Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Japan Rail (JR) Pass questions (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 6, 2016, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
About Japan Rail Pass
JAPAN RAIL PASS, a joint offering of the six companies comprising the Japan Railways Group (JR Group).
__________________________________________________ _____________

Eligibility
(1) You are a foreign tourist visiting Japan from abroad for sight-seeing, under the entry status of "temporary visitor" or

(2) You are a Japanese national living outside of Japan who has both their Japanese passport and written proof—obtained from the embassy or legation of Japan in the foreign country where they live—that they have been living legally in the country for 10 consecutive years or more.
__________________________________________________ _____________

Validity Period
The validity period of a JAPAN RAIL PASS is the consecutive 7, 14, or 21 days period beginning on the date the PASS is first used.
Within three months from the date the Exchange Order was issued, you must turn in your Exchange Order to obtain your JAPAN RAIL PASS
(for example, an Exchange Order issued on April 15 would have to be turned in by July 14).

more information: http://www.japanrailpass.net/en/index.html
Print Wikipost

Japan Rail (JR) Pass questions (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2017, 8:22 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
This notice at the bottom of the Hyperdia search page may have something to do with it:

The train and flight schedules are available from July 1, 2017 to September 30, 2017.
Jorudan has the October 2017 schedules loaded, so you will receive the correct results.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 4:46 am

Programs: IHG Gold
EDITED. (I see someone else has already given you Jorudan)
Old Sep 4, 2017, 2:52 pm

Programs: Non-status bottomfeeder
Originally Posted by armagebedar
Jorudan has the October 2017 schedules loaded
Thank you for the Hyperdia alternative. This works very well.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 4:31 pm

I need to pick up the Kanto Pass immediately upon arrival at HND. Flight arrives 6.30pm on a Saturday, we're staying in Yokohama that night, as of now have to catch the 7am bullet train that leaves from Tokyo the next day. No JR office open that early in the morning. I saw the opening hours for HND's JR Office... closes at 6.30pm. Thought it was a typo until I realized it wasn't. NRT's is open till at least 9pm everyday, and HND has almost 50 incoming international flights arriving 6pm or later. Pretty ridiculous.

The only JR pass sale location open past 7pm on a Saturday in Tokyo/Yokohama area is the one at Tokyo Station. Are there any options besides trekking all the way to Tokyo Station en route back down to Yokohama? If that's really the only option, I guess I'm not getting the pass, although the pass would've saved our family >10,000yen over the price of regular tix.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by evergrn
I need to pick up the Kanto Pass immediately upon arrival at HND. Flight arrives 6.30pm on a Saturday, we're staying in Yokohama that night, as of now have to catch the 7am bullet train that leaves from Tokyo the next day. No JR office open that early in the morning. I saw the opening hours for HND's JR Office... closes at 6.30pm. Thought it was a typo until I realized it wasn't. NRT's is open till at least 9pm everyday, and HND has almost 50 incoming international flights arriving 6pm or later. Pretty ridiculous.

The only JR pass sale location open past 7pm on a Saturday in Tokyo/Yokohama area is the one at Tokyo Station. Are there any options besides trekking all the way to Tokyo Station en route back down to Yokohama? If that's really the only option, I guess I'm not getting the pass, although the pass would've saved our family >10,000yen over the price of regular tix.

The JR office in Shin-Yokohama is open until 8:30 daily.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by hanajiro
The JR office in Shin-Yokohama is open until 8:30 daily.
Thanks, but Shin Yokohama is not on the list of places where you can get the pass, though.

https://www.jreast.co.jp/e/tokyowidepass/

Is it possible that this list is not a complete list?

Yokohama Sta has an office that closes at 7pm on Sat, which I won't be able to make with my arrival time.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by evergrn
Thanks, but Shin Yokohama is not on the list of places where you can get the pass, though.

https://www.jreast.co.jp/e/tokyowidepass/

Is it possible that this list is not a complete list?

Yokohama Sta has an office that closes at 7pm on Sat, which I won't be able to make with my arrival time.
That’s unfortunate. Can’t say for sure if that’s a complete list, but it may be worth investigating to see if there are any other locations or if the Shin Yokohama ticket office can do it for you. Might be worth a call to a travel agency like JTB or Kintetsu to see if they have any more info.

Good luck & have a great trip!
Old Oct 10, 2017, 7:00 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Looks to me like Tokyo station is your only choice. Perhaps stay there vs Yokohama considering you have to be there 730am the next morning anyway.

Where are you planning to use the pass to go to?
Old Oct 10, 2017, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by mapleg
Looks to me like Tokyo station is your only choice. Perhaps stay there vs Yokohama considering you have to be there 730am the next morning anyway.

Where are you planning to use the pass to go to?
There's nothing cheap near Tokyo Station that night, at least amongst the category of hotel I'm willing to stay at. Found availability in Yokohama that night to use my free IC night cert. As long as there's snow, we're headed to NASPA Yuzawa. Have to take the early shinkansen in order to make it in time for the ski lesson.

Whoever came up with the idea that HND's JR office doesn't need to stay open past 6.30pm is insane.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 3:44 pm

Programs: DL FO 1MM
All,

I'm currently considering the following circuit:

arrive in NGO, immediately go to Kanazawa
Spend 4 nights in Kanazawa, then move to Tokyo
Spend 7 nights in Tokyo
Return to Nagoya sometime the following day for 9pm departure flight

I believe neither the 7 nor 14 day Japan-wide pass will be helpful to me. Is there any regional pass that will help? I think there is not but I am not positive. Does anyone know differently?
Old Oct 24, 2017, 3:22 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

The passes only give you a price advantage when you travel substantial distances most days.. your schedule doesn’t.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 6:39 pm

Programs: UA MM, SQ KrisFlyer, SPG/Marriott Titanium
I will have a JR East pass for an upcoming Japan trip.

Part of the trip is a visit to Kanazawa via the Hokuriku Shinkansen.

The last JR East station is Joetsumyoko Station. Kanazawa is a JR West station.

How does it work with the JR East pass? Do we pay for the Joetsumyoko-Kanazawa leg?
Old Nov 1, 2017, 1:53 pm

It depends on the pass. If you have the JR East pass Nagano/Niigata area then it will not cover that last leg to Kanazawa, you will have to pay for it.

If you have instead something like the JR Hokuriku Arch pass, your Hokuriku Shinkansen would be covered all the way to Kanazawa and from there onto the Kansai/Osaka area even.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by paperwastage
anyone know how myjrpass.com (or ntaamerica.com, both owned by NTA America) codes the purchases?
(those two are the cheapest)

on visa's site, they are indeed listed as "Travel Services - 4722" for their CA office, but "Business/Professional Services - 5969" for their NJ office

myjrpass allows only LA pickup, ntaamerica allows LA/NJ/SF pickup
decided to buy through IACE online (and pickup in their store)

coded as travel (3x on my visa CSR)

http://www.iace-usa.com/en/
Old Nov 15, 2017, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Big change for Japanese non-residents using the pass.

I missed this but it came into force in June 2017.

http://www.japanrailpass.net/img/abo...ditions_en.pdf

Although Japanese passport holders were always barred from the JR East passes, so long as you had a valid visa in your passport showing that you had permission to reside abroad, the JR pass was open to you - and your children.

This has been clamped down on. Hard!

Now you need to get a hall pass from your local embassy/consul who will need proof that you've been residing overseas for over ten years before they'll issue it. Your kids won't be eligible either unless the parent qualifies.

---
We formalised everything at our local embassy when our daughter was born. Getting permission to buy a JR Pass for MrLapLap should be straightforward in a couple of years time. If we end up needing it before then, I understand there is probably a way to show proof of residency prior to this. Luckily this hasn't affected us, but it must be a real blow to so many other families.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.