Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Apple Pay & Suica on iPhone/Apple Watch in Japan [consolidated thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2019, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lsquare
If a resolution is a visit to the JR office, that could be problematic for someone that doesn't speak Japanese or is based overseas right?

Sorry for these stupid questions, but obviously my understanding of this isn't at the same level as you. My understanding was that my balance can never truly disappear especially if this is a technical related issue. I would prefer mobile Suica since I can reload with a credit card and not have to find a machine to reload. I tried reloading my Pasmo in Tokyo in May and I have to admit, the machine seems a bit complex and not very user friendly, but that's me.

What is this Super Suica that you were referring to?

I thought it was not possible to have mobile Suica and a physical Suica linked together. Are you saying that is possible? I wouldn't mind having a backup option. I also would prefer a card that can be used throughout Japan rather than just in Tokyo.

Thx a lot for taking the time to help educate me on this.
Yes, a visit to a physical station office is probably necessary for those of us who aren't fluent Japanese writers/speakers to resolve @socalgecko particular issue. Mobile Suica recently introduced more online contact methods like chat support in Japanese. More and more companies are offering English support channels via phone/web (Kuroneko Yamato, JP Post) or chat, too, so there's some hope for the future.

I've gone to a small non-touristy city station office to resolve a lost named Pasmo card with Tokyo Metro and we used google translate to communicate more clearly. Just be patient - to say that Japanese companies have diagnostic and procedural manuals is an understatement.

I'd visit a JR major station office if possible (best outside rush hour) and write down my issue in case their English is better in written format (very common), google translate if needed, and show/demo the issue. Some JR East stations have tourist offices that should have a staff member who can help translate if needed but I'd try the regular ticket office first. Tourist offices are experts at exchanging JR passes and making seat reservations for JR Pass users between Airports, Tokyo, Kyoto, and Osaka in a few languages ;p After that, you get a variety of skill levels for non-tourist JR transactions while the regular office agents would be more likely to be trained on what is mostly a domestic user service.

It isn't possible to link a mobile Suica and regular physical IC Suica card to the same pot of funds. It is an offline stored value card so even a single mobile suica card can only be tied to a watch OR phone under the same MySuica. I just carry a backup IC card. Mobile Suica largely works throughout Japan at major stations, big 3 combini chains, and shops near/at the station around foreign tourist destinations. Non-Tokyo regional bus networks which do accept IC are also improving their IC compatibility (flat touch pad reader, but not necessarily non-local IC compatible).

If you are going to major cities along shikansen routes or mostly tooling about Akiba (where cash is still useful for small collectible shops), don't worry and be patient when transferring Mobile Suica between phones. Sometimes waiting mysteriously resolves issues as evidenced by prior posts in this thread and Mobile Suica periodically has scheduled server side maintenance windows. I go to somewhat unusual places including a 24 hour ferry's cafe & vending which accepted Suica but doesn't always have a cell signal (unless you're tied to the ship docomo satellite resources) & no wifi. Sufficient power outlets, though. This IC interoperation chart is helpful if you travel to similar less international touristed destinations https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...nection_en.svg

AtaDistance's blog is a great resource for understanding Mobile Suica if you're curious and also has basic setup + help in English. Here's his post on Super Suica https://atadistance.net/2018/10/10/a...an-and-beyond/ It isn't necessary to get so involved in the detailed workings as long as you have a compatible device and since you upgrade every year, you will. The only caveat is when Apple borks an iOS/device release and degrades Mobile Suica performance or accuracy. AtaDistance is a good resource to check before major upgrades if you're going on a trip soon. Someone(I) usually also cross post problematic updates here if there is an issue.
lsquare and rustykettel like this.

Last edited by freecia; Aug 10, 2019 at 6:38 pm Reason: formatting for legibility
Old Aug 10, 2019, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by blitzen
the mobile/app version is getting locked after 6 month .... how inconvenient.... is a load resetting to clock?
It does according to AtaDistance. I often use mine first at an airport upon entry so I go to the staffed entrance and they can also reset it. You just tap a particular pad at the counter and it takes a minute longer.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 8:34 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by freecia
It does according to AtaDistance. I often use mine first at an airport upon entry so I go to the staffed entrance and they can also reset it. You just tap a particular pad at the counter and it takes a minute longer.
Can confirm. I reloaded through Apple Pay prior to leaving for Japan after a 6+ month interval and watch worked normally at the station gates without visiting a service counter first.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bocastephen
I would just wait until you get to Japan and have someone at the JR ticket station try and fix it for you. You won't be needing the SUICA card until you get back there anyway.
The English help website "Failed to add saved Suica from the server to Wallet again." gives a help number for Apple Care
"For further support; Call Apple Care: 0120-277-535"
Failed to add saved Suica from the server to Walle | Suica Apple Pay ???????

The JP version of the page seems to also have a form
????????????Suica??????????? | Suica Apple Pay ???????
and links to the page Apple Support which seems to cover incorrect SF (stored fare) "Inquiries regarding SF (electronic money) remaining amount display error or incomplete processing when depositing or using payment"
Apple?????Wallet????Apple Pay?iCloud?????????????? | Suica Apple Pay ???????

It might not hurt to try out the form if you have some time before your next visit to JR East region.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 8:49 pm
Original Poster

Current iOS13 beta Mobile Suica warning for SmartEx users https://atadistance.net/2019/08/29/i...-ex-app-users/
Old Nov 14, 2019, 9:01 pm
Original Poster

"New iOS 13 feature: Create virtual Suica cards directly in Wallet without using an app" https://atadistance.net/apple-pay-suica/
bocastephen and lsquare like this.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 6:56 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Hi all,

Doing some planning for my first ever trip to Japan this summer. I created a Suica card today from the English app, moved the card to my Apple Watch (since that will be more convenient at fare gates), got the IC card ID from the Suica Japanese app, and created a smartEX account with that IC card ID.

I see that I can buy tickets for Nozomi Shinkansen on the routes I need in smartEX. When the time comes, I can buy tickets a month in advance and then just tap my Apple Watch at the fare gate to generate a seating information card? (specifically at Shinjuku station for travel to Kyoto)

Do I have that right or have I horribly misunderstood?
Old Feb 15, 2020, 7:34 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Set up Suica on my iPhone but had to cancel/ postpone my trip until next year. Do I now have to load the sluice every (less than) six month to keep it active? Btw what happens if I forget?
Old Feb 15, 2020, 8:53 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Set up Suica on my iPhone but had to cancel/ postpone my trip until next year. Do I now have to load the sluice every (less than) six month to keep it active? Btw what happens if I forget?
No, no need to keep reloading it. After six months, it "locks" and you can leave it in that state without issue (Suica cards are valid up to 10 years from last use). When you're heading to Japan either reload with any amount or have a station agent unlock it prior to use.

https://atadistance.net/2018/04/26/u...he-suica-lock/
Old Feb 15, 2020, 8:53 pm
Original Poster

Mobile Suica goes inactive if you don't use or top up within six months. You can load a few yen to reactivate or go through the manned gate. The attendant can reactivate it for you.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by tetudc
Hi all,

Doing some planning for my first ever trip to Japan this summer. I created a Suica card today from the English app, moved the card to my Apple Watch (since that will be more convenient at fare gates), got the IC card ID from the Suica Japanese app, and created a smartEX account with that IC card ID.

I see that I can buy tickets for Nozomi Shinkansen on the routes I need in smartEX. When the time comes, I can buy tickets a month in advance and then just tap my Apple Watch at the fare gate to generate a seating information card? (specifically at Shinjuku station for travel to Kyoto)

Do I have that right or have I horribly misunderstood?
That's correct. It really is that easy. I love smartEX. Depending on the route you take, you can get some decent discounts if you book in advance or round trip. It also makes it easy to change or cancel your reservation as needed. Make sure that your Suica is set as your transit card.
tetudc likes this.

Last edited by hijiji; Feb 16, 2020 at 1:56 pm Reason: Added extra information
Old May 16, 2020, 12:31 am

Programs: UA MM, SQ KrisFlyer, SPG/Marriott Titanium
New iphone and no old Suica to transfer

I had an iphone X that got the infamous Green Screen stuck in rave mode. The screen made the phone unusable.
While on the phone with Apple Support, the agent instructed me to delete my phone from "Find my" and to send it in.

I found some instructions online about transferring Suica to a new iphone. It said to delete the cards then reinstall the cards because it's saved in the cloud. But since my screen didn't work, I couldn't complete that step.

https://atadistance.net/2017/09/17/u...uica-two-step/
https://atadistance.net/2017/11/03/u...uica-two-step/

Now with my new shiny 11 Pro, when I logged onto wallet, my regular US credit cards showed up ready for adding. However...when I switched to Region: Japan, and tried to add cards, an empty Suica came up. But not MY suica that had money on it before.

Is there any way to get my old Suica back?
Old May 16, 2020, 12:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by abraxis
I had an iphone X that got the infamous Green Screen stuck in rave mode. The screen made the phone unusable.
While on the phone with Apple Support, the agent instructed me to delete my phone from "Find my" and to send it in.

I found some instructions online about transferring Suica to a new iphone. It said to delete the cards then reinstall the cards because it's saved in the cloud. But since my screen didn't work, I couldn't complete that step.

https://atadistance.net/2017/09/17/u...uica-two-step/
https://atadistance.net/2017/11/03/u...uica-two-step/

Now with my new shiny 11 Pro, when I logged onto wallet, my regular US credit cards showed up ready for adding. However...when I switched to Region: Japan, and tried to add cards, an empty Suica came up. But not MY suica that had money on it before.

Is there any way to get my old Suica back?
Did you try this? https://atadistance.net/2017/11/07/l...ple-pay-suica/

Before doing anything else, delete that Suica Card on the new phone if you added it, sign out of iCloud then back in, and keep the phone in Japan region - go back into Wallet and see if your card is there. Another thing to consider, when you add the Suica card you might not see the balance right away, and it could be awhile before it all syncs up.
Old May 16, 2020, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Did you try this? https://atadistance.net/2017/11/07/l...ple-pay-suica/

Before doing anything else, delete that Suica Card on the new phone if you added it, sign out of iCloud then back in, and keep the phone in Japan region - go back into Wallet and see if your card is there. Another thing to consider, when you add the Suica card you might not see the balance right away, and it could be awhile before it all syncs up.
Argh. I did that. But since the screen on the X went unusable Apple support had me remove my X from Find My...

Today, I logged onto iCloud and found my X still there. I deleted all the cards and then tried to add my Suica on my 11 Pro. It gave me an error message that it wouldn't be added for 24 hours. I didn't get that message before.

So in 24 hours, I'll report back
bocastephen and rustykettel like this.
Old May 18, 2020, 8:15 pm

So my Suica showed up after adding it in the wallet intact. Added successfully. Another issue solved by Flyertalk! Thx.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.