Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Apple Pay & Suica on iPhone/Apple Watch in Japan [consolidated thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2020, 12:33 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by abraxis
Argh. I did that. But since the screen on the X went unusable Apple support had me remove my X from Find My...

Today, I logged onto iCloud and found my X still there. I deleted all the cards and then tried to add my Suica on my 11 Pro. It gave me an error message that it wouldn't be added for 24 hours. I didn't get that message before.

So in 24 hours, I'll report back
I had a similar issue with replacing a lost iPhone and this was basically the key to getting my Suica back- deleting it from iCloud the first time didn't actually delete it for some reason (possibly precisely because of the Suica), so I was able to go back and properly remove the Suica from the first phone.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 1:53 am
Original Poster

jamar Osafu Ponta JCB was discontinued ???????????????????????? and the remainder of balance can no longer be spent at Lawson as of August 17
Hm, I guess I should have been reading those emails and spent the balance on some JP Amazon mp3's or something as the JCB debit was discontinued June 30. The email states "The unused portion of the charge balance will be refunded from Tuesday, August 18. Details will be announced separately."

ETA: refund instructions here http://www.osaifuponta.lawson.co.jp/landingpage_02/ which require original card & JP bank account, Loppi access for balances < 9,999 yen, or Japan Post bank. I've got the card which does have a (loppi qualifying) balance but I don't have a JP bank/residency (nor stuck in Japan). *sucks teeth*

I guess I'll be playing some of the PontaWeb games to add some Ponta activity from outside JP to keep my Ponta balance alive due to prior Jalan bookings.

Last edited by freecia; Aug 19, 2020 at 2:06 am Reason: refund instructions
Old Sep 4, 2020, 2:57 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by freecia
jamar Osafu Ponta JCB was discontinued ???????????????????????? and the remainder of balance can no longer be spent at Lawson as of August 17
Hm, I guess I should have been reading those emails and spent the balance on some JP Amazon mp3's or something as the JCB debit was discontinued June 30. The email states "The unused portion of the charge balance will be refunded from Tuesday, August 18. Details will be announced separately."

ETA: refund instructions here ?????????????? | ???? which require original card & JP bank account, Loppi access for balances < 9,999 yen, or Japan Post bank. I've got the card which does have a (loppi qualifying) balance but I don't have a JP bank/residency (nor stuck in Japan). *sucks teeth*

I guess I'll be playing some of the PontaWeb games to add some Ponta activity from outside JP to keep my Ponta balance alive due to prior Jalan bookings.
I'm wondering if you know someone in Japan who can do the refund for you if you mail them your card, since the cards themselves don't have a name printed on them. I was fortunate enough to catch the e-mail in time so I loaded my iTunes balance with it. I still have a prepaid Visa from Cocokara Fine so I'm not without alternatives, thankfully.
Old Nov 28, 2020, 10:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I am moving from a Japan 7+ to a new US 12 pro max. Because of annoying problems with the 7, I’ve decided to set up the new phone as new and reinstall apps from scratch instead of restoring from a backup.

I am pretty sure I remember how to move my SUICA virtual account to the new phone, but I’m not sure that I remember how to setup the Japan Suica iPhone app. Will it automatically pick up the stored SUICA card from Apple Pay or do I need to manually configure the app?
Old Nov 28, 2020, 11:02 am

I'm not sure - it's tricky and the suica app is all in japanese... with the time change right now I didn't want to bother my wife with trying to sort it out remotely and I had to get my new phone set up ahead of heading back to Japan next week.

What I did was transfer my phone's suica in apple pay to my apple watch (you can't share a suica between phone and watch, but you can attach more than one suica to the watch, so the watch was temporarily holding both suicas) - then forced an icloud backup from my old phone, unpaired the watch from the old phone and paired it to the new, and then was able to move one of the suicas to the new phone from the watch. A little roundabout and obviously only an option if you have a watch.

It seemed to me that it wasn't otherwise possible to move the suica from phone to phone simply using apple pay/icloud, but I could be wrong. Plus there may be something you can do using the actual suica app if you can handle the kanji.
Old Nov 29, 2020, 4:49 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen
I am pretty sure I remember how to move my SUICA virtual account to the new phone, but I’m not sure that I remember how to setup the Japan Suica iPhone app. Will it automatically pick up the stored SUICA card from Apple Pay or do I need to manually configure the app?
Ata Distance has a very nice post (https://atadistance.net/2017/09/17/u...uica-two-step/) about transferring Apple Pay SUICA from old to new iPhone. Hope that helps!
bocastephen and rustykettel like this.
Old Nov 29, 2020, 8:21 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by LCUF
Ata Distance has a very nice post (https://atadistance.net/2017/09/17/u...uica-two-step/) about transferring Apple Pay SUICA from old to new iPhone. Hope that helps!
Thank you - moving the card balance within Apple Pay is easy, that's no problem - it's the JR Suica app itself from the App Store. If it can be installed and automatically picks up whatever Suica card is in Apple Pay, then it's no problem to migrate, but I just can't remember how I setup the app in the first place which is making the migration plan a headache.
Old Nov 29, 2020, 8:26 pm

Thank you - moving the card balance within Apple Pay is easy, that's no problem - it's the JR Suica app itself from the App Store. If it can be installed and automatically picks up whatever Suica card is in Apple Pay, then it's no problem to migrate, but I just can't remember how I setup the app in the first place which is making the migration plan a headache.
FWIW, I did not have to put the suica app on my new phone at all. Everything was done with Apple Pay/iCloud. I think the app is only needed to create a new suica.
bocastephen likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2020, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by pesos
FWIW, I did not have to put the suica app on my new phone at all. Everything was done with Apple Pay/iCloud. I think the app is only needed to create a new suica.
The app is handy for buying specialty tickets, such as Green Car, commuter pass, limited express shinkansen, etc and provides one-tap access to check your balance without calling up Apple Pay.
stifle likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2020, 9:37 pm

True, I forgot about green car.
Old Dec 5, 2020, 11:47 am

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by pesos
I'm not sure - it's tricky and the suica app is all in japanese... with the time change right now I didn't want to bother my wife with trying to sort it out remotely and I had to get my new phone set up ahead of heading back to Japan next week.

What I did was transfer my phone's suica in apple pay to my apple watch (you can't share a suica between phone and watch, but you can attach more than one suica to the watch, so the watch was temporarily holding both suicas) - then forced an icloud backup from my old phone, unpaired the watch from the old phone and paired it to the new, and then was able to move one of the suicas to the new phone from the watch. A little roundabout and obviously only an option if you have a watch.

It seemed to me that it wasn't otherwise possible to move the suica from phone to phone simply using apple pay/icloud, but I could be wrong. Plus there may be something you can do using the actual suica app if you can handle the kanji.
It’s possible. The TRICK is to go into the iOS wallet app and remove it from the old phone. Wait a few minutes. Then add a Suica on the new phone and it auto transfers. You must swap the SIM into the new phone and be logged into the same iCloud account for it to work properly.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 9:08 pm

Which credit card category suica/pasmo refill as travel? Citi premier counts pasmo as 1X only.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by nothinghappened89
Which credit card category suica/pasmo refill as travel? Citi premier counts pasmo as 1X only.
pasmo gets me travel (3x) on chase sapphire reserve
suica does not code as travel
lsquare, MattEvan, seigex and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 8:43 am

Programs: ANA PLATINUM,HYATT GLOBALIST, AA PLATINUM FOR LIFE, UNITED SILVER, HILTON DIAMOND, MARRIOTT TITANIUM
The app is handy for buying specialty tickets, such as Green Car, commuter pass, limited express shinkansen, etc and provides one-tap access to check your balance without calling up Apple Pay.
I buy green car seats on the app but I always need help since it's all in Japanese.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 1:41 am

Programs: ANA PLATINUM,HYATT GLOBALIST, AA PLATINUM FOR LIFE, UNITED SILVER, HILTON DIAMOND, MARRIOTT TITANIUM
I've been having trouble the last few days trying to add money to my mobile suica no matter what credit card I try to use. Any ideas?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.