Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus: IHG Rewards Club & InterContinental Ambassador membership extension

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 12, 2020, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: blindman
UPDATE - 23rd April 2020

Status will be extended through to January 2022 (please wait for it to reflect in accounts. IHG say this will happen 'in the coming weeks'

Spire members will receive another choice benefit

See this post for links to IHG page https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32317728-post77.html

12th March 2020 Change in Requalification Requirement for IHG Status

In regard to the situation with the ongoing Coronavirus, IHG Rewards Club changed the requirment for earnng and requalification of Rewards Club Status

Gold: 7000 points / 7 nights (regular 10000 points / 10 nights)
Platinum: 30000 points / 30 nights (regular 40000 points / 40 nights)
Spire: 55000 points / 55 nights (regular 75000 points / 75 nights)

Link: https://www.ihg.com/content/gb/en/customer-care/travel-advisory

Please note, that IHG also mentions, that it may take up to 4 weeks until the updated information is available in the account overview.

Ambassador Status: extended for 3 months (China seems to be 6 months)
Royal Ambassador: will be extended through January 2022. The thread about this is here

For discussion of an extension of the Ambassador free night certificate see this thread.

For discussion on cancellations of stays (general bookings) see this thread.
For discusson on cancelations of stay in regard to events, conference, etc which are canceled, see this thread.

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus: IHG Rewards Club & InterContinental Ambassador membership extension

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2020, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Article on Head for Points - https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/0...december-2021/

If you are spire

You will automatically receive ANOTHER ‘choice’ benefit allowing you to claim either 25,000 free IHG Rewards Club points or gift Platinum Elite status to a friend.

Please note that this is not active now. It will take IHG a few weeks to extend memberships and, for Spire Elite members, attach the new ‘choice’ benefit to your account.
And from IHG itself - in the IHG rewards club updates

And this - so please bear it in mind

This change will be automatically reflected in member accounts in the coming weeks

Last edited by UKtravelbear; Apr 23, 2020 at 6:55 am
Old Apr 23, 2020, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Update

See the Rewards Club Update section
  • All members’ program status will be automatically extended through January 2022, allowing members to enjoy all the benefits of the status they earned during 2019.
    • For Spire Elite members this includes the Choice benefit of 25,000 bonus points or gifting of Platinum Elite status to someone each year
    • This change will be automatically reflected in member accounts in the coming weeks.
FLYGVA and Boraxo like this.

Last edited by FLYGVA; Apr 23, 2020 at 9:42 am Reason: corrected link
Old Apr 23, 2020, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by Bloobell
My Ambassador expiry date has recently been extended from 1 July to 1 October but my Weekend Voucher is still set at July
Ditto. Nice to have status until end of summer, but I need the weekend cert as well (and preferably thru 12/31)
Old Apr 23, 2020, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by GundamWing01
spire AMB. nothing extended yet. anyone else? thought everyone is done by now. guess i have to email.
You should see the new Ambassador expiry date on the virtual card you can link to from your online account page. It should show 6-months beyond your original expiry date, since this is the second 3-month expiry extension. (The email's a bit confusing on that point, not referencing the original one given two months ago.) The extended Rewards date doesn't show anywhere yet.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Us RA's just got extended to January 2022. So perhaps an equal AMB extension is coming soon. And they will give us another free night in 2021.
scubaccr likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Just received an IHG email which said that Ambassador membership and BOGO weekend night will be extended 3 months.

As previously reported, my Ambassador shows online with new exp. date, but weekend night still has old exp. date.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 7:48 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Shareholder
It should show 6-months beyond your original expiry date, since this is the second 3-month expiry extension. (The email's a bit confusing on that point, not referencing the original one given two months ago.) The extended Rewards date doesn't show anywhere yet.
There are no 2x 3 months extensions on our accounts so far, it would be nice though (only Greater China gets 6 months AMB extension if I can trust Google translate). It is one time so far and that is way too short / too little in my book, We have two AMB accounts and both have been updated with a new expiry date 3 months out, but both AMB Certs still show the original expiration date. Queries to the AMB Service Center (as shared in the AMB Certificate thread) yielded the information that the certs will expire on the original day and then be replaced with a new one with the new expiry date that matches the 3 months extended AMB membership date. Go figure why it has to be that complicated, but that's what I got in writing from them. Doesn't exactly match some other posters experience, but only time will tell. YMMV.

Last edited by demue; Apr 23, 2020 at 11:47 pm
Old Apr 23, 2020, 7:50 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by stimpy
Us RA's just got extended to January 2022. So perhaps an equal AMB extension is coming soon. And they will give us another free night in 2021.
Well that would be something one couldn't complain about, so let's see. Hope dies last.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Ambassador extended for 3 months for me and I got the email about that. Free night cert not yet extended but that seems to be in line with what others have reported here.

What I'm not entirely clear about is whether my Spire status has been extended to Jan 22 regardless of my AMB membership, because unlike my wife who got an email about her Platinum status extension, I have not, so all I can see is the expiration of my AMB status. How do I even see my Spire expiration?
Old Apr 24, 2020, 5:32 am

Originally Posted by Bloobell
My Ambassador expiry date has recently been extended from 1 July to 1 October but my Weekend Voucher is still set at July
not for me. AMB date unchanged. Weekend Night cert also unchanged. but all other free night certs changed to December 31, 2020.

i bet they are prioritizing 2020 expiration dates of status and certs. my AMB status and certs expire 2021. no extn yet.

anyone here with no extension but w/ 2021 expiration dates?

EDIT: finally got AMB extension of 3 months today with a clear activity line item dated 04/24/20. not that it matters anyway. i fully expect AMB to get Jan 2022 based on recent announcements.

Originally Posted by Shareholder
You should see the new Ambassador expiry date on the virtual card you can link to from your online account page. It should show 6-months beyond your original expiry date, since this is the second 3-month expiry extension. (The email's a bit confusing on that point, not referencing the original one given two months ago.) The extended Rewards date doesn't show anywhere yet.
Originally Posted by demue
There are no 2x 3 months extensions on our accounts so far, it would be nice though (only Greater China gets 6 months AMB extension if I can trust Google translate). It is one time so far and that is way too short / too little in my book, We have two AMB accounts and both have been updated with a new expiry date 3 months out, but both AMB Certs still show the original expiration date.
appreciate the response, but can you clarify? so you had received 2 x 3mo extns? officially, there is no 6 month extn. its only 3 months. also ive received no emails, but the IHG travel update makes it very clear about the 3 month AMB extn (https://www.ihg.com/content/us/en/cu...6f00ca0a18050c).

however, i have read some DPs about the 6 mo extensions so maybe its a glitch? anyone else with 6 months for AMB?

also, can you tell me the email address used to send the notification?

dont get me started on IHG stupidity. its same level as UA. IHG felt pressure by watching all their competitors show their hand and now IHG has no choice but to scramble. thats why there is such disconnect. how can they extend all status and RA and IC into 2022, but AMB is only 3 month extn. HAHA. OK. sure...

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Update

See the Rewards Club Update section
  • All members’ program status will be automatically extended through January 2022, allowing members to enjoy all the benefits of the status they earned during 2019.
    • For Spire Elite members this includes the Choice benefit of 25,000 bonus points or gifting of Platinum Elite status to someone each year
    • This change will be automatically reflected in member accounts in the coming weeks.
anyone know when this new language was added? april 22nd or 23rd? did this new lang coincide with the status extension into 2022?

I am wondering if we will receive another set of spire 25k choice bonus pts in 2020 or 2021 after the extension. has anyone received another set of spire 25k choice bonus pts yet after their spire/RA/IC extn into 2022? if i wont see the choice until 2021, i need to set a calendar reminder for next year in case theres an IT glitch.

when does the choice benefit usually get loaded into the account? was it immediately after requalification?

also, its very strange to see status extn until jan 2022. doesnt IHG status usually end each calendar year anyway? so why jan 2022 vs dec 2021? could this mean they are following the "grace period" policy like hyatt and marriott?

EDIT: wait. i just realized for those who had already requal for spire in 2020 for 2021 will not get another 25k bonus points because they already got it earlier in the year? also status extension to Jan 2022 would be useless. kinda sucks.

Originally Posted by clubman
Ambassador extended for 3 months for me and I got the email about that. Free night cert not yet extended but that seems to be in line with what others have reported here.

What I'm not entirely clear about is whether my Spire status has been extended to Jan 22 regardless of my AMB membership, because unlike my wife who got an email about her Platinum status extension, I have not, so all I can see is the expiration of my AMB status. How do I even see my Spire expiration?
no email for me. sounds like everyone else got emails and got 3 month extensions. i guess i have to email or call.

to check spire status date separate from AMB, you have to use the app. i have android. i assume many here are iOS, but on android you clearly see the two different dates via profile (AMB date) and status tracker (spire date). you cant see this online which is stupid. web only shows AMB date. no spire.

Last edited by GundamWing01; Apr 24, 2020 at 2:33 pm
Old Apr 24, 2020, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by GundamWing01
dont get me started on IHG stupidity. its same level as UA. IHG felt pressure by watching all their competitors show their hand and now IHG has no choice but to scramble. thats why there is such disconnect. how can they extend all status and RA and IC into 2022, but AMB is only 3 month extn. HAHA. OK. sure.
If they just haven't gotten the AMB 2022 extension done yet, it has nothing to do with stupidity. These things take time. It makes sense to do the Rewards program first, then the AMB program. And it makes sense to do RA's before AMB's. It is only April. There is no rush.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 1:14 pm

If they just haven't gotten the AMB 2022 extension done yet, it has nothing to do with stupidity. These things take time. It makes sense to do the Rewards program first, then the AMB program. And it makes sense to do RA's before AMB's. It is only April. There is no rush.
you give IHG too much credit.

first, they busted out reduction in EQNs as if that made a difference. then they extended AMB by 3 months which was also useless and didnt even address RA/ICs. then they finally realized their mistake and extended IHG elite status to 12/31/21 which was confusing because their PR indicated "through" Jan 2022"? what? then afterwards, they extended RA/IC to Jan 2022. well, what about AMB? to add more confusion, some AMB got another 3 month extn. which totaled 6 months (outside china) with no clear explanation. all this would be acceptable in march, but not at the end of april when all other programs have made clear improvements.

as of today 4/24, their PR post still clearly states:

InterContinental Ambassador:
  • We have provided a complimentary three-month membership extension to members of our InterContinental Ambassador program (on 15 March 2020)

yes, IHG is being stupid. but i agree with you, IHG is now forced to extend AMB to Jan 2022 so i expect that soon. i just dont get why IHG didnt extend AMB to jan 2022 along with RA/IC vs useless 3 month baby steps.

Last edited by GundamWing01; Apr 25, 2020 at 3:20 pm
Old Apr 25, 2020, 3:55 am

Programs: IC Amb.,FB,Hertz,Sixt
I just saw on the website that my Spire membership card no longer has an expiry date , until now it has been showing as Jan2022 expiry ! My RA card still shows 31.12.20. Wonder what they are doing
Old Apr 25, 2020, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by ninjalad
I just saw on the website that my Spire membership card no longer has an expiry date , until now it has been showing as Jan2022 expiry ! My RA card still shows 31.12.20. Wonder what they are doing
can you clarify? online, you never see the spire membership exp date. its only the AMB date. which has been so frustrating and stupid. youre talking about the online red digital membership card carousel thing right? so you actually had an exp date shown? wow. ive never had that on mine. however, within the android app, you see both dates. i have no idea about iOS, but i see my AMB and Spire dates within different screens. its not all within the app profile page which is stupid. obviously theres a huge disconnect between the two dev teams and nobody has done any QA on them.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 8:49 am

Programs: IC Amb.,FB,Hertz,Sixt
No I could only see it when logging in with my laptop, it was def showing end of Jan 2022 for Spire

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.