Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Japan Rail (JR) Pass questions (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 6, 2016, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
About Japan Rail Pass
JAPAN RAIL PASS, a joint offering of the six companies comprising the Japan Railways Group (JR Group).
__________________________________________________ _____________

Eligibility
(1) You are a foreign tourist visiting Japan from abroad for sight-seeing, under the entry status of "temporary visitor" or

(2) You are a Japanese national living outside of Japan who has both their Japanese passport and written proof—obtained from the embassy or legation of Japan in the foreign country where they live—that they have been living legally in the country for 10 consecutive years or more.
__________________________________________________ _____________

Validity Period
The validity period of a JAPAN RAIL PASS is the consecutive 7, 14, or 21 days period beginning on the date the PASS is first used.
Within three months from the date the Exchange Order was issued, you must turn in your Exchange Order to obtain your JAPAN RAIL PASS
(for example, an Exchange Order issued on April 15 would have to be turned in by July 14).

more information: http://www.japanrailpass.net/en/index.html
Print Wikipost

Japan Rail (JR) Pass questions (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2019, 4:42 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by Busymann
Also, yes I like direct coms and am familiar with subtlety. I'm also familiar with smartassery and snobbery and find it weird and weak.
There's nothing subtle about the comment that you're repeatedly going back and forth on the same inter-city railway line and nothing snobbish about saying "That wouldn't work for me but YMMV." In fact, "YMMV" might be the closest thing that Flyertalk has to a core belief. This is a community dedicated to discussing travel preferences that many people would consider eccentric.
If you choose not to explain your thinking (e.g. "My homebase will be in Shinagawa." rather than "I'm basing myself in Shinagawa because I don't want to move my luggage around,") then you're the one being coy and limiting the value of the advice that people can offer.
Originally Posted by Busymann
I just need all the info available and I'll make the right decisions (example luggage forwarding).
Nobody knows "all the info" but, in addition to luggage forwarding services and open jaw itineraries (which are widely discussed here) people might suggest that you leave heavy luggage at your hotel in Tokyo and travel to the Kansai region with lighter bags, or that you book a hotel that's right at the railway station in Kyoto or Nagoya. If you can haul your bags from Arrivals to the airport bus stop or railway station, you will probably be OK to haul them from the Shinkansen platform to the Kyoto Granvia, for example.
abmj-jr and LapLap like this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 5:27 am

Programs: Bonvoy Plat,Hilton Diamond,IHG Plat,WOH Glob,Radisson Gold,MGM Gold,Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by jib71
There's nothing subtle about the comment that you're repeatedly going back and forth on the same inter-city railway line and nothing snobbish about saying "That wouldn't work for me but YMMV." In fact, "YMMV" might be the closest thing that Flyertalk has to a core belief. This is a community dedicated to discussing travel preferences that many people would consider eccentric.
If you choose not to explain your thinking (e.g. "My homebase will be in Shinagawa." rather than "I'm basing myself in Shinagawa because I don't want to move my luggage around,") then you're the one being coy and limiting the value of the advice that people can offer.

Nobody knows "all the info" but, in addition to luggage forwarding services and open jaw itineraries (which are widely discussed here) people might suggest that you leave heavy luggage at your hotel in Tokyo and travel to the Kansai region with lighter bags, or that you book a hotel that's right at the railway station in Kyoto or Nagoya. If you can haul your bags from Arrivals to the airport bus stop or railway station, you will probably be OK to haul them from the Shinkansen platform to the Kyoto Granvia, for example.

The reason was simply, "my hotel was in Shinagawa". Saying "you're going back and forth between cities" doesn't really say anything.

If you had a suggestion, kerboom. Otherwise, you aren't telling me anything of value besides something known said in a *ahem* different manner.

The original booking plan was to zip to Osaka overnight with USJ 1 day and Osaka proper another day then back to Shinagawa. I wasn't bringing heavy bags for an overnighter. Other than that, morning rides to Kyoto and Nagoya wouldn't have been taxing.

I had no interest in massive hotel hopping. A hotel in Hakone, a hotel in Kyoto, a hotel in Shinagawa, a hotel in Osaka....too much.

Anyway, I think the savings on the Rail Pass plus visiting Nagoya and Kyoto on the switchover plus saving on "visiting" Abeno Harukas seem to pan out money and time-wise over the money to leave outta KIX even luggage forwarding. The return time home sucks absolute @ss tho'. It doesn't work out better with Osaka and Tokyo switched around either.

Oh well.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 6:01 am

You can also add up to 7day delay in luggage forwarding, though I don't expect any issues with Marriot getting your bags early)

(Eg at Tokyo, forward bags to Kyoto with 3 day delay. Spend 2 days in hakone before getting to kyoto hotel)

Travelling takes a toll on your body, even if it's 2+ hours on a steady bullet train.

With two weeks in Japan, most people would pick a base in each major region(Osaka+Kyoto = 1, hakone+Tokyo =1). To make it easier, pick a hotel near major stations (shin-osaka, shinagawa)

(I'm one of the abnormal ones... Hotel-hop every 1-3 days for two weeks, travelled with just a largeish carry-on that fits in the 700yen lockers, did laundry every few days due to limited clothes)
Busymann likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 8:00 am

Programs: Bonvoy Plat,Hilton Diamond,IHG Plat,WOH Glob,Radisson Gold,MGM Gold,Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by paperwastage
You can also add up to 7day delay in luggage forwarding, though I don't expect any issues with Marriot getting your bags early)

(Eg at Tokyo, forward bags to Kyoto with 3 day delay. Spend 2 days in hakone before getting to kyoto hotel)

Travelling takes a toll on your body, even if it's 2+ hours on a steady bullet train.

With two weeks in Japan, most people would pick a base in each major region(Osaka+Kyoto = 1, hakone+Tokyo =1). To make it easier, pick a hotel near major stations (shin-osaka, shinagawa)

(I'm one of the abnormal ones... Hotel-hop every 1-3 days for two weeks, travelled with just a largeish carry-on that fits in the 700yen lockers, did laundry every few days due to limited clothes)
Yeah, this'll be my first time there so there's a lot to unpack. LOL

You do what I've seen on countless videos and that seems verrry cool. My lodging is free (worth about $5K) this go round so I'd be double dipping if I stayed elsewhere while having a spot already.

I'd also have to learn how to travel a lil' lighter and I understand I can use lockers for extras. We typically bring lots of stuff like when we went to an all-inclusive in Cabo, we brought our floats, metal canister for ice (keeps it very cold all day even at the hot beach), waterproof speakers and more. I'm not doing any of that here but still, I need to pack lighter. Less club clothes or varied outfits. Less varied shoes. Less electronics and gadgets (camera rigs and such). I bring my work and personal laptop, for instance. I bring hair clippers. All that needs to be chopped down since it adds weight.

I would love to stay in a private onsen ryokan in Hakone, for instance, and while staying there exploring it....fully. However, I'm constrained by money, time, and wanting to get in bits of "everything" instead of full experiences anywhere. For instance, instead of staying in Kyoto, the plan is to go there for a good chunk of day once and then a full day another day. (I almost chose Australia over Japan)

Anyway, it seems a JR Pass would now not be worth it since the biggest expense would be a one-way trip from Kanto to Kansai with stops along the way.

Not using the pass opens up options for ticket buying using the Smart EX app for convenience and using Nozomi trains since it wouldn't be much of a negative buy.

Last edited by Busymann; Apr 3, 2019 at 12:03 pm
Old Apr 3, 2019, 12:54 pm

Smart Ex offers a slightly discounted Green Car ticket for the first few Nozomi trains of the day. The rate isn't always available and I think is sold up to a few days in advance. The first few trains are pretty early but it does make getting through Shinagawa station easier since it is before rush hour and you have more time in the city upon arrival. The other downside (for me) is that there are less ekiben (train bento) shops open at that hour.
Busymann likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 6:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Hello again, folks. I just purchased 14-day Green JR Rail passes for an upcoming family trip. My exchange order should arrive in a few days.

Our plan:

29 May - Narita Express to Shinjuku.
1 June - Tokyo to Kyoto on the Shinkansen (I understand we can't take a Nozomi train)
4 June - Kyoto to Nara on the Nara Line (no seat reservations, I believe)
6 June - Nara to Takayama (Nara Line to Kyoto, Shinkansen to Nagoya, Hida Line to Takayama, right?)
9 June - Takayama to Narita (Hida Line to Toyama, Shinkansen to Toyko, Narita Express)

I understand that the JR East station at Narita can be very busy, but I think I'd like to obtain and activate the passes there and be done with it. I can make all seat reservations for the whole trip then and there, correct?

Thanks for any tips or corrections.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by dhuey
Hello again, folks. I just purchased 14-day Green JR Rail passes for an upcoming family trip. My exchange order should arrive in a few days.

Our plan:

29 May - Narita Express to Shinjuku.
1 June - Tokyo to Kyoto on the Shinkansen (I understand we can't take a Nozomi train)
4 June - Kyoto to Nara on the Nara Line (no seat reservations, I believe)
6 June - Nara to Takayama (Nara Line to Kyoto, Shinkansen to Nagoya, Hida Line to Takayama, right?)
9 June - Takayama to Narita (Hida Line to Toyama, Shinkansen to Toyko, Narita Express)

I understand that the JR East station at Narita can be very busy, but I think I'd like to obtain and activate the passes there and be done with it. I can make all seat reservations for the whole trip then and there, correct?

Thanks for any tips or corrections.
not sure why you bought a 14day pass for that itinerary, especially a green car

depending on crowds, they may or may not set up seat reservations when exchanging at JR East narita
Old Apr 21, 2019, 7:03 pm

not sure why you bought a 14day pass for that itinerary, especially a green car
By my count, this is 13 days. Why would I not go with a 14-day pass for this?
Old Apr 21, 2019, 7:23 pm

By my count, this is 13 days. Why would I not go with a 14-day pass for this?
various calculators estimate 44k-45k yen for your itinerary
14day ordinary pass is 46k yen (and 63k yen for green car)

if PAYG, there are better options (Nozomi trains are faster), choose Kintetsu train to Kintetsu-Nara (location better than JR-Nara station), skyliner access via ueno etc

of course if you just want peace of mind (flash your pass at the gate, take any train), the pass is only slightly more expensive
Old Apr 21, 2019, 7:45 pm

various calculators estimate 44k-45k yen for your itinerary
14day ordinary pass is 46k yen (and 63k yen for green car)

if PAYG, there are better options (Nozomi trains are faster), choose Kintetsu train to Kintetsu-Nara (location better than JR-Nara station), skyliner access via ueno etc

of course if you just want peace of mind (flash your pass at the gate, take any train), the pass is only slightly more expensive
We also plan on using the subways in Tokyo and Kyoto. And yes, there is much convenience value for us not to have to purchase multiple tickets.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 7:50 pm

We also plan on using the subways in Tokyo and Kyoto. And yes, there is much convenience value for us not to have to purchase multiple tickets.
subway in tokyo/kyoto isn't covered by the pass (the yamanote train line in tokyo is covered)

anyways, it's too late... you bought the pass
Old Apr 21, 2019, 8:13 pm

subway in tokyo/kyoto isn't covered by the pass (the yamanote train line in tokyo is covered)

anyways, it's too late... you bought the pass
Darn. Some small savings in how Shinjuku to Shinagawa would be covered by the pass when we go to Kyoto.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 10:00 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
It can be difficult to arrange all reservations at NRT for a 13 day stay. A better plan might be to exchange your JR Passes and have the agent make your first reservations to Shinjuku. Upon arrival at Shinjuku, you can then drop into the JR service center and make the rest of your reservations. If it is late in the day, just plan on dropping back by on another day during your stay. I have found it is helpful to have your preferred date, time, starting station and arrival station written down if at all possible. I usually search out my routings on HyperDia and have the preferred train numbers as well but that may be overkill if you would like the agent to help find your trains.

Are you planning to change hotel between Kyoto and Nara? They are less that an hour apart by local Nara Line trains and most folks just stay in one or the other, day tripping between them. Since you will be in the Kansai area for 5 days, you might want to think about another day trip, perhaps to Himeji. Might as well make use of that Rail Pass.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 7:56 am

Darn. Some small savings in how Shinjuku to Shinagawa would be covered by the pass when we go to Kyoto.
hate to burst your bubble

Kyoto-Shinagawa is the same price as Kyoto-Shinjuku

(a paid Shinkansen ticket from tokyo allow you a free transfer to/from the yamanote line)

I'm with @abmj-jr above - either print or show the Hyperdia routing, makes life a lot easier for everyone. I've seen tourists stuck forever at the ticket office, and the counter had to bring out a portable translator device

I just show them the Hyperdia routing, confirm the time & destination & # of people

Last edited by paperwastage; Apr 22, 2019 at 5:07 pm
Old Apr 22, 2019, 10:33 am

Thank you very much, abmj-jr and paperwastage. I'll go with the plan of doing the seat reservations for everything after day 1 at Shinjuku, and I'll have the HyperDia information ready for the agent.

Yes, abmj-jr, we will transfer hotels from Kyoto to Nara. I'll look into your day trip idea. Much obliged.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.