Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus: IHG Rewards Club & InterContinental Ambassador membership extension

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 12, 2020, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: blindman
UPDATE - 23rd April 2020

Status will be extended through to January 2022 (please wait for it to reflect in accounts. IHG say this will happen 'in the coming weeks'

Spire members will receive another choice benefit

See this post for links to IHG page https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32317728-post77.html

12th March 2020 Change in Requalification Requirement for IHG Status

In regard to the situation with the ongoing Coronavirus, IHG Rewards Club changed the requirment for earnng and requalification of Rewards Club Status

Gold: 7000 points / 7 nights (regular 10000 points / 10 nights)
Platinum: 30000 points / 30 nights (regular 40000 points / 40 nights)
Spire: 55000 points / 55 nights (regular 75000 points / 75 nights)

Link: https://www.ihg.com/content/gb/en/customer-care/travel-advisory

Please note, that IHG also mentions, that it may take up to 4 weeks until the updated information is available in the account overview.

Ambassador Status: extended for 3 months (China seems to be 6 months)
Royal Ambassador: will be extended through January 2022. The thread about this is here

For discussion of an extension of the Ambassador free night certificate see this thread.

For discussion on cancellations of stays (general bookings) see this thread.
For discusson on cancelations of stay in regard to events, conference, etc which are canceled, see this thread.

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus: IHG Rewards Club & InterContinental Ambassador membership extension

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2020, 8:13 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I guess we all believe the numbers and reports by any of the governments (incl. the Chinese one), but alas these are individual decisions whether to travel or not. Keeping status is very low on my priority list right now. YMMV.

Now I wouldn't mind if IHG would finally come around and extend the validity of all types of Free Night Certs though (CC, RA, AMB) like Hilton did. So far nothing on that front.

Stay healthy everyone.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 12:58 am

Programs: AC,CX,KE,EK / IHG Spire, 1865 Gateway
Woohoo spire elite status extended until December 31, 2021! Thanks IHG!
Old Mar 16, 2020, 3:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Oh that's good.

Nothing for me yet but TBH status of anything - hotels / airlines / tufty club* - is very low down on my list of things to worry about.

* obscure British reference of the day
Old Mar 16, 2020, 6:20 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Oh that's good.

Nothing for me yet but TBH status of anything - hotels / airlines / tufty club* - is very low down on my list of things to worry about.

* obscure British reference of the day
Same here and my elite status with IHG is the last thing I am worried about ....
Old Mar 16, 2020, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I'm not worried about status either. I am mostly worried about the daily workers at the hotels who will be sent home without any sufficient compensation. That is why I was happy to stay at IC's all last week and eat and drink in the hotel. I helped keep a few more people employed for a few more days. I do not yet have a business reason to travel this week and maybe not much for several weeks.

I am also worried about hotel owners deciding to shut the doors for a year or more to close off any expenses on their end. I seriously believe the panic steps that people and governments are taking will have a much worse effect on our society than the coronavirus.
FLYGVA and nrgetik like this.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 10:16 am

Does anyone know if you have more than 55 days if that will roll over to the following year? Instead of the usual 75.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 5:26 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Same here with Spire status till 31 Dec 2021. Oddly it was showing that already for a while and not just the recently. Either way, thanks IHG.

Now how about extending those free night certificates of all sorts?
Old Mar 17, 2020, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
The IC Marseille just announced they are shutting down the hotel. Temporarily. I bet there will be many others shutting down. So it would be likely that all expirations are postponed in the program.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 11:25 am

Programs: UA Premier Silver, AA, DL, IHG Diamond Amb, Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, National
That some people have their Spire Elite status already extended to 2021 is interesting. I just checked my account and found this:
Maintain Elite Status
You are currently an IHG® Rewards Club Elite member. To maintain your Elite status, either stay at least 10 qualifying nights with us or earn 10,000 qualifying points, within this calendar year. Discover all your earning options as a member, and refer to the FAQ for more information about program details.

I already have more than 10,000 qualifying points, and have had them for a while, but have not yet seen the extension. Guessing that time will tell....
And sure would love to know if they will give us an extension on the uncapped Chase night! Mine expires April 1, and was all set to use it next week in Australia. Not happening now...
Old Mar 17, 2020, 11:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
My status is still showing as expiring at the end of this year. For those who have had it extended until the end of 2021, did you do anything extra?
Old Mar 17, 2020, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, AA, DL, IHG Diamond Amb, Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, National
BusinessCasualSport, Did you click on the "Maintain Elite Status" link to see what it said? That's where I found the language about needing just 10,000 points this year to maintain status.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by bob12403
BusinessCasualSport, Did you click on the "Maintain Elite Status" link to see what it said? That's where I found the language about needing just 10,000 points this year to maintain status.
It is the same as the paragraph you posted earlier. Does that mean if i stay 10 additional nights, my status will be extended through 2021?
Old Mar 17, 2020, 1:08 pm

Programs: SAS Diamond, Hilton Diamond, IHG RA Spire
30.000 EQP, Spire extended to 12/21. Royal Ambassador and Inner Circle both says expiration 12/20.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by BusinessCasualSport
It is the same as the paragraph you posted earlier. Does that mean if i stay 10 additional nights, my status will be extended through 2021?
It clearly (something IHG is not known for) states "...either stay at least 10 qualifying nights with us or earn 10,000 qualifying points, within this calendar year. I don't see how they could say that means starting today, you need 10 nights or 10K QP. I will post if my status changes, please do the same.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 11:15 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
My Spire showed end of 2021 right on renewal

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.