Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Japan Rail (JR) Pass questions (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 6, 2016, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
About Japan Rail Pass
JAPAN RAIL PASS, a joint offering of the six companies comprising the Japan Railways Group (JR Group).
__________________________________________________ _____________

Eligibility
(1) You are a foreign tourist visiting Japan from abroad for sight-seeing, under the entry status of "temporary visitor" or

(2) You are a Japanese national living outside of Japan who has both their Japanese passport and written proof—obtained from the embassy or legation of Japan in the foreign country where they live—that they have been living legally in the country for 10 consecutive years or more.
__________________________________________________ _____________

Validity Period
The validity period of a JAPAN RAIL PASS is the consecutive 7, 14, or 21 days period beginning on the date the PASS is first used.
Within three months from the date the Exchange Order was issued, you must turn in your Exchange Order to obtain your JAPAN RAIL PASS
(for example, an Exchange Order issued on April 15 would have to be turned in by July 14).

more information: http://www.japanrailpass.net/en/index.html
Print Wikipost

Japan Rail (JR) Pass questions (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2019, 8:30 pm

Programs: NH Dia/SFlyer, JL Crystal/JGC, MB Plat, WoHyatt Glob, IHG Dia Amb, HHonors Dia
Originally Posted by evergrn
That's not good. Not just rude, but should not be allowed.
Sure. Missing a train because the only manned gate with only one JR staff is jammed should not be allowed as well.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 11:00 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
I am considering getting a JR Rail pass during the Olympics to save on hotel costs and ride an hour each way into the city.
Has there been any concern that the Rail Pass could be suspended during the Olympics because it's going to be so busy?
Not to give anyone any ideas : D
Old Jun 15, 2019, 11:26 pm

Programs: UA Kayaker and LVF, OZ Carbonesque
Here's another vote for the flexibility of the JR Pass. It may not make as much sense for limited or infrequent train travel, but I would opt for the rail pass even if it were slightly more expensive than buying individual tickets, but then again I am not a traveler on a tight and fixed schedule.

I recently made a long day trip from Kyoto through Uji, Nara, and then Osaka. I had planned to take the Shinkansen from Shin-Osaka to Kyoto, but there was a power outage on the Sanyo line, with an estimated delay of at least 30 minutes. With Hyperdia and the rail pass, I ended up on the Thunderbird limited express, losing very little time, and not having to stand for half an hour in a standard commuter train with my shopping bags.

On the other hand, there were so many people that the wait at the ticket office in Sendai probably would have been at least 30 minutes, and I gave up on trying to make a Green Car reservation and jumped on the next available unreserved seat to Tokyo.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by SteadyAT
+1. We are seasoned travellers, but things happen.

We had a reservation from Takayama to Nagoya (transfer) to Kyoto. There was something blocking the tracks during our Takayama to Nagoya trip, causing a significant delay and our missing the Nagoya to Kyoto train. Having the pass meant we were able to hop onto the next unreserved green car without having to go to the ticket office to re-arrange travel / seats.

On another occasion, the platform at Kyoto was packed as we were waiting for a train to Osaka. People were lined up and we joined the line and our train pulled up. We waited for folks in line to move onto the train but they did not. It became evident to us that they were not lining up to board the same train as us, and by that time, the train doors were closing. Oops! Again, because we had the JR pass, we just waited for the next train to Osaka and boarded the unreserved seats car, no problem! -
Truth. We, too, have skipped or missed trains due to long lines and confusion. Since all had JR Passes, as a group we were usually able to slide onwards with with no extra fuss or expense.

In an earlier trip, we had made Narita our home base and would regularly take the last direct NEX train back. We opted to forego it one night and found ourselves riding a series of commuter trains to get home. But then, we got separated in the crowds while connecting at Chiba. Everyone managed to meet up at the next station down the line (our agreed-on rule in such times), before continuing on to Narita together.

This on-the-fly regrouping wouldn't be easy or economical without passes acting as a collective backstop. It averts entire categories of worries and efforts when you have enough to handle already.

Originally Posted by naeglerian
Here's another vote for the flexibility of the JR Pass. It may not make as much sense for limited or infrequent train travel, but I would opt for the rail pass even if it were slightly more expensive than buying individual tickets, but then again I am not a traveler on a tight and fixed schedule.

I recently made a long day trip from Kyoto through Uji, Nara, and then Osaka. I had planned to take the Shinkansen from Shin-Osaka to Kyoto, but there was a power outage on the Sanyo line, with an estimated delay of at least 30 minutes. With Hyperdia and the rail pass, I ended up on the Thunderbird limited express, losing very little time, and not having to stand for half an hour in a standard commuter train with my shopping bags. -
The Thunderbird may be less smooth, but it ends rather nicely for a Kyoto run. I liked that it deposited us right outside the sweeping "main bay' of the station.

Last edited by FlitBen; Jun 16, 2019 at 12:24 am
Old Jun 16, 2019, 12:51 am

Originally Posted by evergrn
Machine where you buy your train tix from for bullet train, NEx, etc, along with seat assignment. Can't use the machine if you're traveling with JRailPass and want to secure assigned seats whether right away or days in advance, in which case you have to line up and talk to a person.
Yeah, a pass would not offer much of a coordination benefit for a straight run between cities, especially with single travellers. That said, visitors might consider a pass during heavy rains, when commuter schedules can go awry on short notice and where they could end up playing catch-as-catch-can with the locals on the same machines and platforms.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 1:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by kyushuman
I am considering getting a JR Rail pass during the Olympics to save on hotel costs and ride an hour each way into the city.
Has there been any concern that the Rail Pass could be suspended during the Olympics because it's going to be so busy?
Not to give anyone any ideas : D
I'd skip the pass during the Olympics. There will probably be a vast increase in the number of passholders, and who knows if JR will open up any additional manned gates. Might end up being long lines at the manned gates.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 1:59 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
One of the biggest advantages of a JR Pass for me is the elimination of a need to purchase tickets on local and regional JR trains. Just walk on.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 2:24 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by dhuey
I'd skip the pass during the Olympics. There will probably be a vast increase in the number of passholders, and who knows if JR will open up any additional manned gates. Might end up being long lines at the manned gates.
I can imagine that stations near olympic venues (e.g. Sendagaya) will often have crowding issues around the ticket gates. But staying out of town and commuting in with a JR Pass might still be worthwhile. If using manned gates turns out to be a severe limitation, you could use the JR pass for your express train ride into town (the expensive part of the commute), then leave and re-enter a less crowded station and use a SUICA or a paper ticket for the last couple of stops. This approach will set you back a few hundred yen, but it might spare you some aggravation.

I imagine that regions outside of Tokyo would be upset if JR Pass were suspended during the games, since the pass might encourage visitors to visit other parts of Japan.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by jib71
I can imagine that stations near olympic venues (e.g. Sendagaya) will often have crowding issues around the ticket gates. But staying out of town and commuting in with a JR Pass might still be worthwhile. If using manned gates turns out to be a severe limitation, you could use the JR pass for your express train ride into town (the expensive part of the commute), then leave and re-enter a less crowded station and use a SUICA or a paper ticket for the last couple of stops. This approach will set you back a few hundred yen, but it might spare you some aggravation.
There are regional passes which also reduce the cost but I'd also look to commuter lines with Green car(s) as those are a reasonable cost, too. Lots of people commute to Tokyo everyday from further out suburbs and good commuter transit options already exist. Commuter lines with Green cars in Japanese https://www.jreast.co.jp/railway/train/green/ You can get a refund if the Green car is full and you'll stand in an ordinary car http://jreastfaq.okbiz.okwave.jp/faq...utf8=%E2%9C%93
How to use the Green car on ordinary trains https://www.jreast.co.jp/suica/use/g...se_system.html
Ltd. Exp and commuters are less expensive than the Shinkansen ie Omiya to Ueno is 19 min for Shinkansen & 2,830 yen for reserved seat while the Takasaki/Utsunomiya line is 26 min, 1,040 yen for Green seat (Green car less expensive on weekends & holidays). JR is also extending the late night hours during the Olympics https://soranews24.com/2019/03/20/is...ain-schedules/ and other commuter rail companies are also considering the same.

My partner once got stuck standing on the Shinkansen unreserved car from Tokyo to Sendai for a large matsuri, which was also difficult to exit due to crowds. It wasn't the best experience. I can only imagine what it would be like doing this for multiple days in the summer. Pack deodorant, buy deodorant wipes, possibly bring an extra fresh shirt & clean socks for your return if it is a longer commute (be prepared for sweat in the summer just standing and waiting for the train), and maybe a rechargeable hand fan https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30733753-post156.html

Last edited by freecia; Jun 16, 2019 at 3:55 pm
Old Jun 16, 2019, 10:36 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Plat,Hilton Diamond,IHG Plat,WOH Glob,Radisson Gold,MGM Gold,Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by FlitBen
Even if the JR Pass were to cost slightly more, it can make sense for its routing flexibility and convenience. You can also skip having to deal with machines.and agents, except for seat reservations.

In one instance, we were halfway to Shin-Osaka when my son realized that he had left stuff behind at Himeji. We alighted at the following station and headed back on the next available Shinkansen. For our trouble, we got to see the Castle glowing ethereally at night. One of the more memorable experiences we had.

A rail pass, even a limited regional version, gives you such economical options in the event of the unexpected. Our friends and relatives in Tokyo and Kobe all wish they had access to these visitor-only passes.
Your relatives ride trains in Japan more often than you.

You bring up the event of backtracking as far flexibility. However, it's actually more flexible to ride the variety of trains vs just JR when available.

With all that said, I calculated that I will save money by getting a 7 day pass on my 14 day stay. I'm going Green.

Here's how. My shinkansen switchover to Osaka....

Shinagawa to Nagoya - 14680
Nagoya to Kyoto - 7820
Kyoto to Kobe - 4410
Shin-Kobe to Shin-Osaka - 3860

I also have a trip to Hakone before then (the day before I switchover)
Shinagawa to Odawara RT - 8660

I also have a separate trip AFTER I get to Osaka full a full day in Kyoto
Shin-Osaka to Kyoto RT - 7560

Total is 46990 about $430.
A 7-day Green JR is 356

If I went with a regular pass, it's a little closer. 28680 (about $265) and the JR pass is $267.

My savings go further, of course, if I take JR trains during that 7-day window. Most likely taking the Haruka which adds another $30.

I have Hakone on a Monday, switchover on Tuesday, leave for Kansai on Sunday. I'd activate the pass on Monday. Almost all my Tokyo stay then would be without the pass but that's piddily money that won't rise to needing a 14-day pass.

Thank you.

Who is best to order from?Japan Experience?
Old Jun 16, 2019, 10:55 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by Busymann
... Who is best to order from?...
JAPAN RAIL PASS

Scroll all the way to the bottom and find the link "Buy at a designated JR office or agent. Click through and find an agent near you. You can usually pick up in person or have them send it via 2-day delivery. I use TTA, Inc because they are close and very reliable but virtually any of those listed will be good and they pretty much all sell at the same price.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 4:38 am

Programs: Bonvoy Plat,Hilton Diamond,IHG Plat,WOH Glob,Radisson Gold,MGM Gold,Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by abmj-jr
JAPAN RAIL PASS

Scroll all the way to the bottom and find the link "Buy at a designated JR office or agent. Click through and find an agent near you. You can usually pick up in person or have them send it via 2-day delivery. I use TTA, Inc because they are close and very reliable but virtually any of those listed will be good and they pretty much all sell at the same price.
Gotcha. I see Japan Experience is one listed in CA. They do 2-day Fedex. I could also go to DC on Connecticut Ave or K St and pick up an exchange order in person.

I was thinking of doing pocket wifi and Suica cards ahead of time too and I could get it all from Japan Experience in one shot.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 9:42 am

Your relatives ride trains in Japan more often than you.

You bring up the event of backtracking as far flexibility. However, it's actually more flexible to ride the variety of trains vs just JR when available. -
Yes, they rely on public transit a lot and would mix and match regular IC card use with whatever else makes economic sense, including local passes from all major rail networks. So, if you will be using IC cards for flexibility around Tokyo, you might swing by a station machine first and check whether the daily pass is on sale for that day.

With all that said, I calculated that I will save money by getting a 7 day pass on my 14 day stay. I'm going Green.

Here's how. My shinkansen switchover to Osaka....

Shinagawa to Nagoya - 14680
Nagoya to Kyoto - 7820
Kyoto to Kobe - 4410
Shin-Kobe to Shin-Osaka - 3860

I also have a trip to Hakone before then (the day before I switchover)
Shinagawa to Odawara RT - 8660

I also have a separate trip AFTER I get to Osaka full a full day in Kyoto
Shin-Osaka to Kyoto RT - 7560

Total is 46990 about $430.
A 7-day Green JR is 356

If I went with a regular pass, it's a little closer. 28680 (about $265) and the JR pass is $267.

My savings go further, of course, if I take JR trains during that 7-day window. Most likely taking the Haruka which adds another $30.

I have Hakone on a Monday, switchover on Tuesday, leave for Kansai on Sunday. I'd activate the pass on Monday. Almost all my Tokyo stay then would be without the pass but that's piddily money that won't rise to needing a 14-day pass.
Unless it's your big trip to Japan or you are all plus-sized, the regular 7-day Pass should suffice. The ride will be equally smooth, regular seats are nearly as spacious as business-class airline seats, and washrooms and other amenities are the same between train cars.

A Suica or Pasmo is good for local rides around Tokyo. Metro or Toei day passes can work, depending on the run of places you are visiting. You could consider a hop-on/hop-off bus pass, the street sighseeing is fun and it goes over the Rainbow bridge to Odaiba, but only on clear days.

In groups, taxis to nearby sites (especially in Kyoto) can be almost as economical while saving time and aggravation. Be aware that a big station like Shinjuku or Tokyo can take as long to negotiate on foot as to ride there from adjacent stations.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by FlitBen
In groups, taxis to nearby sites (especially in Kyoto) can be almost as economical while saving time and aggravation. Be aware that a big station like Shinjuku or Tokyo can take as long to negotiate on foot as to ride there from adjacent stations.
I've been hearing a lot about Kyoto tourism overcrowding. Taxi is a good option if you'll be going to sights around prime hours or go early/late if you can.

Shinkansen gates at large stations are usually on one side of the station, seemingly on whichever side is always furthest ;p If you are taking a taxi and going to the Shinkansen, you can ask them to drop you at the closer entrance by saying <Station Name> Eki Shinkansen like "Tokyo Eki Shinkansen". It also helps to specify the line like going North to Tohoku vs West via Tokaido/Hokuriku to Shin-Osaka or Kanazawa, as there's two areas of Shinkansen gates in Tokyo Stn (the lines don't connect within the station).

JPN Taxi's might seem intimidating for those who don't speak Japanese. It took me a lot of visits before I ever got in one. They're good in general and there's the Taxi Magic app if you want an "In Case" option or are more comfortable app hail ride sharing (to be clear, it sends a taxi. Gig economy drivers are for food delivery in Japan, not transportation) Uber in Tokyo
Old Jun 17, 2019, 10:02 am

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Originally Posted by dhuey
Without the pass, I doubt there is a chance of getting a hotel room for the Olympics-- I've been to the Olympics in Rio, and that was the hardest part (logistics, even tickets, etc all are easy!)
I will likely try it. At big stations there is usually someone there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.