Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus: IHG Rewards Club & InterContinental Ambassador membership extension

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 12, 2020, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: blindman
UPDATE - 23rd April 2020

Status will be extended through to January 2022 (please wait for it to reflect in accounts. IHG say this will happen 'in the coming weeks'

Spire members will receive another choice benefit

See this post for links to IHG page https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32317728-post77.html

12th March 2020 Change in Requalification Requirement for IHG Status

In regard to the situation with the ongoing Coronavirus, IHG Rewards Club changed the requirment for earnng and requalification of Rewards Club Status

Gold: 7000 points / 7 nights (regular 10000 points / 10 nights)
Platinum: 30000 points / 30 nights (regular 40000 points / 40 nights)
Spire: 55000 points / 55 nights (regular 75000 points / 75 nights)

Link: https://www.ihg.com/content/gb/en/customer-care/travel-advisory

Please note, that IHG also mentions, that it may take up to 4 weeks until the updated information is available in the account overview.

Ambassador Status: extended for 3 months (China seems to be 6 months)
Royal Ambassador: will be extended through January 2022. The thread about this is here

For discussion of an extension of the Ambassador free night certificate see this thread.

For discussion on cancellations of stays (general bookings) see this thread.
For discusson on cancelations of stay in regard to events, conference, etc which are canceled, see this thread.

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus: IHG Rewards Club & InterContinental Ambassador membership extension

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2020, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
My dates have yet to change from their existing 2020 ones.

i'm feeling left out!
Old Mar 26, 2020, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
My status is still unchanged from 2020 as well. I wonder if we'll get the extension. I already have 67k qualifying points this year and even though I meet the new requirements for Spire (55 nights/55k points), my account says i'm still pushing for 75k. Not too bothered by the lack of consistency, just confused. Hilton seems to have done it right, and I've been thinking of switching over to their program. It seems with their top tier credit the points return can still be as lucrative as with IHG. Prices for Hilton award nights look to be higher. I'm going to have to try out some Hilton hotels this year if travel picks up again to see what they've got going on.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by BusinessCasualSport
Hilton seems to have done it right, and I've been thinking of switching over to their program. It seems with their top tier credit the points return can still be as lucrative as with IHG. Prices for Hilton award nights look to be higher. I'm going to have to try out some Hilton hotels this year if travel picks up again to see what they've got going on.
I moved over to Hilton as my major stay programme. It feels good to have given myself a wider choice of accommodation, and Hilton properties usually win when it comes to value as a Diamond member vs what I can expect as a Spire

Hilton earnings are generous: but you are right, reward stays tend to be expensive in terms of points, though with very notable exceptions .

If you are Royal Ambassador then you are well taken care of by IC hotels.

But if you are Spire, fed up of begging for breakfast, the big Hilton plus is that as a Diamond member
  • you get breakfast at just about all Hilton family hotels whether it's a paid stay or a reward stay,
  • where there is a lounge you get to use it on paid and reward stays
  • reward stays count for membership status and get promotional stay points

Caveats are that US Hiltons are generally pretty grim in terms of benefits: and lounges everywhere tend to be more utilitarian than luxury- but outside Intercotinentals, the same could be said about IHG lounges.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 4:11 pm

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
Well mine is pretty crazy. I should of dropped to platinum this year but I’m still showing as Spire and I had the benefits when travelling in Feb.

Old Mar 26, 2020, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I moved over to Hilton as my major stay programme. It feels good to have given myself a wider choice of accommodation, and Hilton properties usually win when it comes to value as a Diamond member vs what I can expect as a Spire

Hilton earnings are generous: but you are right, reward stays tend to be expensive in terms of points, though with very notable exceptions .

If you are Royal Ambassador then you are well taken care of by IC hotels.

But if you are Spire, fed up of begging for breakfast, the big Hilton plus is that as a Diamond member
  • you get breakfast at just about all Hilton family hotels whether it's a paid stay or a reward stay,
  • where there is a lounge you get to use it on paid and reward stays
  • reward stays count for membership status and get promotional stay points

Caveats are that US Hiltons are generally pretty grim in terms of benefits: and lounges everywhere tend to be more utilitarian than luxury- but outside Intercotinentals, the same could be said about IHG lounges.
Thanks for the tips. How does the equivalent level Hilton breakfast compare to that of HI, HIX, and Crowne Plaza? These are the brands I stay at most although my favorite is the Kimpton. Free breakfast is cool, but I receive reimbursements. I guess this means I can always go out for a nicer dinner. Reward stays counting for status and receiving points is a pretty good perk. Sounds like an instant rebatel. Upgrades for IHG are alright. I usually only get upgraded when I'm staying in or near a big city. I don't see myself getting more upgrades by switching to Hilton. Another perk I enjoy with the IHG credit card is every 4th award night is free. Much better than every 5th night which is what Hilton and Marriott give. Perhaps free breakfast on award stays is a benefit to help level it off.

It'll just have to come down to me having to book a few stays. I realize we're getting off topic mods but I really appreciate the input. Thanks!
Old Mar 27, 2020, 4:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Thanks for the tips. How does the equivalent level Hilton breakfast compare to that of HI, HIX, and Crowne Plaza? These are the brands I stay at most although my favorite is the Kimpton. Free breakfast is cool, but I receive reimbursements. I guess this means I can always go out for a nicer dinner. Reward stays counting for status and receiving points is a pretty good perk. Sounds like an instant rebatel. Upgrades for IHG are alright. I usually only get upgraded when I'm staying in or near a big city. I don't see myself getting more upgrades by switching to Hilton. Another perk I enjoy with the IHG credit card is every 4th award night is free. Much better than every 5th night which is what Hilton and Marriott give. Perhaps free breakfast on award stays is a benefit to help level it off.

It'll just have to come down to me having to book a few stays. I realize we're getting off topic mods but I really appreciate the input. Thanks!

I travel mainly to and within Asia and South America, with a fair bit of Europe thrown in.

Upgrades seem a little less hit and miss than at Holiday inns and CPs, though of course they're nothing like as splendid as Royal Ambassador upgrades at Intercontinentals. But you have to remember there are an awful lot of Diamond members, an alternative route to membership being through affiliate memberships and credit cards.

Hilton (and Hilton family) breakfasts are fine, but i'm a toast and coffee guest, just occasionally tempted into something more exotic.

For example, I don't think you can expect anything better than the offer at Kuala Lumpur's two Hiltons, though the city's Intercontinental lounge offer does scrape ahead of both Hilton lounges (but the IC restaurant breakfast there is a rather sad zoo).

Where there's a Hilton lounge there's invariably the opportunity to use the main breakfast restaurant as well.

Clearly, if your breakfasts are covered, you'll be less thrilled at getting them free: but you might appreciate the rather more relaxed atmosphere in executive lounges at that time of day.

KL (to stick with my example) and other places in Asia have lounge-equipped Doubletrees, and these offer excellent value to Diamonds on paid and award stays .... but, to be fair, there are one or two excellent CPs that give lounge access and breakfast to Spires. As another example, DoubleTree Jakarta wins hands down over the tired, mean Crowne Plaza.

Hilton Garden Inns generally give HIX, and some HI, a run for their money.

You might see if the status match scheme is working, and give Hilton a try. Or just book an executive room at a Hilton to get an idea of whats on offer to Diamonds.

But note the Hilton benefits i describe in terms of breakfast and lounges seem to be null and void in most US cities!
Old Apr 1, 2020, 8:27 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
So did I read that incorrectly or was IHG going to extend AMB status for 3 months from current membership year?

I understand that there are many pressing issues to attend to, but has anyone seen that happening yet? We have an account that will expire 1 May 2020 so nor too far out so would be nice if IHG could get around implementing such a "sweep update" of all qualifying accounts at some point.

Of course, similarly an official position by IHG on extensions of expiring AMB certificates (which align to the AMB expiry) would be splendid.

The only thing IHG seems to be able to do for our impacted account is to prompt / promote AMB renewal at the moment.
​​
Old Apr 2, 2020, 12:58 am

Programs: BA Blue, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold
My status is still unchanged from 2020 as well. I wonder if we'll get the extension. I already have 67k qualifying points this year and even though I meet the new requirements for Spire (55 nights/55k points), my account says i'm still pushing for 75k. Not too bothered by the lack of consistency, just confused. Hilton seems to have done it right, and I've been thinking of switching over to their program. It seems with their top tier credit the points return can still be as lucrative as with IHG. Prices for Hilton award nights look to be higher. I'm going to have to try out some Hilton hotels this year if travel picks up again to see what they've got going on.
My wife’s status updated to Spire overnight with 67k points so hopefully you should be Spire now too...
Old Apr 2, 2020, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Hyatt just followed Hilton in extending my status into 2022. Hopefully IC will jump on the bandwagon.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 4:53 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Silver, IHG Platinum Elite, Qatar Privilege Club
Originally Posted by demue
So did I read that incorrectly or was IHG going to extend AMB status for 3 months from current membership year?​​
My Ambassador status has been extended by 3 months
Old Apr 6, 2020, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
So the reduced requirements are now showing in my account,

No nchange in my AMB date yet though ...
Old Apr 6, 2020, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
So the reduced requirements are now showing in my account,

No nchange in my AMB date yet though ...
I’ve just noticed the extension is showing on the mobile app but not on the IHG website
Old Apr 7, 2020, 3:21 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Exsilver
I’ve just noticed the extension is showing on the mobile app but not on the IHG website
In our case, both website and app (Android) still show 1 MAy 2020. Also if you check IHG's latets COVID-19 policies there is nothing about extending AMB + FWNC by any duration. Only under the greater China policy can you get a 6 months extension of AMB membership and AMB certificate. I posted some more details in the other thread here focused on AMB Cert extension.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 4:26 am

My AMB status has been extended by 3 months as per an email I received from the CEO of IHG who said it would happen.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by Eskimoboy
My wife’s status updated to Spire overnight with 67k points so hopefully you should be Spire now too...
Thanks for the update. Status showing expiration of 12/31/2021.

Last edited by BusinessCasualSport; Apr 8, 2020 at 1:30 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.