FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Japan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan-509/)
-   -   English guide on how to read a Japanese DL (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan/1437817-english-guide-how-read-japanese-dl.html)

NickW Feb 12, 2013 11:08 am

English guide on how to read a Japanese DL

So long story short, I'm trying to get the local Road Traffic Office in India to understand my Japanese driving licence. I have a certified translation, but of course that doesn't entirely help, since it indicates merely I have a "normal" licence for driving "regular" vehicles.

Mr Officious at the RTO wants something more than that. Is anyone in possession of, or do they have a pointer to, an official-looking guide on how to interpret a Japanese driving licence that is written in English?

hailstorm Feb 12, 2013 2:50 pm

Something like this? Or even more detailed?

http://www.budgetrentacar.jp/common/image/sample01.gif

jib71 Feb 12, 2013 3:06 pm

Perhaps this Wikipedia article on Japanese vehicle classifications will satisfy the RTO? It provides some information about the meaning of "normal": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle...ss#cite_note-3

Sure, it's Wikipedia, so Mr. Officious might not accept it. If that's the case, you might be able to find an English translation of the Japanese documents that it cites.

5khours Feb 12, 2013 7:17 pm

IMHO it's possible this problem might be easily solved by paying the officer a "translation" fee.

jib71 Feb 13, 2013 1:24 am

Originally Posted by 5khours (Post 20235762)
IMHO it's possible this problem might be easily solved by paying the officer a "translation" fee.

Depending on the OP's level of experience in the country, he might do well to get a local to propose and negotiate this "translation fee" on his behalf. This should mitigate the possible consequences of a "misunderstanding".

hailstorm Feb 13, 2013 1:36 am

If the official were able to assist with the help of a "translation fee", I assume that he would have already taken the initiative to propose such a solution?

jib71 Feb 13, 2013 2:22 am

Originally Posted by hailstorm (Post 20237334)
If the official were able to assist with the help of a "translation fee", I assume that he would have already taken the initiative to propose such a solution?

I'm not familiar with the culture. You may be right. All the more reason to rely on local experts to navigate through this.

ksandness Feb 13, 2013 9:20 am

India has a multitude of very low-cost translation agencies, much to the dismay of us translators in Western countries. Since a translation of a driver's license doesn't have to be elegant prose, perhaps you could find one of them to translate your driver's license for literally pennies per word.

NickW Feb 13, 2013 12:19 pm

I already have a certified translation; which is the really annoying thing. I have already provided the Wikipedia page too.

They are asking questions like "where does it indicate this it is a Class 1 licence?", and do not seem satisfied that Class 1 gives a subset of the rights of Class 2 and that these are the only classes that exist.

I've only been in India for six months, but I already recognise this type of behaviour as the prelude to a suggestion that a gratuity will ease the way.

hailstorm Feb 13, 2013 3:10 pm

Sometimes I wish that such gratuities were accepted in Japan. I had to take the driving test to convert my license four times before I finally met their petty requirements that only apply on the test course...

5khours Feb 13, 2013 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by hailstorm (Post 20241558)
Sometimes I wish that such gratuities were accepted in Japan. I had to take the driving test to convert my license four times before I finally met their petty requirements that only apply on the test course...

International license works pretty well in Japan. Easy to pick up at a AAA office.

hailstorm Feb 13, 2013 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by 5khours (Post 20244363)
International license works pretty well in Japan. Easy to pick up at a AAA office.

Only for the first year you are in Japan. After that, converting to a Japanese license is mandatory.

5khours Feb 14, 2013 1:54 am

Originally Posted by hailstorm (Post 20244433)
Only for the first year you are in Japan. After that, converting to a Japanese license is mandatory.

Officially yes.

jib71 Feb 14, 2013 2:18 am

Originally Posted by 5khours (Post 20244732)
Officially yes.

Yeah. Well, unofficially I expect you can carry on using your international license for several years ... provided you have no reason to interact with the law. But if, for instance, you have a prang and the rozzers get involved, I would expect reality to match the official position - and the lack of a valid license could create some problems. Do you know different?

hailstorm Feb 14, 2013 5:07 am

Originally Posted by 5khours (Post 20244732)
Officially yes.

Officially nothing. It was a cool loophole 15 years ago, but now if they find you using nothing but a valid international license while having lived in the country for more than a year, they will haul your ... to jail, and possibly deport your ... out of the country.