Community
Wiki Posts
Search

InterContinental Bangkok Master Thread [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2008, 1:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Give it a month and they will be begging for us to come back...
Old Dec 16, 2008, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
I will write a mini report on the Grand Centara and lounge access across the street with pictures.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 6:06 pm

Programs: IHG
Centara Grand

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
I will write a mini report on the Grand Centara and lounge access across the street with pictures.
I am looking forward to your report on the Centara Grand at Central World.

I am staying in BKK for a week in mid January. I emailed the IC and offered $1200 for 7 nights on a room only basis, a fair offer in my opinion considering the current economic climate. The reply was as follows;

Dear Midnight

Sawasdee krub, Please be informed that we can offer a special rate for you for period of XXXXX January 2009 at THb 5,760++ (6,780 net) around USS 199 net per room per night(these rate is for room only not inclusive of breakfast). And the condition of Advance purchase rate is non refundable but you can postpone to other date. Alternatively there is a Best flexible rate which is not require for deposit and cancellation charge but the rate is THB 7,600++ (8,945 net) around US$ 263 net per room per night and not inclusive of breakfast.

Should you have any further inquiry you may need or to confirm your reservation, please do not hesitate to contact us at your convenient time.

We are look forward to seeing you soon.

Best Regards,

Name edited out by Midnight

I have decided not to pay the rates offered and will read your report on the Centara with much interest.

__________________________________________________ ____

Last edited by midnight; Dec 16, 2008 at 7:42 pm
Old Dec 16, 2008, 6:48 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, NWA WorldPerks deserter, Alaska Airlines Something-er-Other...
Question Question....

I don't have a lot of experience with the IC Bangkok (or IC's at all), but I signed up for Ambassador status and will be staying at the IC BKK at the end of the month.

I reserved/paid for a Club Room, and now I noticed that my reservation says I have a "1 KING BED CLUB INTERCONTINENTAL SUITE". So I'm looking at the website, and can't find a specific room with that title... I'm sure i'll end up in corner suite, no? Is that the name for a corner suite?

Also, what is the "gift" that we usually get as Ambassadors at this hotel? I'm curious! I read a few pages back that it was a dvd of some sort and wine. Still the case? Any input would be helpful and appreciated!
Thanks!
Paella747
Old Dec 16, 2008, 7:37 pm

IC Bangkok

Originally Posted by Paella747
I don't have a lot of experience with the IC Bangkok (or IC's at all), but I signed up for Ambassador status and will be staying at the IC BKK at the end of the month.

I reserved/paid for a Club Room, and now I noticed that my reservation says I have a "1 KING BED CLUB INTERCONTINENTAL SUITE". So I'm looking at the website, and can't find a specific room with that title... I'm sure i'll end up in corner suite, no? Is that the name for a corner suite?

Also, what is the "gift" that we usually get as Ambassadors at this hotel? I'm curious! I read a few pages back that it was a dvd of some sort and wine. Still the case? Any input would be helpful and appreciated!
Thanks!
Paella747
I have no doubt that you will enjoy your stay here.

At check in you will receive a complimentary drink voucher for the lobby bar. Use it in the evening when they have two lovely ladies singing, but beware it cannot be used for alcoholic cocktails.

Your room will have a bowl of exotic local fruits, three special chocolates, a couple of fancy biscuits, possibly a bottle of Australian red wine and a credit card sized CD with a computer program on it (although I have never got mine to load!!).

Make sure you introduce yourself to Atiphol the Chief Concierge. I have known him since the property was managed by Le Meriden Hotels. He's a true star.

If you are having breakfast prepare yourself for something very special.

Be sure to visit Central World, only 3 minutes walk, there are some fantastic restaurants (floors 6 & 7), many shops and a great cinema.

The corner suites are very spacious.

I hope that you enjoy your time here.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 3:38 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Official reply from IC BKK as for the new upgrade policy. They did not explain how there is now a difference between an upgrade to an Executive room for Amb vs. RA members. Maybe Amb won't get the Corner suite offered or get the Executive Deluxe room without the benefits which would mean basically they are getting a Grand deluxe room that maybe on a higher floor or so. Mysterious and a very poorly timed move in my opinion.

Dear Mr. demue,

Thank you for your email.

Please accept our apologies for the confusion may cause with regards to your query on room upgrade benefit for Royal Ambassador Member, kindly be informed that as per terms and condition of Priority Club Reward, room will be guarantee upgraded to an Executive Room or Suite Room. As our Guest Service Manager explained by phone yesterday, you may choose Executive Deluxe include benefit as following:

Executive Deluxe room benefit:
-2 complimentary items of laundry/pressing service per stay
-High Speed Internet access in guest room
-Unlimited city phone calls (except for mobile phone numbers)
-15% discount at Business Center
-15% discount for laundry service
- Set up Burner during turn down service

Or Corner Suite without Club Lounge benefit.

As a gesture of goodwill, we will upgrade you to Club Deluxe Room with Club benefit for both periods on xx to xx December and xx December 2008 to xx January 2009.

Should you have any further queries or assistance, please do not hesitate to let us know. We very much look forward to welcome you to your home away from home.

Best regards,

XXXXX (Ms.)
Duty Manager

Now this is fine and according to T&C's but I still think they are shooting themselves into the foot here. Very shortsighted IMHO in this current environment. 5* hotel occupany in BKK is at historically low levels, room rates are under pressure and there are around 8-10 new properties coming online in the next 1+ year. Now you give loyal customers one less reason to stay with you. Just my 2 cents.

Cheers ....

Last edited by demue; Dec 17, 2008 at 8:34 pm
Old Dec 17, 2008, 6:55 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, NWA WorldPerks deserter, Alaska Airlines Something-er-Other...
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by midnight
I have no doubt that you will enjoy your stay here.
Thanks so much Midnight! I really appreciate you taking the time to let me know all that! FT is so great!

I'm definitely looking forward to my stay next week! Is the lounge open all day, with snacks being served in the evening, or is there food at other times (outside of breakfast) as well?

I will definitely introduce myself to your friend there! ^
Old Dec 18, 2008, 11:49 am

BKK Club Lounge

Originally Posted by Paella747
Thanks so much Midnight! I really appreciate you taking the time to let me know all that! FT is so great!

I'm definitely looking forward to my stay next week! Is the lounge open all day, with snacks being served in the evening, or is there food at other times (outside of breakfast) as well?

I will definitely introduce myself to your friend there! ^

You're welcome, I am glad that you found the information helpful.

If you have breakfast included in your rate it is worth going to the main breakfast on floor M. The breakfast in the Club Lounge is much smaller, but still very good. It is possible to order additional items from a small menu and I recommend the steak.

I'm pretty sure that the lounge is open all day, but the posh snacks and alcoholic drinks only appear for a couple of hours at night. From memory it is something like 18:00 until 20:00.

The last time I stayed here was July 2008 but I will visit in January and February 2009 if they follow the lead of their competitors and adjust their rates to suit the economic climate.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am now at the Centara Grand central World. Very big. Regular check in 23rd floor, huge lobby with a bar / lounge. I have a World Club Executive room, with a huge wash room, with a shower and a bathtub with a window into the bedroom. Room is on the small side. Breakfast was good (toast, sausages, bacon, etc and some thai dishes, I had a made to order egg white omelet.
The lounge is 3 times the size of the IC BKK, but this is due to the sheer size of the hotel. The pool(outdoors) is huge, cannot be compared to the IC's tiny rooftop. the gym is also big with very good equipment. The only thing I miss is being greeted by name as I had been at the IC BKK. Hotel is connected to the mall, but you have to go through the parking lot to get into the Central World mall. I have pictures and will try to post them in the new year after i am back from Havana.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 10:02 am

Central World

Thank you for this report djjaguar64. This new property sounds like a credible alternative to the IC, especially as it is just over the road.

They are certainly offering greater value for money and I like the fact that they include all taxes and service charges in their headline rates, unlike the IC.

With breakfast included in many of their rates and regular updates to their special offers http://www.centarahotelsresorts.com/special.asp I will be looking forward to my first stay at this property in January 2009.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by midnight
Thank you for this report djjaguar64. This new property sounds like a credible alternative to the IC, especially as it is just over the road.

They are certainly offering greater value for money and I like the fact that they include all taxes and service charges in their headline rates, unlike the IC.

With breakfast included in many of their rates and regular updates to their special offers http://www.centarahotelsresorts.com/special.asp I will be looking forward to my first stay at this property in January 2009.
Alot of the staff is from the IC, especially front desk. Now, please do book a room with lounge access as it is worth it, not just because it is on the 51st floor but the View is breath taking. I will be back there in July 2009 with 2 others. Staff was very nice to me. Too bad my trip was too short. I was also lucky enought to pay 6700 Baht(all in) special for the 2 night stay as it applies only to THAI residents. ^^^^^

Last edited by djjaguar64; Dec 24, 2008 at 6:05 am
Old Dec 23, 2008, 6:09 am

Question

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
I was also lucky enought o pay 6700 Baht(all in) special for the 2 night stay. ^^^^^
I really want to cancel my two night stay at another hotel (not the IC, I'm keeping that reservation) and try this one, but the buy-one-get-one-free offer seems to be for "residents of Thailand" only. It does allow me to reserve it online though..... Wonder if I could get away with it....
Old Dec 23, 2008, 6:20 am

Programs: BA BD SA
I will have a weekend stay here early in Jan. The best rate seems to be the "Luxury weekend" which has some limitations. Am I right in thinking this should in no way interfere with my using a bogof cert?

Can anyone confirm if the renovations are finally finished?
Old Dec 23, 2008, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by websterlewis
Another big positive is being able to walk through the connecting corridor to Thai Charm which, with it's a la carte menu (better quality and value than the buffet IMHO) has to be the best restaurant in any Holiday Inn in the world - if there is a better one let me know!!

As IC is often full (another reason why reward rooms at 5K is both overtly generous and surprising). I have been tempted to have the luggage pushed through the corridor to the HI for one night - but the rooms although looking ok with comfortable beds seem to suffer from HI syndrome (smells, dust etc) which means I will be jumping in a cab. For $30 to $50 more a luxury hotel can be easily found in BKK.
Actually the Holiday Inn restaurant is very good also in downtown KUL- many consider the food there top for KUL!
As for the HI- back to discussion- it was a rennovated LeMeridien not very many years ago- I think you should be completely fine there- and save some time relative to getting to another luxury hotel. If You do decide to, why not just hop across the street to the Grand Hyatt? They usually have some good deals.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 9:48 pm
Suspended

I stayed there this year. As a RA, I was upgrade to a suite for my paid stay. Then I have 2 nights of award stay, they forced me to move to less class of room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.