FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador-426/)
-   -   Coronavirus: IHG Rewards Club & InterContinental Ambassador membership extension (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador/2012459-coronavirus-ihg-rewards-club-intercontinental-ambassador-membership-extension.html)

UKtravelbear Mar 11, 2020 6:41 pm

Coronavirus: IHG Rewards Club & InterContinental Ambassador membership extension

Seen this in passing on a couple of other threads but thought it was worth one of its own due to its significance.

Changes in earning requirements for Gold, Platinum and Spire

With more constrained travel plans and a shorter time period during which members can earn Elite tier status, we are reducing the Elite membership criteria required (nights or points) this year by 25% or more:
There is then a link to this table https://www.ihg.com/content/gb/en/cu...ravel-advisory I've just listed the new 2020 figures

Revised criteria

Gold - 7 qualifying nights or 7,000 qualifying points
Platinum - 30 nights or 30,000 points
Spire - 55 nights or 55,000 points

Extention of Ambassador Membership by 3 months

Alongside this, we are also providing a complimentary three-month extension to your InterContinental Ambassador membership. In line with our usual process, membership of our invitational Royal Ambassador tier will be reviewed on an ongoing basis.

These changes will be reflected in member accounts in the coming weeks.

TravelinSperry Mar 11, 2020 7:13 pm

55 nights... possibly doable... well except for the fact that I can't travel abroad now due to Covid-19. Ugh.

Temedar Mar 11, 2020 9:59 pm

I wonder if they'll also extend the validity of the AMB Weekend certificate

Eskimoboy Mar 12, 2020 1:42 am

My wife is at 64000 points but still Platinum so I guess the changes haven’t propagated through IHG IT yet. Still it’s good that they’re showing some flexibility

Akoz Mar 12, 2020 1:56 am

Originally Posted by Eskimoboy (Post 32172758)
My wife is at 64000 points but still Platinum so I guess the changes haven’t propagated through IHG IT yet. Still it’s good that they’re showing some flexibility

Further information on the website says please allow up to four weeks for the systems to be updated.

Stuttgart21 Mar 12, 2020 4:57 am

Originally Posted by Temedar (Post 32172213)

+1

stimpy Mar 12, 2020 6:14 am

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry (Post 32171414)
55 nights... possibly doable... well except for the fact that I can't travel abroad now due to Covid-19. Ugh.

There's still a lot of domestic IHG properties for most of us eh? I'm at an IC now and should hit 50 nights this weekend.

demue Mar 12, 2020 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by Temedar (Post 32172213)

Me too. We have one expiring May 1 and if Thailand tightens restrictions and quarantine regulations further we won't be able to use it at IC Hua Hin as planned and can't really change to other place. IHG should definitely extend them for 6+ months / end of year like Hyatt did with it's free nights and Suite Nights awards and such.

demue Mar 12, 2020 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy (Post 32173537)
There's still a lot of domestic IHG properties for most of us eh? I'm at an IC now and should hit 50 nights this weekend.

In the US maybe, over here in Asia not so much , but then loyalty status doesn't really matter that much in the current situation in my book at least.

TravelinSperry Mar 13, 2020 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy (Post 32173537)

Domestically I lean towards Marriott and Hilton... IHG is my tertiary chain as it doesn't have properties in good locales in many of the cities I visit. Abroad however, IHG is much more commonly used (by me at least).

stimpy Mar 13, 2020 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by demue (Post 32176883)
In the US maybe, over here in Asia not so much , but then loyalty status doesn't really matter that much in the current situation in my book at least.

Aren't there more IC's in China than the US? Several in Thailand and Japan too.

demue Mar 13, 2020 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy (Post 32180713)
Aren't there more IC's in China than the US? Several in Thailand and Japan too.

And you would gladly hop over to China in the current situation to gain loyalty status? YMMV, not me.

stimpy Mar 14, 2020 11:26 am

Originally Posted by demue (Post 32182177)
And you would gladly hop over to China in the current situation to gain loyalty status? YMMV, not me.

If I had a business reason of course I would go. From what I've read, China is now the safest place to be with few new cases. I have not slowed down my travel at all. I few to the US 6 days ago and have been on the move every day.

Flying Lawyer Mar 14, 2020 10:42 pm

As per today probably better than Europe and for sure better than the US in terms of Corona.

craigthemif Mar 15, 2020 6:40 am

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer (Post 32186840)
As per today probably better than Europe and for sure better than the US in terms of Corona.

Yep... if it weren't for the fact that I could possibly be carrying the virus with me without showing symptoms, I'd have no problems heading to Hong Kong, South Korea etc. Safer than Europe / US with more hospital capacity if needed.

It's certainly time for people to recognise that this is long past being a "China virus".