Wiki Posts
Search

English guide on how to read a Japanese DL

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold Guest List; HH Diamond; Hyatt Diamond; SPG Gold
English guide on how to read a Japanese DL

So long story short, I'm trying to get the local Road Traffic Office in India to understand my Japanese driving licence. I have a certified translation, but of course that doesn't entirely help, since it indicates merely I have a "normal" licence for driving "regular" vehicles.

Mr Officious at the RTO wants something more than that. Is anyone in possession of, or do they have a pointer to, an official-looking guide on how to interpret a Japanese driving licence that is written in English?
Old Feb 12, 2013, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Something like this? Or even more detailed?

http://www.budgetrentacar.jp/common/image/sample01.gif
Old Feb 12, 2013, 3:06 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Perhaps this Wikipedia article on Japanese vehicle classifications will satisfy the RTO? It provides some information about the meaning of "normal": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle...ss#cite_note-3

Sure, it's Wikipedia, so Mr. Officious might not accept it. If that's the case, you might be able to find an English translation of the Japanese documents that it cites.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 7:17 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
IMHO it's possible this problem might be easily solved by paying the officer a "translation" fee.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 1:24 am

Originally Posted by 5khours
IMHO it's possible this problem might be easily solved by paying the officer a "translation" fee.
Depending on the OP's level of experience in the country, he might do well to get a local to propose and negotiate this "translation fee" on his behalf. This should mitigate the possible consequences of a "misunderstanding".
Old Feb 13, 2013, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If the official were able to assist with the help of a "translation fee", I assume that he would have already taken the initiative to propose such a solution?
Old Feb 13, 2013, 2:22 am

Originally Posted by hailstorm
If the official were able to assist with the help of a "translation fee", I assume that he would have already taken the initiative to propose such a solution?
I'm not familiar with the culture. You may be right. All the more reason to rely on local experts to navigate through this.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:20 am

Programs: UA, NW
India has a multitude of very low-cost translation agencies, much to the dismay of us translators in Western countries. Since a translation of a driver's license doesn't have to be elegant prose, perhaps you could find one of them to translate your driver's license for literally pennies per word.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold Guest List; HH Diamond; Hyatt Diamond; SPG Gold
I already have a certified translation; which is the really annoying thing. I have already provided the Wikipedia page too.

They are asking questions like "where does it indicate this it is a Class 1 licence?", and do not seem satisfied that Class 1 gives a subset of the rights of Class 2 and that these are the only classes that exist.

I've only been in India for six months, but I already recognise this type of behaviour as the prelude to a suggestion that a gratuity will ease the way.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sometimes I wish that such gratuities were accepted in Japan. I had to take the driving test to convert my license four times before I finally met their petty requirements that only apply on the test course...
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:34 pm

Sometimes I wish that such gratuities were accepted in Japan. I had to take the driving test to convert my license four times before I finally met their petty requirements that only apply on the test course...
International license works pretty well in Japan. Easy to pick up at a AAA office.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

International license works pretty well in Japan. Easy to pick up at a AAA office.
Only for the first year you are in Japan. After that, converting to a Japanese license is mandatory.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 1:54 am

Only for the first year you are in Japan. After that, converting to a Japanese license is mandatory.
Officially yes.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 2:18 am

Officially yes.
Yeah. Well, unofficially I expect you can carry on using your international license for several years ... provided you have no reason to interact with the law. But if, for instance, you have a prang and the rozzers get involved, I would expect reality to match the official position - and the lack of a valid license could create some problems. Do you know different?
Old Feb 14, 2013, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Officially yes.
Officially nothing. It was a cool loophole 15 years ago, but now if they find you using nothing but a valid international license while having lived in the country for more than a year, they will haul your ... to jail, and possibly deport your ... out of the country.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.