure.

I wonder if they will eventually allow people using JR Pass to convert paper tickets to mobile ones or have a mobile JR Pass, as that would be great!
nollbit likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 1:04 am

Thats great to know, thanks
Old Sep 18, 2017, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Aventine
You can use the Suica to pay for the physical Nex ticket at the automated booth but it won't be a digital ticket.
For those thinking about picking up an Apple Watch Series 3 to pair with an older iPhone- the LTE model only has LTE in the country of purchase. You'd probably want to avoid purchasing a Japan iWatch Series 3 LTE if using it mostly outside Japan (also, I'm guessing you'd probably need a Japan residence card for a device cellular contract) https://www.macrumors.com/2017/09/15...e-limitations/
Old Sep 19, 2017, 3:25 am

Originally Posted by freecia
For those thinking about picking up an Apple Watch Series 3 to pair with an older iPhone- the LTE model only has LTE in the country of purchase. You'd probably want to avoid purchasing a Japan iWatch Series 3 LTE if using it mostly outside Japan (also, I'm guessing you'd probably need a Japan residence card for a device cellular contract) https://www.macrumors.com/2017/09/15...e-limitations/
OK interesting data point. Reading the thread it appears to be because Apple is using a Voice over LTE standard which is not yet internationally standardized hence the roaming issues.

And yes absolutely no chance of getting a cellular contract in Japan unless you've got a visa / residence card and a fixed address in Japan.

Docomo for example is doing 6 months free then charging 500 yen to add it to your existing iPhone contract from next year.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 11:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Does anyone tech-savvy know if the Suica app for IOS is 64bit or 32bit? This will become important for anyone planning to upgrade to ios11.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 12:34 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Does anyone tech-savvy know if the Suica app for IOS is 64bit or 32bit? This will become important for anyone planning to upgrade to ios11.
64bit. If you go to Settings>General>About>Applications, it will list all incompatible installed apps. Suica is not one of those listed on mine.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 12:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by rustykettel
64bit. If you go to Settings>General>About>Applications, it will list all incompatible installed apps. Suica is not one of those listed on mine.
I can't even get a anything to show up at all under >Applications on my Japanese iPhone - there is no option to click it and see more detail
Old Sep 20, 2017, 1:04 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I can't even get a anything to show up at all under >Applications on my Japanese iPhone - there is no option to click it and see more detail
It just displays a list of incompatible apps. If there's nothing listed, then none of your apps are incompatible 32 bit versions. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.