Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus: IHG Rewards Club & InterContinental Ambassador membership extension

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 12, 2020, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: blindman
UPDATE - 23rd April 2020

Status will be extended through to January 2022 (please wait for it to reflect in accounts. IHG say this will happen 'in the coming weeks'

Spire members will receive another choice benefit

See this post for links to IHG page https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32317728-post77.html

12th March 2020 Change in Requalification Requirement for IHG Status

In regard to the situation with the ongoing Coronavirus, IHG Rewards Club changed the requirment for earnng and requalification of Rewards Club Status

Gold: 7000 points / 7 nights (regular 10000 points / 10 nights)
Platinum: 30000 points / 30 nights (regular 40000 points / 40 nights)
Spire: 55000 points / 55 nights (regular 75000 points / 75 nights)

Link: https://www.ihg.com/content/gb/en/customer-care/travel-advisory

Please note, that IHG also mentions, that it may take up to 4 weeks until the updated information is available in the account overview.

Ambassador Status: extended for 3 months (China seems to be 6 months)
Royal Ambassador: will be extended through January 2022. The thread about this is here

For discussion of an extension of the Ambassador free night certificate see this thread.

For discussion on cancellations of stays (general bookings) see this thread.
For discusson on cancelations of stay in regard to events, conference, etc which are canceled, see this thread.

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus: IHG Rewards Club & InterContinental Ambassador membership extension

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2021, 7:17 am

Programs: IC Amb.,FB,Hertz,Sixt
I have also not had a new spire benefit this year though I did qualify last year, I had thought it might be because they made me spire until end Dec 22 last Feb but it seems others don’t have it either .
Old Feb 21, 2021, 11:05 pm

Programs: Korean Air Morning Calm, Hertz President's Circle, Avis Preferred Plus and IHG Spire Ambassador
I re-qualified for Spire with points, but did not get a choice benefit initially. It was an agonizing e-mail exchange where I had to educate CS about it, but one rep finally deposited one (not two). Some were confused and said I already redeemed one last year...
Old Feb 26, 2021, 12:09 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by demue
The fact that your Bogo got extended as well together with the once a lifetime 6 months extension is not the norm and you should be very happy about that. We did the same and the BOGO was left to expire and only AMB status was extended. Hence my view that IHG handled this entire AMB extensions terribly and apparently even arbitrarily. YMMV.
I just got off the phone with AMB CS as my AMB is expiring 6/30/21 as is my BOGO. I asked about any further COVID relief extensions and there are none as of now. I asked about the 6 month once-in-a-lifetime extension and specifically if that extends the BOGO. The agent had to ask her supervisor, and when she came back she told me that it extends both. I asked her to note my record in some manner, as I'll wait until closer to 6/30 to do it if needed. I have her name and info, so will see if I need to use it.
Old Feb 26, 2021, 2:13 am

A little off topic, but how long after renewing Spire can you reach out to request your 25k bonus benefit?
Old Feb 26, 2021, 6:43 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Royal Ambassador , CM Presidential, Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by sermasri
I complete recent above of 75k Qualifying Points. With this I get this year Spire but not receive Spire Elite Choice Benefit.

I see in my account complete for Spire but I don’t have idea what happens with this benefit.
I confirm that i received today the Spire Elite Choice Benefit.
Old Mar 13, 2021, 5:35 pm

i guess IHG is really delaying the choice benefits that come from the COVID extensions. that kinda makes sense because its essentially free money. marriott is doing the same thing taking their sweet time for the choice benefits.

Last edited by GundamWing01; Mar 13, 2021 at 6:14 pm
Old Mar 24, 2021, 9:13 am

Programs: TK/QR Gold, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, Avis/Hertz PC
Ambassador status was going to expire next week, so I emailed for the one-time 6 month extension and both status and BOGO got extended to 1 October within half an hour.
Old Mar 24, 2021, 9:28 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Savage25
Ambassador status was going to expire next week, so I emailed for the one-time 6 month extension and both status and BOGO got extended to 1 October within half an hour.
I'm in the same position, I sent a message through the IHG website about 2 weeks ago with no response. Can I ask which email address you used?
Old Mar 27, 2021, 6:54 am

Programs: TK/QR Gold, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, Avis/Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Keefy-boy
I'm in the same position, I sent a message through the IHG website about 2 weeks ago with no response. Can I ask which email address you used?
[email protected]
Old Mar 27, 2021, 7:16 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Savage25
Thanks. I managed to find it a couple of days ago and can report a very swift response and successful outcome (6 months extension of Ambassador and BOGO).
Old Mar 27, 2021, 11:34 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Interesting that they now seem to extend the BOGO by 6 months as well. Back in Oct 2020 when we requested the 6 months extension they only did so for AMB membership and refused to extend the certificate which sadly had to expire.

Good if they changed that approach, but too late for that account and the reason we will not renew it until needed (status or a new cert), probably some time in 2022.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 2:31 am

Originally Posted by demue
Interesting that they now seem to extend the BOGO by 6 months as well. Back in Oct 2020 when we requested the 6 months extension they only did so for AMB membership and refused to extend the certificate which sadly had to expire.

Good if they changed that approach, but too late for that account and the reason we will not renew it until needed (status or a new cert), probably some time in 2022.
if youre still able to use it, ask again. clearly its possible based on prior DPs. its always about HUCA, but YMMV.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 2:33 am

Originally Posted by jaytw
Has anyone received their “early January” Spire Elite Choice benefits yet for status earned in 2019 (not 2020)?
Originally Posted by ymx
I'm guessing that's a typo and you meant to say "status earned in 2020 (not 2021)?" I would like to know as well.

Also, as a reminder, I was informed by the Director of Global Customer Care back in July that all Spire members whose status was extended through January 2022 will receive the Spire Elite Choice Benefit whether or not they requalified for Spire the "normal" way through stays or points.
Originally Posted by ymx
Anybody receive their Spire Elite Choice Benefit yet?
COVID based spire extension choice benefit finally hit my account on 03/24/2021. i assume its the same for everyone else.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 4:34 am

Programs: IC Ambassador, IHG Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Miles & More FT
I recently asked for 6 months extension of Ambassador membership. Positive reply arrived in few days and status has been extended few days later. Unfortunately AMB weekend certificate date remain unchanged. Should I write an email and ask for that to be extended?

On the other hand was positively surprised with 25 tk points choice benefit that actually wasn't earned in 2020., but given as corona good will!
Old Apr 1, 2021, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Yes write and politly point out the inconsistent application of the voucher extension

see also this thread for other experiences on people having vouchers extended but some not having it extended

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inte...bership-5.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.