Wiki Posts
Search

InterContinental Bangkok Master Thread [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2009, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by demue
I used to get put into an executive room or if I mentioned RA in the notes then to a Corner Suite. Now I reviewed my reservation and I got a Club room like in the good old days.
This has been the modus operandi there for quite some time. You either get corner suite without a club access or a club king. I choose the corner suite.

If you are SPG PLT you should go and check out the SGS. Their PLT benefits are better than RA ones at the IC and is nowadays my preferred chain hotel in Bangkok.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 1:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, United IK, AA LifPLT, Hyatt Globalist, IHG PLT AMB, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton G
Originally Posted by holtju2
This has been the modus operandi there for quite some time. You either get corner suite without a club access or a club king. I choose the corner suite.

If you are SPG PLT you should go and check out the SGS. Their PLT benefits are better than RA ones at the IC and is nowadays my preferred chain hotel in Bangkok.
Uhhhhhhh, don't you thing the SGS is a little past its prime and showing its wear and tear. The rooms are old
Old Apr 28, 2009, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by SethLevy
Uhhhhhhh, don't you thing the SGS is a little past its prime and showing its wear and tear. The rooms are old
In my previous post I didn't refer only to the rooms/suites but for benefits too that I receive from SGS as being SPG PLT or from IC as an RA.

Yes the rooms/suites are now more modern than at the IC than at the SGS.

At the IC I receive either Club King or Corner Suite. At the SGS I receive the usual suite + following SPG PLT benefits:

1. Breakfast buffet at the main restaurant or Sala during the cool season
2. Complimentary soft drinks/hot beverages all day at the Library
3. Complimentary happy hour beverages at Sala, Library, or BarSu from 6PM to 8PM
4. All day butler service that I mainly use for bringing tea, coffee, iced tea whenever I want
5. Complimentary internet access
6. Complimentary newspaper via NewspaperDirect printing service

+ instead of the We Live Like This Ginseng and Macademia (trash) toiletries they have at the IC the SGS carries Salvatore Ferragamo at the suites.

My personal preference today is SGS over IC. I normally do one nighters SGS-IC-SGS-IC depending how many nights I am in Bangkok.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 11:43 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by holtju2
Sorry but this has been the case until end of 2008. In 2009 they started to upgrade people (RA & A the same) to a newly introduced Executive room category (to comply with T&Cs) which is basically a Grand Deluxe room with some added benefits like free internet & some laundy savings. I had this happen several times and when I asked about it they told me even in writing that this is their new policy.

From that day on I always asked for Club room (I kept trying) or if not possible I requested the Corner Suite which I got. However, by default my reservation was "upgraded" to Executive room approx. 4 times in the last 2-3 months. That is what I meant. Happened to several people. For Amb I think it is okay, for RA not.

Now for my 2 latest bookings they have been upgraded to Club King again which is a welcome return (if so) to how things used to be. If they had your preference for the Corner Suite upgrade in your profile then I think that is why you didn't notice the switch from Club to no Club to Club again. Does it makes sense now? I hope so.

Ohh and thanks for the SGS tip but I got nothing with Starwood. Struggling to maintain RA, Hyatt & Hilton.

Last edited by demue; Apr 28, 2009 at 11:51 pm
Old May 26, 2009, 3:38 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
InterContinental Bangkok unveils fresh new look

InterContinental Bangkok unveils fresh new look following a THB890 million refurbishment programme

Bangkok, 26 May 2009 - An extensive THB890 million (US$25.9 million) refurbishment programme at InterContinental Bangkok is now complete.

New look and feel

The changes become evident upon arrival, with the reconfigured entrance driveway and the glass-covered walk-in entry at pavement level. Inside, guests take in a completely transformed hotel. In the lobby, clean lines and subtle textures are carried throughout, anchored by a contemporary crystal chandelier, pleated sculptural columns and rich wall features inspired by traditional Thai motifs.

The new look and feel emerges throughout the hotel, in every refurbished guest room and suite, in the dining and entertainment venues and on to sky-high Spa InterContinental and Infinity Fitness with panoramic views of Bangkok. The Club InterContinental Lounge on the 37th floor offers the same far-reaching views of the city skyline. Renewal reaches all the way to the free-form rooftop pool terrace.

http://www.ihgplc.com/index.asp?Page...rssfeed=ihgplc
Old May 26, 2009, 9:56 pm

Programs: UA-lifetime Platinum (2MM), IHG-Amb, HH-Diamond, Hertz-PC, Marriott-Gold, CX-AM
Did they do anything to improve the size of the roof-top pool? The pool really kills the hotel and is the main reason why I stop staying at IC BKK.

Originally Posted by Kalboz
InterContinental Bangkok unveils fresh new look following a THB890 million refurbishment programme

Bangkok, 26 May 2009 - An extensive THB890 million (US$25.9 million) refurbishment programme at InterContinental Bangkok is now complete.

New look and feel

The changes become evident upon arrival, with the reconfigured entrance driveway and the glass-covered walk-in entry at pavement level. Inside, guests take in a completely transformed hotel. In the lobby, clean lines and subtle textures are carried throughout, anchored by a contemporary crystal chandelier, pleated sculptural columns and rich wall features inspired by traditional Thai motifs.

The new look and feel emerges throughout the hotel, in every refurbished guest room and suite, in the dining and entertainment venues and on to sky-high Spa InterContinental and Infinity Fitness with panoramic views of Bangkok. The Club InterContinental Lounge on the 37th floor offers the same far-reaching views of the city skyline. Renewal reaches all the way to the free-form rooftop pool terrace.

http://www.ihgplc.com/index.asp?Page...rssfeed=ihgplc
Old May 27, 2009, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Compared to the IC's pool the Centara's pool area across the street is like an Oasis. You don't even feel like it is the roof top.
Old May 28, 2009, 6:21 am

Programs: EVA (Gold), BMI, BA, PC Plat/Royal Amb
Originally Posted by GordonGordon
Did they do anything to improve the size of the roof-top pool?
The pool itself remains unchanged really; just cosmetic changes really which is not surprising given the amount of room on roof.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 7:06 am

BKK club intercontinetal suite

Did any one stay at club intercontinental suite?
I only have a experience to stay at club corner suite.
Accordingto the web, the room size seems same but the rate of the club intercontinental suite is more expensive.
What is the differences between club corner suite and club intercontinental suite?

Thank you.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 6:05 am

Programs: IHG
IC Suites

Sawadee Krup Khun Thongchai.

A few years ago, before the recent refurbishment I stayed in a high rise Ambassador Suite. I think it was on the 35th floor.

The room was around 60%-70% bigger than standard rooms and had a bigger bathroom, but it did not have a separate lounge like the corner suites.

I was upgraded to this suite because I had stayed 50 nights that year, however I preferred the corner suites because I was a smoker and I could smoke in the lounge without the smell going into the bedroom.

Like the Royal suite, I have never seen the Ambassador suite on the booking system.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 9:56 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt DIA, IC RA
Originally Posted by THONGCHAI2009
Did any one stay at club intercontinental suite?
I only have a experience to stay at club corner suite.
Accordingto the web, the room size seems same but the rate of the club intercontinental suite is more expensive.
What is the differences between club corner suite and club intercontinental suite?

Thank you.
Since the renovation has been completed, there is no corner club suite listing. Instead there is a corner suite (which does not include club access) and a club intercontinental suite (which is a corner suite which includes the club). Keep in mind that the suite may be located on any floor of the hotel, and likely will not be on one of the club floors, but you will get access to the club if you have a club suite.

Perhaps others can confirm this is the case.

Last edited by NYCbustravelguy; Jun 2, 2009 at 10:02 am
Old Jun 2, 2009, 1:03 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, LTG & CCR; IC RA; Hilton D (free from BA)
I can confirm, I was there twice over the last 5 weeks and each time booked a club room and was upgraded to an intercontinental suite, and it is a corner suite with club access. I think I had 27th floor.
Fine rooms.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 9:07 am

Programs: IHG
5 Star offers

The IC Bangkok remains one of my favourite properties, but I am finding their rates unattractive in the current financial squeeze (THB 5,780++ = THB 6,803 advance purchase).

A colleague has emailed me a promotion from the Conrad offering rooms for
THB 3,400++. The rate is non refundable, but so is the IC advance purchase.

They will even upgrade you to a deluxe corner room if one is available on check in.

I have not stayed at the Conrad before but intend to try it on my visit to Bangkok later this month.

http://conradhotels1.hilton.com/en/c..._summerspecial
Old Jun 3, 2009, 9:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt DIA, IC RA
I think the Friends & Family rate at the IC Bangkok is roughly THB 3,500 ++ and I recently got an advance purchase rate in the 4,000 range ++ for a IC Club room upgraded to Club Corner Suite.

The Conrad is an excellent hotel! They also always seem to have a special going. The rate you quote is for a regular room, but these rooms are very nice and new. Folks at the CoOnrad have a bit of an attitude, but who cares if the price is right. The clkub lounge is excellent with good service.

For my money, I really love the IC Club Corner Suites, so I will pay more for them. If I was going for just a regular room or had no status, I would pick the Conrad. Love the Conrad soap!
Originally Posted by midnight
The IC Bangkok remains one of my favourite properties, but I am finding their rates unattractive in the current financial squeeze (THB 5,780++ = THB 6,803 advance purchase).

A colleague has emailed me a promotion from the Conrad offering rooms for
THB 3,400++. The rate is non refundable, but so is the IC advance purchase.

They will even upgrade you to a deluxe corner room if one is available on check in.

I have not stayed at the Conrad before but intend to try it on my visit to Bangkok later this month.

http://conradhotels1.hilton.com/en/c..._summerspecial
Old Jun 8, 2009, 10:42 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Just an update after my last stay about 3 weeks ago. Had booked a Grand Deluxe room (lowest category) and without asking or stating any preference my room was upgraded to a Club room with full lounge access which in my case is a welcome return to the way things used to be until end Dec 2008. In between I was assigned an Exec room as RA and only after mentioning that this is not really an RA upgrade was I given a Corner suite (no club) which was fair.

Now it is back to Club room which I prefer as my corp rate has no breakfast included. The room was on the 28th floor, apart from that all the King rooms are pretty much the same anyway (overall very nice though). I received a bottle of Oz white wine (Chardonnay) which was nice to see as I had told them on a prior stay that I prefer white if at all possible. The standard gift for RA is a bottle of red (Shiraz usually) which is too heavy for me to finish in one night and I don't carry a 15USD bottle of red in my checked luggage. Overall a very nice stay.

One difference I noted in the lounge was that in the afternoon there was no pastry & sandwich buffett any longer but instead you could order some items from a menu like scone, cream & jam or macarons etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.