Community
Wiki Posts
Search

InterContinental Bangkok Master Thread [merged]

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2008, 12:14 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Savage25
My upcoming stays: Booked Deluxe, shows upgraded to Club online. Booked Grande Deluxe(was the same price as deluxe that weekend), shows upgraded to Club InterContinental Suite online.
Same here. I always book the Grand Deluxe and get Club Suite. However, occasionally I also got a Corner Suite (no Club) so I dropped them an email to request upgrade to Club Deluxe room instead of Corner Suite.

On a more serious note - has anyone else noticed that the IC BKK is now 40K points for redemption? When the heck did this happen? Are they nuts?
Old May 12, 2008, 12:36 am

Programs: FB,BD,LH,EK,PC,HH,MR
I am not an IC RA so i dont know if i will still be upgraded to club. I just booked a grand deluxe and wait until then upgrade my reservation to club i guess. I was able to book a room with 30,000 points as well combination of my stay and seeing now that it went up to 40,000 ?!?!?!
Old May 12, 2008, 3:04 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by jexelot
I am not an IC RA so i dont know if i will still be upgraded to club. I just booked a grand deluxe and wait until then upgrade my reservation to club i guess. I was able to book a room with 30,000 points as well combination of my stay and seeing now that it went up to 40,000 ?!?!?!
Hmm, actually for 30K I would still consider paying the rate rather than using the points. But then that's a personal choice. At least you managed before the 'silent' increase.

If you are not RA are you then an Ambassador member? If not and you are purely PC Platinum there will be no upgrade at all unless you get lucky and they are out of rooms in your booked category. Not sure what the Ambassador upgrade is from Grand Deluxe. Drop them an email. they are quite fast responding.
Old May 12, 2008, 3:11 pm

Programs: No longer loyal "over-entitled" 1K
I thought Grand Deluxe was the refurbished room while regular Deluxe was the un-refurbished one.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 2:30 pm

Has anyone stayed at the club intercontinental suite?
My reservation now shows corner suite as I booked grand deluxe room.
I would have booked club room if it were refurbished ambassador suite, but the email I got back states that it's still in the process of soft refurbishing stage for the end of this month.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 12:11 pm

My understanding is that the Club InterContinental suite is essentially a club corner suite. It is NOT one of the two ambassador suites.

When I talked to Jamie (BKK Club InterContinental Manager) earlier this year she said that they were told by corporate that they were doing upgrades wrong in the past because they were not confirming everyone in advance and that they weren't supposed to be doing two-category upgrades but instead just club access or a corner suite.

Here is a link to some of my pictures and videos of the IC BKK refurbished corner suites, the Club InterContinental, the Ambassador Suite and the Diplomatic Suite.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 6:13 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by alliance
My understanding is that the Club InterContinental suite is essentially a club corner suite. It is NOT one of the two ambassador suites.
If nothing has changed over the last 2 years, they have Club InterContinental suites on the Club floors, but they would upgrade normal Ambassadors from a Club Room into a Corner Suite with Club Access and keep the "real" Club Suites for others.

HTB.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by htb
If nothing has changed over the last 2 years, they have Club InterContinental suites on the Club floors, but they would upgrade normal Ambassadors from a Club Room into a Corner Suite with Club Access and keep the "real" Club Suites for others.

HTB.
They would upgrade normal Ambassadors 2 level?
When I asked about the upgrade, I got an reply that I will be upgraded to Club Corner Suite if I book Club Room as a RA.

Alliance, how did you manage to get upgraded to Ambassador Suite?
Any special trick(s) or secret handshake?
Old Jun 11, 2008, 4:17 am

Programs: TK/QR Gold, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, Avis/Hertz PC
Originally Posted by alliance
Right. I have stayed in these before. They're just corner suites with club access included and may not actually be on the club floors.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
The new policy basically is that for RA's it is either Club Deluxe or a corner suite. Even if the Suite is Club Suite it doesn't come with club benefits.

Personally I prefer a suite over CLub Deluxe. The club is nice but I don't schedule my plans around when the club has breakfast/afternoon tea/happy hour.

BTW I tried SGS and was really satisfied. I might move at least part of my stays there. The SPG PLT benefits are great there.
Old Jun 14, 2008, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
In the IC's lounge right now. We checked in and got a Club Intercontinental King room with lounge access. I must say that the lounge is excellent. Hot food and cold. Staff very nice.
But I think that you should not show your free night cert until after a room has been assigned to you upon check in as i feel that when you show the cert they then give you a one level up upgrade room. Could you guys correct me if I am correct?

The room reeked of varnish, I called to complain and was told that they could me me to a room on the lower floor or leave the window open in our room.
I asked for the window to be left open and it has made a difference. We are in room 2607. Oh, I asked if the smell is toxic and I was told no, I don't believe that.
But it is a nice change for us from the HI next door.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 10:16 am

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
ICHG Properties in Thailand

Hi there,

I am planning a trip to Thailand and would like some opinions on the ICHG properties in this country.

I am RA/Platinum.

I will be spending a couple of nights at IC bangkok en route to a beach resort for around 6 nights.

Can someone please advise on the various resorts in Thailand.

I have seen the :

HI Cha-am Regent Beach Resort
Hi Phuket resort (brother stayed there 6 months ago and says it is good)
Phi Phi Island

I understand that Phuket is a 90 min flight away along with Phi Phi island, I also understand that Ch-aam is a 2 hour drive from Bangkok.

which property do you guys recommend?

is Phuket worth the extra journey and expense (alomost double price per night of Cha-am)

If you could please give adivce and recomendations on various ICHG resorts in Thailand I would be very grateful.

Regards

Last edited by navatwal; Sep 16, 2008 at 10:16 am Reason: mistake
Old Sep 16, 2008, 8:25 pm

IC BKK is great, as RA you have the choice (when booking a Deluxe or Grand deluxe room) to either get 1) a Corner Suite or 2) same room you booked but with Club access. The club is quite nice with good offerings athroughout the day.

Well I have only stayed at the HI Phuket and I can confirm that it is nice for a Holiday Inn. It is not a 5* luxury resort but a good 4* experience. Phuket is ca. 60min flight from BKK (check if your flight is from the new Suvanbhum airport or the old Don Muang as I think some HKT flights go from either airport). The car transfer to Phuket HI is ca. 30min for smth like 500-600 THB in a limo or half in a taxi.

Phi Phi is nice and the being on a small island may add some extra, but from what I heard it is a solid 3* experience. Also to go there rrequires a boat transfer wihich takes a few hours if I remember correctly. Check the hotel web site.

Cha Am is about a 3-4 hour drive from BKK and cost can range from ~2000 THB in a taxi to 5000 THB in a limo ONE WAY. I'm staying there for Xmas so can't tell you much but they have two wings with the main wing having Superior rooms (some newly refurb this year, but no in room safe) and Deluxe rooms (refurb 3 yrs ago with in room safe). The regency wing is the more upscale (supposedly) wing and you got regency rooms (no idea when refurbished and what state they are in).

Overall - Phi Phi is isolated and tranquil, Cha Am is quiet & relaxing (some may say boring) and Phuket is thriving and busy (the hotel itself is pretty quiet but it is in Patong close to the main beach and the entertainment scene at night). Depends what you like.
Old Sep 17, 2008, 9:28 am

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG Gold, Fairmont PC Gold, IC Gold
I would reccomend more time on the islands and avoid Phuket all together. Its a bad representation of Thailand
Old Sep 17, 2008, 9:34 am

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
Originally Posted by kendalh
I would reccomend more time on the islands and avoid Phuket all together. Its a bad representation of Thailand
why is it a bad representation?

What reasons?

Which islands do you recommend?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.