Community
Wiki Posts
Search

InterContinental Bangkok Master Thread [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2008, 11:56 am

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG Gold, Fairmont PC Gold, IC Gold
Phuket is just dirty, not very cultural, and so expensive relative to other places in Thailand. I just think that if you are in Thailand there are so many other places to go before Phuket.

Well having just spent 6 months in southern Thailand, I would reccomend Phi Phi - as you had already suggested. I would HIGHLY reccomend Railay beach. (right near the city of Krabi) There are some BEAUTIFUL resorts on this peninsula - its not an island but only accessible by boat-(all the way up to the famous celebrity one called Rayavadee that is 1500-10000 per night). It is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen.

Also, if you are headed over to the east side, you can fly right onto Koh Samui, and take quick and easy ferry's to Ko Tao, or Ko Phangan. Ko Phangan is absolutely stunning, however, avoid had-rin as that is the party beach. Everything else is serene and peaceful.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 2:59 am

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
Originally Posted by kendalh
Phuket is just dirty, not very cultural, and so expensive relative to other places in Thailand. I just think that if you are in Thailand there are so many other places to go before Phuket.

Well having just spent 6 months in southern Thailand, I would reccomend Phi Phi - as you had already suggested. I would HIGHLY reccomend Railay beach. (right near the city of Krabi) There are some BEAUTIFUL resorts on this peninsula - its not an island but only accessible by boat-(all the way up to the famous celebrity one called Rayavadee that is 1500-10000 per night). It is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen.

Also, if you are headed over to the east side, you can fly right onto Koh Samui, and take quick and easy ferry's to Ko Tao, or Ko Phangan. Ko Phangan is absolutely stunning, however, avoid had-rin as that is the party beach. Everything else is serene and peaceful.

How would you recoomend Cha-am? The Regent Beach resort seems ok and it is close to Hua Hin which is supposed to be nice.

what is the closest place you would recommend to bangkok as a resort area?

Is Bangkok even safe now after issues and state of emergency issue few weeks ago?
Old Sep 18, 2008, 5:16 am

Programs: BA Exec Silver, Virgin Flying Club Silver, ICH Royal Ambassador
Stayed at IC Bangkok and alwaoys got great RA treatment, good gifts and plenty of perks, personally I would highly commend it.

HI Phuket I didn't like, not nice, avoid.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 7:08 am

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG Gold, Fairmont PC Gold, IC Gold
Originally Posted by navatwal
How would you recoomend Cha-am? The Regent Beach resort seems ok and it is close to Hua Hin which is supposed to be nice.

Is Bangkok even safe now after issues and state of emergency issue few weeks ago?
Sorry, I avoided most places near Bangkok because I heard they can get crazy busy on weekends. Especially if you are going in high season (Nov-Feb).
Old Sep 19, 2008, 12:52 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by navatwal

Bangkok is safe, not to worry. Just stay away from the areas around the prime minister's residence where all the protesters are. Their gripes are not with you as a tourist but with the PPP and its political leaders. My girl friend is going there in two weeks and I would stop her if I would think otherwise. I was there even during the military coup and never felt in harms way. Just stay away from the trouble spots. If unsure the great staff at the IC can advise you.

I don't quite share the opinions about Phuket except when you talk about the Patong area. Okay prices are higher than in other parts of Thailand that's a fact. There are nice & mellow spots around Surin beach and even staying at the Hilton in Karon was quite decent judging by the surroundings. Agreed there are more tarnquill and serene spot around as mentioned by others, but several parts of Phuket are fairly calm and nice. The HI Phuket is a very decent hotel with a good standard, just the location in Patong is not so great for families and relaxation seekers. Staff is great though and service usually very good.

As I mentioned before, I will be in Cha Am over Xmas and heard that it is very calm & quiet at the HI resort. Hua Hin is 20-30min by shuttle bus and easy to reach. It is quite a 'clean' place also in the sense of not having too much of the party crowd as it is the summer residence of the Thai royal family and when they are there police keep a tight ship on the 'entertainment front' if that bothers you.

Sure Phi Phi is great if you don't mind the bit tedious transfer. Koh Samui is lovely but no ICHG property there if that is what you want.
Old Sep 19, 2008, 2:53 am

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
Many thanks for your help and comments guys,

well appreicated
Old Sep 21, 2008, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
BKK IC Renovations

I called the concierge last night and was informed that I might have to put up with the renovations that are now going on in the Lobby, Swimming Pool and the Sauna/Steam Room areas. Now do hotels undergoing such renovations give a reduced or special rates?
Old Sep 21, 2008, 6:41 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
I called the concierge last night and was informed that I might have to put up with the renovations that are now going on in the Lobby, Swimming Pool and the Sauna/Steam Room areas. Now do hotels undergoing such renovations give a reduced or special rates?
Honestly, I wouldn't count on it in this case. I have been to IC BKK several times this year and also last while the soft-refurb of the rooms was still ongoing. Rates were the same as usual. I also have to say that I barely noticed the renovations. However, how bad it is now when public areas are done I don't know. You can email reservations and see if they are willing to reduce the rate or throw in some goodies. they can't say more than no.
Old Sep 21, 2008, 9:13 am

Indeed, last week I stayed there and they didn't offer any discount.

They did put up a "special promo" for US$150 for a deluxe(?) room a few more weeks ago and some here speculated that it was to cover the construction period. However the price was higher than the Advance Purchase rate so in effect no discount at all.
Old Sep 21, 2008, 9:41 am
uk1
Suspended

Or you can stay in the HI next door.
Old Sep 21, 2008, 9:58 am

Unfortunately they are (or at least were) breaking up the driveway pavement outside the IC lobby with jackhammers even late into the evening. I wonder if the sound carries even into the HI rooms.
Old Sep 21, 2008, 10:28 am

Programs: FB,BD,LH,EK,PC,HH,MR
currently stying at HI infront as they had a promotion. As Platinum they have upgraded me to the new wing behind so i dont hear any jackhammer in the evening. True that IC is not offering a discounted rate during this renovation (can be seen infront). I will be at IC next week after going to hua hin.
Old Sep 21, 2008, 10:52 am
uk1
Suspended

Some time ago, there were reports that the HI was better than the IC. I took the advice and stayed at the HI and was upgraded and enjoyed it. It was as good as many ICs. The only thing I didn't have was a free mini-bar which wasn't a tragedy.
Old Sep 21, 2008, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
I did not know that the HI had a new wing in the back. I thought the new wing is that which is closest to the IC and has the club lounge in it.
I have stayed at the Hi before but prefer the lounge at the IC, a whole world of difference.

Last edited by djjaguar64; Sep 21, 2008 at 1:35 pm
Old Sep 22, 2008, 6:24 pm

Programs: BMI/SQ/AFKL/PC RAmboŽ/Oyster/B&Q
Originally Posted by uk1
Some time ago, there were reports that the HI was better than the IC. I took the advice and stayed at the HI and was upgraded and enjoyed it. It was as good as many ICs. The only thing I didn't have was a free mini-bar which wasn't a tragedy.
RAs next door get treated very well.You missed out on a lot more than a free minibar

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.