Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus: IHG Rewards Club & InterContinental Ambassador membership extension

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 12, 2020, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: blindman
UPDATE - 23rd April 2020

Status will be extended through to January 2022 (please wait for it to reflect in accounts. IHG say this will happen 'in the coming weeks'

Spire members will receive another choice benefit

See this post for links to IHG page https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32317728-post77.html

12th March 2020 Change in Requalification Requirement for IHG Status

In regard to the situation with the ongoing Coronavirus, IHG Rewards Club changed the requirment for earnng and requalification of Rewards Club Status

Gold: 7000 points / 7 nights (regular 10000 points / 10 nights)
Platinum: 30000 points / 30 nights (regular 40000 points / 40 nights)
Spire: 55000 points / 55 nights (regular 75000 points / 75 nights)

Link: https://www.ihg.com/content/gb/en/customer-care/travel-advisory

Please note, that IHG also mentions, that it may take up to 4 weeks until the updated information is available in the account overview.

Ambassador Status: extended for 3 months (China seems to be 6 months)
Royal Ambassador: will be extended through January 2022. The thread about this is here

For discussion of an extension of the Ambassador free night certificate see this thread.

For discussion on cancellations of stays (general bookings) see this thread.
For discusson on cancelations of stay in regard to events, conference, etc which are canceled, see this thread.

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus: IHG Rewards Club & InterContinental Ambassador membership extension

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2020, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA 3.6MM, AF/KL Lifetime Plat, BA Gold, AA 1MM, IC Spire RA, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, et alia
I have 62,000 points to date so I should already be requalified for 2021 Spire based on the lowered thresholds, but I don't see any Spire expiration date.
(Royal) Ambassador still says 12/31/2020 expiration. Kimpton ditto.

I haven't heard of Royal Ambassador or Ambassador Status extensions, despite the title of this thread (which seems to talk only about Ambassador Certificate extensions). But I would hope they happen; I am at 15 IC nights to date but it looks like I'll be stalled until May or June before it starts picking up.

Spire is a yawn.

Last edited by vsevolod4; Apr 8, 2020 at 1:51 pm
Old Apr 8, 2020, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by vsevolod4

Spire is a yawn.
Wash your mouth out with soap. You are talking about my greatest achievement in 58 yrs of existence on this planet
Old Apr 8, 2020, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by vsevolod4
I have 62,000 points to date so I should already be requalified for 2021 Spire based on the lowered thresholds, but I don't see any Spire expiration date.
(Royal) Ambassador still says 12/31/2020 expiration. Kimpton ditto.

I haven't heard of Royal Ambassador or Ambassador Status extensions, despite the title of this thread (which seems to talk only about Ambassador Certificate extensions). But I would hope they happen; I am at 15 IC nights to date but it looks like I'll be stalled until May or June before it starts picking up.

Spire is a yawn.
Please read post 1 and the thead title properly which refects the email sent out by IHG in March and which you should have also received.

It clearly states RA will be reviewed on an ongoing basis.

Certifiate extensions are a different matter and have their own thread and aren't even mentioned in the thread title.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 6:19 am

Programs: DL Plat, PC Spire, Amex Reserve, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Hyatt just followed Hilton in extending my status into 2022. Hopefully IC will jump on the bandwagon.
Marriott too now just extended. My loyal Priority Club only chain that I know of with reduced achievement levels and I am concerned the longer I am kept at home for work. Reduced qualifying targets may not allow me to keep Spire. I hope Priority Club changes their tune.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 7:19 am

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
My Ambassador and Amb Weekend night extended from April 1 to July 1.
I doubt it is useful but something is better than nothing.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 7:03 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, United Gold, IHG Amb Plat, HHonors Diamond(Aspire), Bonvoy LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I've been Spire AMB for 6 or 7 years now... my exp date for AMB was 4/1/2020... That day has come and gone with nary a word from IHG. I do have 40k points or so already this year so could probably qualify again for Spire at the reduced spend, but I only have 1 more year for Lifetime Plat from Bonvoy as well as Hilton Diamond through AMEX, so as much as I like IC's, it looks I might be done with them. Guess that all depends on what transpires as the year goes by. I just don't see spending $$ or points right now to renew AMB.

Last edited by kabroui; Apr 9, 2020 at 7:09 pm
Old Apr 14, 2020, 3:40 am
hmv

Kabroui, just contact IHG through [email protected], sounds like your extension has not been processed yet. By emailing they can do it manually.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
My extended date (from 1st September 2020 to 1st December 2020 came through over night.

EDIT - I emailed them about the voucher and response received in a couple of hours

They 'redemmed' the old voucher and issued a new one to match the new expiry date.

Last edited by UKtravelbear; Apr 22, 2020 at 9:48 am
Old Apr 23, 2020, 12:03 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
IHG Finally Extending Elite Status to Jan 2022

IHG announced yesterday 22nd April, they are extending memberships out 12months due to Corona Virus (finally catch up with HH,, MR etc)

At long last IHG have woken up. To be fair they were first with reduction in points/Spend needed, but have sadly been last in extending tiers without need to atually requalify during 2020

22nd April announcement: (refers to @Rewards , not Ambassador/RA)

We are automatically extending all members’ program status through January 2022. This allows our members to enjoy all of the benefits they earned in 2019. This is in addition to our previously announced changes, including the below highlights:

Elite qualification requirement reduction by 25 percent
InterContinental Ambassador complimentary status Free Night expiration extensions for 3-months (for members as of March 15, 2020)
Anniversary Free Night Certificate expiration extensions through Dec. 31, 2020, for our US and UK card members, and certificates issued in 2020 will have an 18-month redemption period
Old Apr 23, 2020, 12:05 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Loyalty lobby article link regards this too

https://loyaltylobby.com/2020/04/22/...e-to-covid-19/
Old Apr 23, 2020, 12:12 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Saw that, surprised John (from LL) seems to be of the view that this brings IHG in line with Hilton or Hyatt or so. For pure status extensions more so, but for Free Night Certs (especially Ambassador ones) the 3 months is a far cry from what others offer. Hyatt extended free night certs till 31/12/2021, now that is generous and not the nonsense IHG offers.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 2:04 am

Programs: LH, BA, AA
How can I see the expiration? I see they’ve extended my Ambassador for 3 months.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 4:24 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
My extended date (from 1st September 2020 to 1st December 2020 came through over night.

EDIT - I emailed them about the voucher and response received in a couple of hours

They 'redemmed' the old voucher and issued a new one to match the new expiry date.
spire AMB. nothing extended yet. anyone else? thought everyone is done by now. guess i have to email.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 5:16 am

Programs: Oneworld, Avios and IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by GundamWing01
spire AMB. nothing extended yet. anyone else? thought everyone is done by now. guess i have to email.
My Ambassador expiry date has recently been extended from 1 July to 1 October but my Weekend Voucher is still set at July
Old Apr 23, 2020, 5:34 am

Programs: Oneworld, Avios and IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by LHSEN
How can I see the expiration? I see they’ve extended my Ambassador for 3 months.
Open the IHG App and rotate your device into landscape mode and your membership card should appear, with the expiry date on it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.